Cerenia?

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Apologies for the resurrection, but I found this forum Googling Cerenia and had a few questions.

Is this safer to use than Dramamine? How does it compare in terms of safety and effectiveness? Up until now we've been using Dramamine for our Albert but he has a few niggling side effects that we'd rather avoid. There's plenty of info on the web about the drug's side effects but all the pages I've found so far seem to be about dogs (http://www.veterinaryplace.com/dog-medicine/cerenia-for-dogs/) so I'm not really sure if the same side effects apply to cats?

Thank you guys!
As far as i'm concerned Cerenia is a wonder drug when used correctly.  It shouldn't be used to mask symptoms without a diagnosis but when you know what's wrong with your cat and you can't control the nausea, it's amazing.

mphscat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is a wonder drug!!! Rube was having bouts of hairballs this summer and the vet wanted to try the Cerenia and the vomiting stopped and the hairballs are passing through the stool. They tested him for hyperthyroidism, pancreatitis, gastritis, you name it and nothing showed up. Ultrasound still showed no intestinal swelling and his weight is constantly around 11lbs (I weigh him every Saturday at the same time and keep a log...thank you Stephen Q for that suggestion.

The weird, weird thing is that at night he may wake up and sneeze some and I know a hairballs is coming in the early morning. No sneezing at night, no hairballs. When on Cerenia (which my vet has said has been proved to also be an anti inflammatory), no sneezing. It is bizarre. He is currently on 5, off 2 or until he vomits again, then start again.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is a wonder drug!!! Rube was having bouts of hairballs this summer and the vet wanted to try the Cerenia and the vomiting stopped and the hairballs are passing through the stool. They tested him for hyperthyroidism, pancreatitis, gastritis, you name it and nothing showed up. Ultrasound still showed no intestinal swelling and his weight is constantly around 11lbs (I weigh him every Saturday at the same time and keep a log...thank you Stephen Q for that suggestion.

The weird, weird thing is that at night he may wake up and sneeze some and I know a hairballs is coming in the early morning. No sneezing at night, no hairballs. When on Cerenia (which my vet has said has been proved to also be an anti inflammatory), no sneezing. It is bizarre. He is currently on 5, off 2 or until he vomits again, then start again.
Great news provided as you say he is passing the hairballs!  If he wasn't passing them then the cerenia could allow them to get clogged up.  Are you brushing him regularly?

mphscat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am very cautious about making sure the hair balls pass through. Yes, I brush Rube but the culprit is Hootie, his brother, who gets Rube to groom him. I brush Hootie too but Rube is ingesting fur x 2.

While I've got you, the vet has never prescribed antibiotics for Rube (metrodozinale or however you spell it) which I understand is also an anti inflammatory and I can never get him to say WHY. Just "well, I'd rather wait" but can't pinpoint for what. Your thoughts? Obviously the hairballs are a symptom of something but like I said, none of the tests indicate anything, the ultrasound shows nothing (and they scanned him a good 30 minutes from top to bottom), and gratefully he is not losing weight. Feels good, plays, good appetite, etc.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am very cautious about making sure the hair balls pass through. Yes, I brush Rube but the culprit is Hootie, his brother, who gets Rube to groom him. I brush Hootie too but Rube is ingesting fur x 2.

While I've got you, the vet has never prescribed antibiotics for Rube (metrodozinale or however you spell it) which I understand is also an anti inflammatory and I can never get him to say WHY. Just "well, I'd rather wait" but can't pinpoint for what. Your thoughts? Obviously the hairballs are a symptom of something but like I said, none of the tests indicate anything, the ultrasound shows nothing (and they scanned him a good 30 minutes from top to bottom), and gratefully he is not losing weight. Feels good, plays, good appetite, etc.
Hi,

and ok about the brushing.  Many people feel that egg yolk lecithin added to thediet helps prevent hairballs in the first place.  See http://www.kittycatgroomer.com/2010/sept2010.html and http://catcentric.org/care-and-health/hairballs-species-appropriate-treatment/

As to Metronizadole aka Flagyl, it is most commonly used for diarrhea in cats usually as a result of a parasite infection like Giardia.  Yes it is also used to some extent with IBD cats but your cat doesn't seem to have an IBD diagnosis, and there are other drugs that may be more effective against IBD than Flagyl, which by the way is one of the most unpleasant drugs you can give a cat.  I've had to give it to many cats professionally and even compounded with flavorings they drool and fight you it tastes so bad.  So I have to agree with your vet: flagyl for hairballs - not indicated.  See http://www.petmd.com/pet-medication/metronidazole

The first symptoms of IBD are usually diarrhea/loose stool (with all other causes being ruled out) or vomiting without hairballs being the cause (and with all other causes being ruled out) and early stage IBD can usually be controlled with various combinations of diet change, probiotics, B12, and some other medicines.

I would personally classify IBD into 3 stages:

1- symptoms are controlled, IBD is in remission

2- diarrhea or vomiting is not well controlled, but there is no weight loss.  IBD is at least moderately serious and more (and stronger) therapies may be indicated.

3- #2 above plus cat is loosing weight - IBD severe and life threatening.  This is when vets start talking about biopsies and/or starting steroids like prenisilone.

