Cerenia Injectable For Nausea And Vomiting

catwisperer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
My name is Lynne and one of my nine cats is Daisy. Daisy is suffering from the "treaditis" which is a term that has been created for cats due to the overwhelming number of them that have inflammatory bowel, liver, pancreas or stomach issues. Most cats diagnosed with one of the above conditions has some degree of the others as well. Just a little research before presenting my situation if that is ok? Daisy has been having vomiting issues now on and off for about a year now with visits to the vet and diagnoses of gastritis. She would go weeks then have 24-48 hours of vomiting and not eating. Most of the vomiting was clear liquid to frothy then some would be pink(blood tinged). She would visit the vet get medication for vomiting and antacids and fluids under her skin. Then go on her merry way until her next bought. We finally got to the point where we could not control her vomiting especially at night when she would go a long period without food. Took her to the vet and she was diagnosed with pancreatitis. This disease is very different than in people but still serious and can be hard to control. Now Daisy is such a love and very smart but if she does not want you to do something to her by gosh you are not going to do it!!!! At the vet she is polar opposite she practically lays down and opens her mouth for them to do whatever they want to her. They think she is and angel and one of the best cats they treat. While at home she acts like a feral cat. Makes me look bad when I tell them we cannot pill her or catch her to take her to the vet. Anyway they give her medications at the vet before leaving then the rest is left to us for the next days at home. My husband and I try like crazy to pill this cat for her nausea and vomiting but we seem to play games like catch me if you can and hide and seek! Each and every day is a new plan on how we are going to trick her to catch and give her this tiny 1/4 pill. While in the mean while Daisy is so upset with us her whole personality is changing, she is afraid of us, runs from us all the time. Really is sad but the truth is we have to do this to save her life. The next problem with the pill is she refuses to swallow it no matter what trick we use rubbing under her chin blowing in her nose putting a 1cc syringe of water in the side of her mouth. What ends up happening is the pill melts in her mouth and she starts salivating and frothing and who knows how much of the pill if any she gets! So she starts vomiting again and back to the vet we go. I ask for injectable cerenia because if we are going to traumatize her I want to know for sure she is getting the medication. The vet agrees and gives me a prescription for the medication and gives her an injection before leaving and gives me four doses for home until I can get medication from internet site. Cost at vet for 5 doses $104.90 and online site with 25% off $120.55 and this is for 40 or more doses depending on lessening the dose of 0.5cc to 0.25cc. Anyway my question is most sites say you can only give the injections for 7 days in a row and then nothing is mentioned about how long to wait between or anything about recommendations after that time. Does anyone know if you can keep giving the medication injectable for prolonged periods without harm to your cat? If not what is the regimen to do for injectable Cerenia? Thanks for your time listening to my story and hopefully answering my questions.

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is something I would definitely ask your vet. I have had my orange lady injected when she has been nauseous, but we have always had luck with the pill at home. I believe that the injectable might be a higher dosage as well. There are other anti nausea medications out there too.

I sympathize completely. I have a cat that is half feral and near impossible to pill. She’s a sweet girl most of the time but I get one shot before she flips out.

Best of luck and I hope you get some answers!

prairiepanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For a while I was giving my old cat a shot of injectable Cerenia once a week, as recommended by her vet. You should talk to your vet about long-term usage specific to your cat.

One thing you should be aware of though is that the Cerenia shot burns going in, so your cat will likely try to jump away immediately as you are injecting it. Be as quick as possible.

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello,
My name is Lynne and one of my nine cats is Daisy. Daisy is suffering from the "treaditis" which is a term that has been created for cats due to the overwhelming number of them that have inflammatory bowel, liver, pancreas or stomach issues. Most cats diagnosed with one of the above conditions has some degree of the others as well. Just a little research before presenting my situation if that is ok? Daisy has been having vomiting issues now on and off for about a year now with visits to the vet and diagnoses of gastritis. She would go weeks then have 24-48 hours of vomiting and not eating. Most of the vomiting was clear liquid to frothy then some would be pink(blood tinged). She would visit the vet get medication for vomiting and antacids and fluids under her skin. Then go on her merry way until her next bought. We finally got to the point where we could not control her vomiting especially at night when she would go a long period without food. Took her to the vet and she was diagnosed with pancreatitis. This disease is very different than in people but still serious and can be hard to control. Now Daisy is such a love and very smart but if she does not want you to do something to her by gosh you are not going to do it!!!! At the vet she is polar opposite she practically lays down and opens her mouth for them to do whatever they want to her. They think she is and angel and one of the best cats they treat. While at home she acts like a feral cat. Makes me look bad when I tell them we cannot pill her or catch her to take her to the vet. Anyway they give her medications at the vet before leaving then the rest is left to us for the next days at home. My husband and I try like crazy to pill this cat for her nausea and vomiting but we seem to play games like catch me if you can and hide and seek! Each and every day is a new plan on how we are going to trick her to catch and give her this tiny 1/4 pill. While in the mean while Daisy is so upset with us her whole personality is changing, she is afraid of us, runs from us all the time. Really is sad but the truth is we have to do this to save her life. The next problem with the pill is she refuses to swallow it no matter what trick we use rubbing under her chin blowing in her nose putting a 1cc syringe of water in the side of her mouth. What ends up happening is the pill melts in her mouth and she starts salivating and frothing and who knows how much of the pill if any she gets! So she starts vomiting again and back to the vet we go. I ask for injectable cerenia because if we are going to traumatize her I want to know for sure she is getting the medication. The vet agrees and gives me a prescription for the medication and gives her an injection before leaving and gives me four doses for home until I can get medication from internet site. Cost at vet for 5 doses $104.90 and online site with 25% off $120.55 and this is for 40 or more doses depending on lessening the dose of 0.5cc to 0.25cc. Anyway my question is most sites say you can only give the injections for 7 days in a row and then nothing is mentioned about how long to wait between or anything about recommendations after that time. Does anyone know if you can keep giving the medication injectable for prolonged periods without harm to your cat? If not what is the regimen to do for injectable Cerenia? Thanks for your time listening to my story and hopefully answering my questions.
I empathize with you. My cat has triad disease: IBD, pancreatitis and chronic hepatitis. She has has the IBD for fourteen years. This morning she vomited blood so we are off to the vet tomorrow again. She is supposed to start Cerenia too but she foams and drools and throws it up. For her other meds I feed her some first and then roll the pill in some food and stick it into her mouth. It usually works. I might try that with the Cerenia even though she is supposed to take it before eating. I am truly frustrated with the addition of agar agar or guar gum or carreeghean or chick peas or green peas in cat food. It causes inflammation that cats can't tolerate. Why do companies think people want thickened gravy when what they want is a healthy cat!!! Please voice your protest at your manufacturer of cat food. They need to hear from cat parents what is needed and what we want.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There used to be someone here who gave her cat cerenia long term. I think she gave it 5 days then took two days off. She always took him off on the weekends so she wouldn't be at work all day on those days. Cerenia depresses production of a chemical in the brain, the break is so production returns to normal. Her cat had primarily chronic pancreatis but as you said everything is involved. My IBD kitty has had liver involvement in the past and now has liver damage. So far he seems to have avoided pancreas involvement.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat was diagnosed with possible triaditis some months ago. She had IBD, she was found with a cholangiohepatitis and the test said she had pancreatitis too.
So we first treated her pancreas and I saw that something was going better.
Then we investigated on her IBD, the cause being found in a long list of ingredients in cat food. We switched her diet completely and we were lucky to find the novel protein that didn't bother her at the first attempt.
Her liver is rather under control since I started giving her a supplement.

