Change in eating

MsKraftiKat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Recently my cat, who appears to have an auto-immune deficiency disorder (evident in her almost CONSTANT lickIng)! However, she has recently started taking food out of her dish and putting it onto the floor. She sometimes eats off the floor or goes back to the bowl! She also has an over-abundance of saliva and as she (tries) to eat the saliva hangs out of her mouth! She is a rescue that I've had for almost 3 yrs and has never had an issue with anything! She is now losing weight in part to how she's eating but also related to not being well! Does anyone have any suggestions? She IS being seen by a vet! I would sincerely appreciate any ideas!! Thank you! Sincerely, MsKraftiKat

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry though for the reason that brought you here. Glad you have a vet appointment for her. Hopefully the vet will be able to determine what's ailing her, and there'll be an easy treatment.

About taking food out of her dish and putting it on the floor, I wonder if she'd prefer her food on a plate? That wouldn't explain why she'd go back to the bowl, but it might still be worth trying.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your vet didn't dx auto-immune disorder, your really reading the tea leaves there. Excessive licking can be a whole lot of things:

Cats and Compulsive Scratching, Licking, and Chewing

Taking food out of the bowl and putting in on the floor, well thats often just a cat thing. Annoying to be sure, but no dx other than "gross and annoying method of playing with their food".

Excessive saliva and weight loss are definitely more worrying symptoms. No idea how it might all fit together -- you need vet guidance. Haven't seen any vets post here, so not sure you'll get much help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MsKraftiKat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry though for the reason that brought you here. Glad you have a vet appointment for her. Hopefully the vet will be able to determine what's ailing her, and there'll be an easy treatment.

About taking food out of her dish and putting it on the floor, I wonder if she'd prefer her food on a plate? That wouldn't explain why she'd go back to the bowl, but it might still be worth trying.
Actually I think it's more an issue of her swallowing! I have been putting her food on a plate but all that does is keeps the food she spits out onto the plate and not the floor!!! In the two years I've had her she's always eaten without doing this! As to what's ailing her...after 4 appts at his office (and $800.+later) the Vet actually said that he's stumped!!! As I mentioned earlier he thinks it's an auto-immune disease and he doesn't know anything that could help her!!! Sadly she still keeps on licking and most of her right side from mid back to hind leg is furless and she looks like one of those abandoned animals the MSPCA keeps advertising despite calls to STOP!!! With her losing weight he also doesn't think she'll last long...BUT..at least she is NOT in any apparent discomfort or pain!!! THank you for replying!!!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A dental issue may cause excessive salivating. Has the vet ever checked the teeth and gums?

A second opinion from another vet may be helpful. Or your current vet can consult with other vets at a vet school or another vet hospital.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As to what's ailing her...after 4 appts at his office (and $800.+later) the Vet actually said that he's stumped!!! As I mentioned earlier he thinks it's an auto-immune disease and he doesn't know anything that could help her!!!
I know you've already spent a lot of money, but since your vet is stumped, I think you need a 2nd opinion. Maybe a cat only vet.

If you want to look into cat only vets, here a link to search for one in your area. Just be sure you choose "Feline Only" in the Practice Type Drop Down menu.

Find a Veterinarian and Practice | The Cat Community

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have the blood test results? I assume $800 included a blood test.

We might be able to get some clues from the numbers.

MsKraftiKat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes she did have blood work done but I didn't see it! I was supposed to call the vet yesterday but couldn't so I'm calling today! I am a nurse so I've seen the results of many blood work results but never for a cat! What should I look for?

MsKraftiKat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A dental issue may cause excessive salivating. Has the vet ever checked the teeth and gums?

A second opinion from another vet may be helpful. Or your current vet can consult with other vets at a vet school or another vet hospital.
I will be talking with the vet today and shall ask him about her gums and teeth as well as for a copy of her blood work which was suggested to me by "ArtNJ" I thank you so much for your suggestion also!!!

MsKraftiKat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I will be talking with the vet today and shall ask him about her gums and teeth as well as for a copy of her blood work which was suggested to me by
Yes she did have blood work done but I didn't see it! I was supposed to call the vet yesterday but couldn't so I'm calling today! I am a nurse so I've seen the results of many blood work results but never for a cat! What should I look for?
Oops..."ArtNY" I'm still new to using forms so I didn't realize that YOU sent both replies to me!! Again, I thank you!!!

MsKraftiKat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know you've already spent a lot of money, but since your vet is stumped, I think you need a 2nd opinion. Maybe a cat only vet.

If you want to look into cat only vets, here a link to search for one in your area. Just be sure you choose "Feline Only" in the Practice Type Drop Down menu.

Find a Veterinarian and Practice | The Cat Community
The BIGGEST problem I've run into in finding a Vet is that I live on Cape Cod where there aren't all that many vets and the Covid has "messed" up their availability!!! As it happens tho there is a Vet who is basically only a cat vet and I shall try to reach her!! Thank you so much!!:)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ask your vet to contact Angell Animal Medical Center for a courtesy consult. I think Internal Medicine would be best.

Referral Services • MSPCA-Angell

There's also Tufts Veterinary School and their small animal hospital, 508-839-5395.

Last edited:

MsKraftiKat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If your vet didn't dx auto-immune disorder, your really reading the tea leaves there. Excessive licking can be a whole lot of things:

Cats and Compulsive Scratching, Licking, and Chewing

Taking food out of the bowl and putting in on the floor, well thats often just a cat thing. Annoying to be sure, but no dx other than "gross and annoying method of playing with their food".

Excessive saliva and weight loss are definitely more worrying symptoms. No idea how it might all fit together -- you need vet guidance. Haven't seen any vets post here, so not sure you'll get much help.
I realize that "taking food out of the bowl........" could be "just a cat thing" but Chloe has NEVER done this until she started licking so excessively. Thanks for your reply!