Chagas disease...Assassin bug parasite

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes,they actually exist and can be fatal to cats. I was surprised to find one in my kitchen. They are normally in the yard. They come in many different shapes. Luckily I do not let my cats outside

Chagas Disease is a serious illness that's caused by a zoonotic protozoan parasite known as Trypanosoma cruzi. This parasite eventually works its way into the body's circulation system, where it spreads to all the other organs, although the heart and brain are the organs on which it has the most adverse effects.

This disease is transmitted via “kissing bugs” or “assassin bugs.” Animals who live in South and Central America are particularly at risk of contracting the disease. In the U.S., cases are also commonly reported in Texas, Louisiana, New Mexico, South Carolina, Oklahoma, Virginia, California, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, and Maryland. Chagas Disease also may infect humans.

Chagas Disease and Canines
Dogs who contract Chagas Disease may live with it for months or even years before any signs and symptoms may arise. Even when the disease is in its asymptomatic stage, it can still be doing damage to the animal. From the moment a dog contracts the parasite, the disease can cause heart degeneration and inflammation. As a result, Chagas Disease can cause heart failure in affected dogs.
What if I wasn't home?
In most cases, younger dogs contract the acute form of the disease, while older dogs are more likely to suffer from a chronic form of Chagas Disease. In its acute form, the usual symptoms may include depression, diarrhea, anemia, lethargy, seizures, difficulty walking, increased heart rate, enlarged spleen, swollen lymph nodes, and congestive heart failure. In cases of chronic Chagas Disease, a pet will normally show signs of weakness, fainting, and increased heart rate.

Chagas Disease and Cats
Cats are more likely to be carrier hosts for Chagas Disease than they are to suffer acute problems resulting from it. But despite this, the disease can cause some cats to suffer convulsions and/or paralysis of the hind limbs. In cases where many the host's cells rupture at the same time, a fever also can occur.

Last edited:

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
That is horrifying! I'm glad you were able to find it. I live in Louisiana, I think I've seen them outside before but had no idea how dangerous they could be! Thank you for sharing this.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
They are in CA, more up in the northern part, but it is a variety that usually does not cause as much harm to humans. I did find a caution on an LA county website which said that they like to live near dog and cat beds, or in places where there are rodents. Scary.