Chair Steeler

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It was bad enough when it was one cat that kept steeling my seat every time I stood up but at least she knew when to move. Now my other cat has started in but he won’t move, and he wines when I try to push him out of the way or move him off. He will even get on the back of the chair and the second I’m up he’s down in the seat. I’m getting kind of fed up moving them very time I need to sit down. Help!!!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Is this cat that is now stealing your chair newer to the home, or just "taking the place" of the first cat who now knows to move when you want to sit back down? Is he looking for a warm spot?

If he isn't a cuddler, you might want to pick him up and put him on your lap. He's likely to steal your chair less if he thinks he is going to end up in your lap every time.

For a while, my cat insisted on laying on the lower half of my legs in the early morning hours. She's not trying to get me up, since my husband has already been up to feed her. I just move my legs away from her, and over time she has pretty much stopped. Of course now, she comes up and head-butts me! I pet her for a minute, and she is happy to move to another location on the bed. This is after sleeping by my side all night long. Go figure!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! Is this cat that is now stealing your chair newer to the home, or just "taking the place" of the first cat who now knows to move when you want to sit back down? Is he looking for a warm spot?

If he isn't a cuddler, you might want to pick him up and put him on your lap. He's likely to steal your chair less if he thinks he is going to end up in your lap every time.

For a while, my cat insisted on laying on the lower half of my legs in the early morning hours. She's not trying to get me up, since my husband has already been up to feed her. I just move my legs away from her, and over time she has pretty much stopped. Of course now, she comes up and head-butts me! I pet her for a minute, and she is happy to move to another location on the bed. This is after sleeping by my side all night long. Go figure!
He isn’t new, and he isn’t looking for a warm place. He is extremely odd in the fact that he doesn’t like to be warm he even likes stretching out in front of a fan. He likes to cuddle but only from the side, he isn’t a lap cat. Lately I had to stop giving him his joint medication because I couldn’t afford another bottle at the moment so I’m wondering if he is acting this way since he’s in more discomfort? Hopefully I’ll get him a new bottle soon.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Lately I had to stop giving him his joint medication because I couldn’t afford another bottle at the moment so I’m wondering if he is acting this way since he’s in more discomfort? Hopefully I’ll get him a new bottle soon.
Since there is no other changes in his behavior, perhaps you are onto something regarding the joint meds.

However, before I put Feeby on Glyco Flex Plus for arthritis, her jumping onto things had reduced significantly. I would think if he were in more discomfort he'd be less - not more - inclined to jump up on the back of the chair. However, if he is feeling some discomfort, he may just looking for some additional attention from you.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Demi used to steal my computer chair every time I got up. So I got him his own computer chair and put it right next to mine. Problem solved. :)

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Demi used to steal my computer chair every time I got up. So I got him his own computer chair and put it right next to mine. Problem solved. :)
Sadly not enough room next to my chair but there are 2 other chairs in the living room and his cat tree.

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Since there is no other changes in his behavior, perhaps you are onto something regarding the joint meds.

However, before I put Feeby on Glyco Flex Plus for arthritis, her jumping onto things had reduced significantly. I would think if he were in more discomfort he'd be less - not more - inclined to jump up on the back of the chair. However, if he is feeling some discomfort, he may just looking for some additional attention from you.
Haha he is so big that he just kind of walks up the arm to the back, only skip he has to make is from the floor to seat of the chair.