Change in behaviour

Emily094

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my cat is a desexed female about 6 years old. She is affectionate never attacked anyone, lives indoors. I have been with my partner for 12 months now and my cat (Ahlia) has lived with him for as long as I have 6 months and lately she has started to growl at him and flatten her ears , he does give her a lot of affection maybe too much? Why would she all of a sudden do this to him, she doesn’t do it to me.

PeteyOchiFern

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. So I find that cats do better when affection happens on their own terms, and in smaller doses. Maybe he could reel back the affection and give her small doses of light chin rub, butt rub (whatever floats her boat) for literally a couple seconds and then walk away. This way she feels like she has some control over the interaction and is not overwhelmed. Maybe he could be the one who gives her a little treat with the shortened pats and rubs. Or maybe take her favorite toy and just have him play with her without too much physical touching. If she likes to play with rod and string toys that would be a fun interaction between just the two of them. These are just some suggestions. I had to deal with a similar situation with my daughter and one of our cats. He loves attention and rubs, but if she overwhelms him or insists on picking him up, he hates it and shows it. If you don't pay him any mind in the evening, he will literally climb as high up on your chest and neck and look into your eyes and rub all against you to the point where it becomes a bit too much for the human! LOL. But it's the sweetest thing and you can tell he means it, all the love he is giving. But again, it's on his terms.
Perhaps your partner just needs to reassess his interactions with her. Also see if you can find a pattern or trigger for her behavior around him. Don't know if any of this helps, but good luck with everything!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Does Ahlia growl at him all the time, just some of the time, and/or at any specific times? Does your partner have a new job and could be bringing in different smells on his clothes/shoes? Maybe different lotion/cologne/deodorant/shampoo/etc.? If your partner is not working, maybe there is stress from not being able to work and Ahlia senses the stress?