Change in behavior after turning one year old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

orchid131

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
   My small, black cat, Orchid, just turned one at the end of January this year. Generally, Orchid is affectionate (on her own terms of course
) but will always sit by me and purr constantly. She's very playful, in healthy shape, has been spayed, and is overall just a very sweet girl. Over the past couple of weeks, I've noticed a number of things that concern both myself and my roommate.

Orchid sleeps CONSTANTLY - I realized cats are supposed to sleep most of the day but the amount she is sleeping is so unusual for her and has happen so suddenly. She sleeps in the same spot at the end of my bed (a place she never usually sleeps), gets up occasionally to eat and use the liter box, then sleeps for basically the rest of the day.

Orchid does not purr at all. We finally got her to do it for about a minute the other day when we brushed her (which she usually hates, but she's also shedding a lot more than usual), but after that she went back to being silent. I sleep with Orchid every night and she jumps on my shoulder, settles in, and purrs loudly until she falls asleep. She also usually rubs her head into my shoulder, while purring, and she hasn't done this in weeks. Not only is this weird because she's so affectionate, but she's usually very talkative and lately we barely hear a peep out of her.

Lately, she acts like she isn't nearly as interested in me or my roommate as she usually is. Like I said, Orchid is very affectionate, and she recently has seemed as though she doesn't even want to be around us at all. When we sit down and pet her, her ears go back, her tail starts to thrash to show us she's irritated, and will ultimately get up and leave the area. We've tried giving her treats and wet food, which has snapped her out of odd behavior in the past, but lately she'll eat the treats slowly then goes back to sleeping.

I have thought about this very seriously and I cannot think of anything that would trigger this kind of behavior. She's in the same environment, same people around her, same diet and toys, same everything and yet she's acting so unlike herself. This might seem ridiculous to some of you reading this who have a lot of experience with cats; but this is my first cat I've ever had and I worry she either doesn't have interest in my anymore or something else is really wrong. If anyone has any advice as to what I can do, I am open to any kind of suggestions you might have. I'm really worried/ bothered by this behavior and I feel like I'm losing my cat. Please let me know what you think - thanks!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like there may be an underlying medical condition. I would bring her to the vet for a check up.

Is she spayed?

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While cat personalities do change with age, the kind of sudden changes and lethargy you're describing don't seem typical. Cats are amazing at concealing pain and discomfort, which is great to keep larger animals from preying on them but it can make it very difficult for us owners to know if something's wrong. That's why whenever there's a change in behavior like this it's good to take a cat to the vet for a full exam. That she's eating normally is a very good sign, but I think you're right to be concerned.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! 

I agree with the previous posts.  I'd take her to the vet for an exam.  Since her behavior change was sudden; I wouldn't brush it off.  Some cats also purr when they are in pain.  It can be self-soothing.  

Please let us know how Orchid is doing.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

orchid131

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you guys for your concern! Orchid isn't doing too well. I'm at the vet with her right now and the doctor thinks she has feline anemia. She just had a blood test and a chemical scan done and we should know the results by Monday. She has a fever, sneezing, pale gums and inner ears, and is lethargic. We have antibiotics until Monday when we should know more about where we go from here. I'll keep you posted, but thank you so much for your help.

floralhippie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat was like when she first became pregnant. Is there any chance that Orchid could have gotten out? I'm sure you haven't done anything wrong, and some cats are just weird! (Haha) sending you lots of luck! [emoji]128568[/emoji][emoji]128576[/emoji]

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat was like when she first became pregnant. Is there any chance that Orchid could have gotten out? I'm sure you haven't done anything wrong, and some cats are just weird! (Haha) sending you lots of luck! [emoji]128568[/emoji][emoji]128576[/emoji]
OP mentioned she's been spayed.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Orchid! I'm glad she's getting taken care of. I'm hoping for the very best for you and your baby.

orchid131

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Orchid had a good night! She ate twice during the night and twice this morning and even used the liter box last night (both things she hasn't been doing a lot lately)! She's had two hits of her antibiotic so far and we're about to take a third pill. The only problem is is that she has really been struggling taking this pill. She has to take it then chase it with water, but she panics whenever we have to do it. Does anyone have any easier way to give her her pill? She's made progress just in one night and I don't want her to ruin it by having trouble breathing or refusing to take her pill.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh good! For the medication, did the vet say if it can be taken with food? Pill pockets work for many cats, because they taste good and most cats swallow their food whole so they don't notice there's a pill in them. I've also managed to hide pills in baby food and have cats swallow them down without noticing them before, but they have to be small. If neither of those work, can you ask the vet to fill the prescription as a liquid form? For some cats that works better. I've also mixed liquid medications with baby food, but you have to be sure your cat will eat all of it this way.

orchid131

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone - I unfortunately have terrible news. Orchid was taken to the hospital last Monday night and was given a blood transfusion to raise her red blood cell count (as the vet confirmed that she had anemia). The transfusion went well, but Tuesday morning her red blood count level plummeted to 11% when it should be anywhere from 35-40%. The doctor took a sample of her bone marrow to discover that she had an exceptionally rare case of feline leukemia that allowed her to pass blood tests but was hidden in the bone marrow and eating away at her red blood cells. She was given a steroid long enough for me to drive home from college to say goodbye to her. I was faced with the impossible choice of either waiting hours-days for Orchid to pass away on her own or put her to sleep. Her vet told me that if she were to go on her own she would basically suffocate and having the cancer in her bones would make it painful for her to move. I didn't want her to die in pain or afraid, so I sat next to her and let her go to sleep. This is a pain I have never felt before - I felt as though my baby was taken away so suddenly but I am trying to heal as best I can. My boyfriend saw how badly I have been struggling and has very recently surprised me with a tiny kitten, Addie.(: Although no pet will ever replace my Orchid, Addie is such a joy and I really feel as though I need to take care of and love a pet. She's a fresh start and I think will really help in healing from the loss of Orchid. Thank you all so much for your support and advice - Orchid could not be saved but we did everything we could to help her.

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so, so sorry to hear about losing Orchid. Try to take comfort that she was so loved during her too short life and that she is at peace now. I know words don't take away the grief and sorrow so I hope that in time, you too will be at peace. Sounds like little Addie will help you through this process.
Be kind to yourself and allow yourself to feel joy in Addie...I have no doubt from the way you described your relationship with Orchid that she would want that for you [emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji]️

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
~I am so sorry to hear about Orchid, it is especially hard when they go downhill so fast and there is nothing you can do. On behalf of the mod team I offer our condolences. I will now close this thread out of respect for your loss, and I hope that you will find it possible to write about your special little girl in a tribute thread on our ' Crossing the Bridge' forum, where members can also pay their respects.

Status
Not open for further replies.