Change in Fancy Feast?

Coolgram

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has anyone noticed a change in the Fancy Feast wet food, specifically the tender beef and chicken pate? The last two times I bought it, there was a lot of water/oil? in it. When the lid popped open the liquid splashed out on the counter and on me. And the food itself didn't seem nearly as tender, I had to cut it up in small pieces and it definitely offered my plastic knife some resistance. Gracie has also not been as excited for her food lately either. She'll sniff it and then walk away. Eventually she'll come back to it and eat most but not all. Hope this isn't a permanent change in the food or I'll have to look for something else she'll eat.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I haven't noticed, ...yet...
You could try Chewy's Tiny Tiger possibly, although I'm not positive they have a pate variety.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Coolgram

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've never seen that brand, I'll have to look for it.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you need to look for some other food - back when the covid-19 supply chain issues came roaring in a few months ago Chewy's had no Fancy feast available. Zip / zilch / nada. By default I bought their Tiny Tiger in the 24 can box of 3 different flavors of pate style food. It is softer than FF, both Domino and Mr Poe made the transition with no problem as to enthusiasm or elimination. And TT is a bit less expensive. To let you know - they are now on the twelfth 24-can carton.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I feed a lot of different flavors of FF pate to Feeby, and I just bought a 'boat load' of them. So far, nothing looks any different and I certainly have not had to cut any of them up. She already had a recently purchased beef & chicken can, but due again for one tomorrow. Will let you know if it is it different from the previous one.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I feed FF Medley, Savory Centers, and Grilled and it all looks the same. BUT since you asked, I have found that the Friskies Shreds which I feed to a TNRed cat who does not live on my property is very watery. I mean, the liquid sloshes out as I open the can and there is clearly much less of the shredded food.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Follow up: Opened up a FF beef & chicken pate can today for Feeby - it looks just like all the previous ones. Strictly pate and some 'juice' as usual. Hopefully, you just got some bum cans from the same lot? Might check the lot number, just to see.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Coolgram

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes I will check the lot numbers. I hope it's just a manufacturing glitch of that particular lot. Time will tell, but in the mean time I want to find another brand that she'll like too. I don't know if we can get Tiny Tiger around here (PA), I don't remember ever seeing it but I'll look for it. Thanks everyone!

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I will check the lot numbers. I hope it's just a manufacturing glitch of that particular lot. Time will tell, but in the mean time I want to find another brand that she'll like too. I don't know if we can get Tiny Tiger around here (PA), I don't remember ever seeing it but I'll look for it. Thanks everyone!
Tiny Tiger is one of chewy's brands so you can only get it from them, but like I said they source some of the ingredients from china.

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok I was thinking this a couple months ago. Granted, my cat is having other issues right now but she has not been into her Fancy Feast like she usually is.

But its weird - what I've been noticing is the newer cans are dryer/have less liquid in them and smell different. But I don't but the Chicken & Liver pate; I usually get Turkey & Giblets, Beef, Salmon, Seafood Feast. I had a bunch of older cans still in the cupboard and when I gave my cat the old cans, she ate those but she hasn't been into the new ones. I'm convinced something is up with the food despite her concurrent digestive issues. Because the consistency is so different.

I found the Fancy Feast naturals line recently and I got a bunch of those cans to try instead. They are much juicier and have had mixed results with my cat so far, but mosty better than the regular classic pates. This might be worth a try - I got mine at PetCo for I think $0.20 more per can.