Certain search links broken?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've had this happen before, but never thought to report it until today (DUH!). I will search for an article using key words I know are in the title, but on some occasions, I get a message - Oops! That page can’t be found.
If I then scroll through the section that I think the article is in, I always find it.

In this case, I typed in the article search field: 'spray a cat' and received a list of possible articles which included the one I was looking for. But, when I click on the article to access it, I get the message above. I know the article is in the Behavior section, so I scrolled through them until I found it.

The only thing I noticed that may have an impact on this is the fact on the page with the above message - the heading is listed as follows:
"Forums > Blog > Page Not Found". Not sure why it is reflecting it as a 'blog' search, or if it matters.

Anyway - pics of all the screens in the attached file.

Attachments

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Thanks for reporting this! I'll let Anne Anne know.

Not sure why it is reflecting it as a 'blog' search, or if it matters.
I think I know the answer to this. :lol: On the platform we use, "Blog" is the default as opposed to "Articles". Most forums have a blog instead of articles. The header was custom changed for us.

Last edited:

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I've had this happen before, but never thought to report it until today (DUH!). I will search for an article using key words I know are in the title, but on some occasions, I get a message - Oops! That page can’t be found.
If I then scroll through the section that I think the article is in, I always find it.

In this case, I typed in the article search field: 'spray a cat' and received a list of possible articles which included the one I was looking for. But, when I click on the article to access it, I get the message above. I know the article is in the Behavior section, so I scrolled through them until I found it.

The only thing I noticed that may have an impact on this is the fact on the page with the above message - the heading is listed as follows:
"Forums > Blog > Page Not Found". Not sure why it is reflecting it as a 'blog' search, or if it matters.

Anyway - pics of all the screens in the attached file.
Which of the articles were you getting the error message for? If it's the one about why you shouldn't spray a cat, it seems to be working on my end -
5 Reasons To Never Spray Water On Your Cat [Or otherwise punish them] – TheCatSite Articles

Let me know if you're still getting q 404 on the link I just posted. It could be a permissions issue that I'll have to look into. Thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I guess I am not explaining myself well enough (hence the hope that the screen shots I provided would help demonstrate the sequence of events). If I simply scroll through Articles and click on the one I am looking for, I can access it with no problems.

It is only when I do a keyword search and multiple articles are displayed as possibilities, that I will then 'click on' the desired one that I will get that 'Oops' message. I can only surmise it has something to do with the search feature??

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Hi. I guess I am not explaining myself well enough (hence the hope that the screen shots I provided would help demonstrate the sequence of events). If I simply scroll through Articles and click on the one I am looking for, I can access it with no problems.

It is only when I do a keyword search and multiple articles are displayed as possibilities, that I will then 'click on' the desired one that I will get that 'Oops' message. I can only surmise it has something to do with the search feature??
Hmmm, I found that article through the same search results. Are you searching by going to the Cat Articles section? Or using the search feature on a forum site?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hmmm, I found that article through the same search results. Are you searching by going to the Cat Articles section? Or using the search feature on a forum site?
I go to 'Advanced Search', click on "Articles", type the key words in, and hit ''search" (see screen shot 1). A series of articles are then listed (screen shot 2), and then I click on the one I want - that is when I get the "Oops" message (screen shot 3).

If I just search through all the Articles and find the one I want, I can access it with no problem by simply clicking on it (screen shot 4).

EDIT: I'll tell you what - give me a minute to 'deal' with my husband (LOL) and I will try going directly to Cat Articles and see if that makes a difference.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
EDIT: I'll tell you what - give me a minute to 'deal' with my husband (LOL) and I will try going directly to Cat Articles and see if that makes a difference.
So, yes, instead of trying Seach/Advanced Search from the Forum section, if I go directly to the 'Articles' section, and search with keywords, it works. So, I will do that from now on.

But I still don't understand why it won't work the way I had been doing it since I am still asking to search 'Articles' - I am just starting out on the Forum section to begin with. Shouldn't it work either way?

Don't misunderstand me - I do appreciate what I have learned today!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I cleared cache,history,,tabs. That solved the problem with error measages,security,gateway 502

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
But I still don't understand why it won't work the way I had been doing it since I am still asking to search 'Articles' - I am just starting out on the Forum section to begin with. Shouldn't it work either way?
Ok, I think I know what's happening. Our forums run on a platform called XenForo. The articles used to be on a XenForo add-on but we've switched them over to Wordpress (a blogging platform). We've created a "bridge" app that connects the two, but it's limited. It can't really cross-search.

So, searching the articles must be done from the articles pages. The search bar there is limited only to the Wordpress section (the articles). I'm going to see if I can figure out a way to remove the "Articles" section in the advanced search. I don't think there's a way to truly merge the two other than revert from Wordpress to the add-on (not likely to happen - there are many drawbacks to that add-on).

I'm sorry about the confusion and inconvenience! You definitely found a bug there FeebysOwner FeebysOwner !

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for looking into this so diligently! I am now searching directly in the Articles section and no issues, so what you are saying makes sense. It also explains why it didn't use to be a problem for me some time ago. Don't know if anyone does what I was doing, but if there is no way to 'bridge the gap', at least if someone else comes along and does what I did, we will know why it isn't working! Thanks again!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I understand what you are saying because it's happened to me more than once or twice. I would get frustrated because I knew there was a specific Article with the information I was looking for but just gave up. I thought it was an error on the site's end and did a different Advanced Search to find what I needed when trying to help answer a post. I'm glad you brought up this issue up and thanks so much Anne Anne for your explanation.