But none of the above sounds like your cat.  Your cat ingests a lot of fur, and his response is to puke them up. Another less aggressive tactic than using cerenia is to look at food additives to help your cat naturally pass the hairballs as discussed in the first link above.  If you tried those and they didn't work, then Cerenia makes sense for you since it seems to be working.

Last edited:

mphscat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Rube gets egg yolk lethicin daily as well as a probiotic, digestive enzymes, fish oil, and slippery elm. I know that slippery elm is generally used for diarrhea but I know that it coats the intestines and it has seemed to help him.   And 1 tablet twice daily of Vet's Best Hairball remedy (and that is what keeps those hairballs moving along).  For a good while this mix did avoid the hairballs and then they might trigger off again.  He only eats Nature's Variety Limited Ingredients wet (primarily) and dry food.  Last time they started, that is when the vet suggested the Cerenia.

Rube's initial IBD diagnosis (presumed, never did the biopsy and since his weight is constant or he gains a tad, they didn't think it was called for) started after he was vomiting bile in the morning.  The hairballs actually started AFTER the bile stopped and he might throw one up daily for weeks/a month, then stop for weeks/month, then start again.

Now my normal vet was out of town on Friday when I took one of my other cats in and he is the one who actually does the ultrasounds.  I had mentioned that Rube HATES with a purple passion the last arrival who showed up just about a month before his vomiting started....so he said that Rube's vomiting/stress could very well be related to that.  We had moved and taken in a stray right before we moved and then the lastest came to us about 16 months after the move.  And I know I've said this until y'all are sick of hearing it but I also believe the vomiting bout they had with Blue Buffalo followed by the Temptation treats just set him over the edge.

I did also buy some Laxatone (which he loves the flavor...maple) and some Greenies Digestive Care and Greenies Hairball Care which he loves but I'm EXTREMELY cautious about giving them to him because I don't want to trigger anything.  Not sure if you Stephen or anyone else here has had any experience with any of those and an IBD cat.  I would love to hear your views.

sue stcharles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitty is 13 and has been vomitting with loose stools for almost a year, every night. 2 weeks ago his vet put him on Cerena, as nothing else worked (he eats z/d) and the vomitting and loose stools stopped. He now wants me to give him Metronidazole 1.5 ml 2 x day for 4-5 days. After the first day on this med, he began with the vomitting & lose stools again. I just do not know what to do for him, poor baby. Any thoughts? Thanks.

mphscat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What does he vomit? Food? Hairball? Bile? What color is it? What kind of diet is your cat on? (Wet or hard and brand). Have there been any new stress factors added in the last year? Move? New cat? New relationship?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ankitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Metronidazole caused loose stool for our cat also. It's antibiotics, so I stopped giving it and gave probiotics instead. I don't know what would work for your cat, but for our cat, we switched to all wet food (canned and raw) with no carageenan (nature's variety instinct works the best), mixed with some water and slippery elm bark powder, probiotics (refrigerated section from a health food store), and cerenia. We found a better vet, by asking local independent pet stores that sell raw food or holistic products. I hope it helps. 

grywlfjla

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Corinna is an amazing drug I got the liquid shot version less money and acts faster

darkhorse321

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Yes, the tabs are a pain to quarter. On a good day, I can get a nice, clean cut. But sometimes the quarters will crumble and I'm left trying to pick up each little speck to put in Sebastian's gel caps. 
  He gets a 1/4 tab as his maintenance dose and a 1/2 tab when he's flaring up.
OMG! Yes!! if you are talking about Pepcid AC?? I have a pill splitter and I still messed up 3 tablets last night!!

I found Pepcid ac 2x daily worked better than cerenia. My boy has what I feel is chronic pancreatitis and this seems to have been the miracle cure for him! Nausea wise. I found Cerenia made him SO gorked out, he didn't eat because he was too tired. I ended up using Pepcid AC and what a difference!

I also suggest b-12--I found that helped with appetite better than cerenia or appetite stimulant. lack of b12 can cause nausea, so if your cat suffers from IBD or has any digestive issues, it's a good thing to talk about with your vet.

patsyclinefan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat was given this drug yesterday.  She is not vomiting; but she is not normal.  She was up most of the night; crying out and not feeling well at all.  She hasn't eaten since last night, and that was very little. Our vet opens in 5 minutes and I am going to call them.  I was up all night with her.I

rlChristy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's been only a few days since started with Cerenia and he hasn't vomited. One time at night he looked like he was going to throw up and he ran out of bedroom, but nothing happened, so he came back looking puzzled. So I think it's really working. Does it make a cat sleepy?

I've tried some Rad Cat sample, but he vomited the next day. It has psyllium and I wonder if that's causing some irritation or something. But thank you for the recommendation. My other cat really loved Rad Cat, so I hope that once the vomiting is under control maybe I can add Rad Cat to rotation too. So far I found Nature's variety, Stella & Chewy, Bravo, Primal and Rad Cat at a local pet store. Maybe I will try hare today or feline pride once transition is done.

Yes, both of my cats shed a lot and they groom each other. I'm trying to brush them but I haven't found a good comb yet. The one I have now seems to be too sharp.