Cerenia with Meloxidyl?

alana0011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cullen is due for a dental in two weeks, and I worry that his teeth are bothering him. He didn't want to eat tonight, and he vomited. He's resting now, but I did give him half of a Cerenia tablet, which the vet had given me a few weeks ago for an upset stomach. Blood work showed that his white blood cell count was either high or low. I can't remember now, but when I called this afternoon, she said I could bring him in tomorrow for a Convenia shot or get some Meloxidyl. (It's not my favorite medicine, but I have seen it work wonders) Since I gave him the Cerenia earlier, can I give him a dose of Meloxidyl tonight? I want him to be as comfortable as possible.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
We're not vets and can't give advice regarding this, but can you call your vet's office, let the phone ring until you hear the greeting and see if they provide an after hours number you can then call to talk with someone in their clinic?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alana0011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was just wondering if anyone knew about this combination of meds. I called earlier and they said to bring him in for the shot or I could get some medicine. He did eat a little a few minutes ago and so I may just go with the meds. I'm not sure yet. I have one dose left that was for another cat that I didn't use, but after seeing another cat walk out of the bedroom (he has arthritis) I almost gave it to him. He goes tomorrow for his Adequan injection. We have some problems going on here, to say the least!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is probably best if you discuss what to use with Cullen when you take him in for the Adequan shot. It really isn't a good idea to administer drugs to a pet when those meds were intended for another pet. And most meds aren't going to have much of a positive benefit when given just once, unless that is all that is required (like the Covenia injection), so the Cerenia and/or Meloxidyl given just one time will likely accomplish very little. Also, make sure you discuss drug/supplement interactions as well.

I hope you and vet can get some relief for Cullen and get him back on track before his dental procedure!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alana0011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Cullen has seemed fine this weekend. He gave me a scare. My other cat Jet was going in for the shot, but I did get Cullen some meds for just in case.