Change in cat causing human allergies?

hds7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this. I recently changed my cat food (I went from First Choice to Oven Baked), and started becoming allergic to my cats. When I first got them, there was a small period of adjustment where my nose was running, but it went away after a couple months. But since I changed their food, I have been getting allergic reactions again. When my cats rub the side of their face on my arm, their saliva causes me red bumps and itching. And this morning I kissed one of my cats on top of the head, as I do many times, but it gave me an allergic swell almost immediately right on my lip!

Could this actually be caused by the change of diet? Or what could be causing this sudden allergic boost?

Last edited:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
It could be that your allergies are coming to the fore again.  If you got them as kittens, as they grow there are more allergens.

Best way to know is to change the food back and see.

Good luck!

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, my aunt is a doctor and she told me that our bodies chemical balances or something like that change every few years so that can also open the door for developing allergies that we didn't have before.  Luckily, there are some good medications out now that keep them from being such an inconvenience.

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
On some of the raw feeding boards I am on, people have noted that even if they are allergic to cats/dogs, they aren't allergic to ones that are fed raw, or at the least their allergies aren't affected nearly as much.  So yes, I'd say what you feed makes a difference as far as allergies go.

anjelikaj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was wondering the exact thing! I just changed my cat's food to another brand (supposedly is better for her than what I was originally feeding her) and ever since then, I've been itchy and have sneeze attacks whenever she's near me. :( She's always made me sneeze, but only if I pick her up. Now it's ridiculous! So yes, I'm wondering if the new food is making her dander so that I have a reaction to it?

catalytic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Years ago, I read that feeding cats fish/seafood makes them more prone to causing allergic reactions, so I quit feeding my cats any. I want to say it did help, but allergies have gotten so bad over the years, I can't swear to it.