Change Dry Food

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi there,
Our kitty eats wet and dry food, she is almost 9 months old now and since very little she's been on Purina veterinarian diet Essential care for kitten ( only sold at the vet's office) and it's some how pricey, I'm looking in the option of switching to a more affordable dry food but still a good quality one, especially grain free.
What dry food do you recommend?
At what age can she be switch to adult food?
Thank you!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She can switch to an adult food now if she is done growing. You could also switch to an all stages food which is suitable for both kittens and adults.

The ideal switch would be to a wet food, they have fewer fillers and are more biologically appropriate. However, if you want to stick with dry food look for one with a minimum protein of 30%, mid range fat, and minimal carbs. You also want to read the label. Many dry foods got on the grain free kick and added a lot of peas as an alternative. Problem is peas have protein and cat food measures protein by human standards. But cats can't process plant protein, so pea protein doesn't benefit them. If it lists peas or pea protein or any plant protein you should take a good 5-10% off the protein quote.

Honestly, if you are sticking with dry the only two I know that are really good are Dr Elseys and Young Again, both ordered online mostly. They are pricy but are biologically appropriate and most cats will need less food on them so you'll find yourself possibly buying less in the long run. There area few manageable store brands, Nature's Variety is what I use. But I tend to buy limited ingredients to minimize the extras.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you!
She eats wet food too, two to three times a day but she really likes her kibbles so I give her some of it to keep her happy because when she doesn't get some she will not eat her wet food ( I know it's crazy) for example...when she eats wet food in the morning and I give her wet food for lunch and she hasn't had any kibbles in between she won't eat her wet lunch ( I give her just some in between meals)
It took me a long time to get her to eat more wet food and that's the way it finally worked for her so I don't want to risk it... so she's doesn't stop eating wet food.
Someone recommended wellness grain free, are you familiar with it?
Thanks again

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She can switch to an adult food now if she is done growing. You could also switch to an all stages food which is suitable for both kittens and adults.

The ideal switch would be to a wet food, they have fewer fillers and are more biologically appropriate. However, if you want to stick with dry food look for one with a minimum protein of 30%, mid range fat, and minimal carbs. You also want to read the label. Many dry foods got on the grain free kick and added a lot of peas as an alternative. Problem is peas have protein and cat food measures protein by human standards. But cats can't process plant protein, so pea protein doesn't benefit them. If it lists peas or pea protein or any plant protein you should take a good 5-10% off the protein quote.

Honestly, if you are sticking with dry the only two I know that are really good are Dr Elseys and Young Again, both ordered online mostly. They are pricy but are biologically appropriate and most cats will need less food on them so you'll find yourself possibly buying less in the long run. There area few manageable store brands, Nature's Variety is what I use. But I tend to buy limited ingredients to minimize the extras.

Attachments

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is thinking the one you suggested?
Thanks

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is the one I use, yes. My cats have done very well on it. Quality is consistent and they like the taste.
Perfect! Thank you so much!
I'm in Canada and I thought pet smart sells it... I hope so

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Perfect! Thank you so much!
I'm in Canada and I thought pet smart sells it... I hope so
If you see Acana, that's a good Canadian brand. Open Farm is another one you should be able to find in Canada that is good.

• Purraise
Reactions: GGG

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you see Acana, that's a good Canadian brand. Open Farm is another one you should be able to find in Canada that is good.
Yes, I've seen acana... I'll look for the other ones too!
Thank you so much

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In having trouble again getting Skye to eat wet food, the vet said it's fine if she only eats dry food but I don't like that....