Challenges of bringing in more

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We're looking to expand our cat family by bringing in 3 new colony cats and have some significant challenges that I could use some advice on:

Julius - male TNR'ed in 2012, bonded with Morgan

Morgan - female 1-2 years old, bonded with Julius

Bobbie - female, >1 year old, tailless

Challenge 1: Containment

Our cat family are volunteers who made themselves at home last year and as such we were able to give them free access to the outdoors.  Initially we didn't know if they were someone else's pets seeking shelter from the cold or something else.  While stressful not knowing if they'd return or not, we allowed them to come and go as they pleased.  They all stayed and their roaming gradually decreased to the point where they would not be more than 100m from home.  Recently we've had construction going on and have had to keep them locked up inside.  While they've tolerated it reasonably well, having become house cats for the most part, we have noticed a decline in their activity levels and weight gain.  Once it's safe for them to go outside again we want to give them that ability - but this raises the question of what about the potential new family members.  Do we go to the expense/emotional attachment process only to have them go back to their old ways?

Challenge 2:  Personalities

As you can see from the above, Mama (right) is rather dominant and has always made sure Julius knows he's the one in charge.  While there are dominance displays and some very interesting vocalizations, they would never come to blows as Julius would be very respectful and submit.  It raises a couple questions though, such as is it fair to put Mama (an older cat) through that anxiety/stress?  Will they eventually work it out and be able to live in the same territory?  Julius stayed with us without issue for several days last year during a particularly bad cold snap.  Unfortunately, he left at the first opportunity, only to hang out at the opposite end of the building.  Mama and Scotty would go and visit/hang with them on an almost daily basis so I'm not sure what to make of their relationships.

Challenge 3: Bobbie

I really want to get her off the street, her tailless genetics have left her with hip issues and you can tell it's painful for her to be walking around hunting for food.  I've been able to get close to her (she'll sniff my hand) but she had a very bad reaction to Julius when I was feeding her (ears flat, hissing, flattening out and backing up into a tire).  Julius was a complete gentleman, gave her distance and allowed her to eat without issue despite it being nummy wet food he would have downed easily.  It makes me think that she might have issues with other cats due to the lack of ability to communicate with her tail.  If it comes down to it I'd find her a no cat family if I can tame her semi-feral ways but there's no guarantee of that.  Should I ensure I have a home for her first before I try to bring her in (very difficult)?

Challenge 4: Neighbours

One of our neighbours has been feeding Morgan + Julius for some time, possibly years.  They've never brought them inside though and the cats have been living in an active construction zone for the past several months.  Is there a nice way to say "You've done a nice thing by feeding them but it's time they had safe home"? 

Any thoughts/advice are welcome.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi @JMJimmy  Thanks for giving these guys the chance to have a proper home.

OK, I'm going to start with what I think is the easiest question first; your neighbours.

Are you planning to make these three indoor only cats? If that's the case I think asking the neighbours if they would mind if you took them in would be the best way to go. If you're going to allow them to have outdoor access they are probably still going to visit the neighbours. In that case you could let them know that you are feeding them and allowing them indoors when they want to come in. Do your neighbours just feed them or do they have shelters for them too? In my experience the best way to go is to let people know that you are feeding, medicating, TNR'ing or providing shelter, etc and try to find out how much they are doing before you make any offers regarding the cats.

Bobbie: She's going to be a tough one. Has she been checked over by a vet? Is her hip problem caused by her being tailless or could it be something else? Arthritis or an injury etc. From what I know of cats who are born tailless they are sometimes doubly incontinent too. Trying to re-home and incontinent semi-feral is going to be tough. If you haven't done so already I suggest getting her checked over by a vet and find out exactly what her problems are before you decide what to do next. If she is in pain that is going to make her more wary around other cats. If you can do anything to alleviate her condition introductions should go a lot smoother.

My colony cats, 20+, have worked out their dominance issues on their own. I think that being born into a colony has it's advantages as they learn how to act around other cats. The same as someone who was brought up in a city would find it much easier to cope with being in a crowded, confined space than others would. Make sure you have plenty of beds, litter boxes and scratching posts to go around. Give them a choice of feeding spots so they don't all have to eat in the same room. Layers! The more layers of walkways, cat trees and cat shelving you have the better. Quite often a situation will diffuse if one cat is able to get to a higher or lower position than the other cat. In a multi-cat household a certain amount of hissing and growling is to be expected. I only step in if it's a serious fight; yowling and posturing and actual fur flying, or if one cat is being bullied away from food.

What are your ideas in terms of allowing the cats outdoor access? Is it possible to build a catio or put up cat-proof fencing? 

I think it's great that you are willing to give another 3 a home. I hope everything works out well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey @Norachan! 

Realistically due to lifestyle and floor layout we'd want our cats to be indoor/outdoor.  Because we are renting we can't install fencing (landlord won't allow it) so it'll be up to the cats to stick around long term.  Short term we're going to have at least a few months without access to the outdoors. 

We don't mind sharing our cats with the neighbours (we do that with Junior) but they need to come home for night time feeding/stay in until we allow them out again.  What we found with the original gang was that after a few months they'd spend 95-99% of their time at home (usually hanging on the patio) and take very short excursions to do a lap of the building, visit Julius/Morgan, or visit one of the nearby colonies (field behind our apt).  All these neighbours do for Morgan/Julius is put out food/water.  No medical care, not letting them inside, no shelter (last year they slept in a cardboard box that was atop a junk pile and came to us whenever it was too cold)  Currently they hide behind a pile of construction materials trying to keep warm.  A local lady and I keep an eye on them to make sure they're healthy & kitten free but it's far past time they had a place to call home. 

Typically I'd agree that talking with the neighbours is the right thing to do, from experience that's not so easy in our area.  Language is a huge barrier here, there aren't a lot of native English speakers and a huge variety of languages.  Talking about these things with someone who might know 600-1000 English words and combined with the differences in cultural attitudes towards animals it can be very difficult to communicate what we're doing.  Add in a "community housing project" and we've found it best to keep what we're doing to ourselves (vandals who destroy shelters, threats of violence for feeding, using cats as target practice, etc - not a good situation). 

Bobbie:  I've been tracking her since August but she was in an area that we only recently started to TNR in.  I wasn't aware of the potential for continence issues, seems I need to do some more research.  Her hip issues are caused by scoliosis, it's plain to see her spine twists/curves to the right.