chain link dog kennel

2 dozen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Would a dog kennel keep cats contained? I am thinking the metal chain link enclosures. Or would cats just naturally want to climb it? We have one but should we line it with special kitty netting? 

Karen

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
With or without a roof? If without one, it won't contain cats. Our local shelter has (roofed) catios made of chain link fencing, and the young cats in particular climb to the top in a couple of seconds flat. The kitty netting can be climbed if it's taut (our balcony is secured with it), and your cats could still climb the fencing through the netting. Perhaps you could securely attach netting to the top of the kennel with lots of zip ties to prevent a "Great Escape"? Or put a roof (even made out of more fencing) on the kennel?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

2 dozen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your response. There is no roof so I'll have to come up with something. Two sides abut walls so don't know how I'll attach netting.

Karen

2 dozen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Followup:   Only one cat climbed the fence to get out so I keep him inside.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Will now be using it as a temporary holding cell for a feral colony that needs someplace to stay till the house they have been living around completes the closing. The owners were going to trap some and bring to another town without securing any shelters, food or caretaker.   Here is thread on the situation:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    http://www.thecatsite.com/t/315647/advice-on-soon-to-be-abandoned-ferals                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Any further thoughts on securing a top on this 20x40 kennel would be greatly appreciated.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Karen                                                                                                                                                                                              

2 dozen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Actually it is 20x20. The rear wall is the house and half one side is the house extension. So left side is chain link, front is chain link, right side is 10 feet chain link and 10 ft house extension and back is house.                                                                                                                                                                Karen

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just found this on YouTube:
This guy used PALRUF PVC Roof Panels that he bought at Home Depot on the top couple feet of the fence to keep the cat from being able to climb over it.  It sounds both easier and cheaper than attempting to roof the enclosure.  If the fence is tall enough that a cat can't actually leap over it, and if there's nothing inside the cat can climb to leap to the top of the fence (like a tree), this should be secure.

Margret

2 dozen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for that! Home Depot, here I come.

I believe I have seen that when I was looking for ideas to make the cat enclosure. When we went to Tractor Supply my husband saw the outdoor display of the dog kennels so we tried that and it works, only the one cat climbed it so he doesn't go out.

I had forgotten about youtube. Those panels seem like they would work but I hope not too expensive, caring for all these ferals, 30 at present, then adding these that number at least another dozen, is just getting too costly. I shall have to give up eating myself!

Karen