Have you tried different diets? My cat had severe troubles with grains and cereals in the wet and dry food.

I have to say that my cat is/was hyperthyroid. She was treated 10 weeks ago with I-131 and we are waiting to see if the thyroid is going to work normally. Hyperthyroidism is responsible for a lot of bad diseases, including GI issues.
Have you considered that your cat might be hyper-T?
In the last 10 weeks she has never vomited, so I think that the I-131 treatment fixed not only the thyroid problem.

This said, my cat had frequent episodes of vomit, especialy in the morning, but occasionally even after a meal. She also had days when she was sick and didn't want to eat at all. I had to shot her with Cerenia very often, though not on a long term, and I think that a course of injections could give a some time relief, long enough before starting it over.
As prairiepanda prairiepanda said, the shots sting a lot, be quick. And switch leg every day.
I also gave her shots of Ranitidine to help her stomach.
Every time I needed to give Cerenia to my cat, my vet would give her a shot at the clinic and would hand me four more syringes for the next days, I would pay 20 euro for them, and I thought they were ripping me off! But $105, my God!
The price of the tiny bottle is 80 euro and for a 5 kg cat it is enough for 40 shots.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
YES go with injectable Cerenia!! My angel Floey was on daily injections. We didn't take a break due to it being fatal-we knew it was inevitable so we decided to forgo the 5 day on 2 day off. But that's only because of the cancer. I also have used Cerenia in my young cat-a shot lasted her 48 hours. So you may not need to give it daily. Also if you want to do injection Cerenia-see if they can send you home with a bag of fluids/needles etc because this combo of sub fluids AND Cerenia go hand and hand for triage inflammation. The pancreatitis needs more fluids to help flush the body of the inflammation. As long as no cardiac issues going on. Now granted she may hide and give you grief-now I will say-the first two or 3 times of administering will be stressful BUT if there's a favorite area she likes to lay=I would do the sub fluids/injections in the same spot all the time.

In time she will get used to it=yes I have a cat who is a hellion at home but perfect angel at the vets. At home she fights the pills so I always do injections/inhaled meds instead.

I found my old girl loved laying ontop of the toilet-we bought a rug cover for the lid=hang the fluids on shower rack-and it was the perfect height to not have to bend over too far. And shut the door so she couldn't dart off. Some people make a bed out of a banana box and have it on the couch or other quiet area.

I am glad you are being proactive in her healthcare. Don't be afraid to be alpha cat when it comes to meds. We just have to be matter of fact firm but gentle. What I did is prepare a dish of yummy wet food or tuna BEFORE medicating=so they come in the kitchen and meow...so I just scoop up kitty and take her in the bathroom to administer meds-I had things laid out before-it's a pain to plan out but makes it go so much easier..plus she probably will appreciate you not messing with her mouth. Some cats just hate their face touched for some reason.

So in answer to your question-you can try giving every 48 hours for a week to see how she responds-you may only need it in short spurts- I don't think there's any harm in using for a week then 2 days off kind of thing. What does the vet think? oh yes keep the vial in the frig-it WILL sting-I give the injection then pull needle out and with other hand rub the spot and kiss the cat..usually they will be ok in about a minute but yes they will want to take off or hiss. if you get her laying down meatloaf=it will be easier to administer.

sorry so long-just wanted to let you know what we did for my angel when she had Pancreatitis/cancer.

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Re : Zofran antivomiting med instead of cerenia, // budesonide instead of prednisone steroid for IBD // lowering steroid dose for pancreatitis //, amlodipine blood pressure meds for helping with kidney failure // and how I pill with food for my kitty: // and questions about b12 shots:
Well my baby (kitty) is doing better then worse again. Hopefully better again soon.
Her vet now lowered her budesonide to once a day (she was on a little higher of this steroid as it was twice a day). She is slowly adjusting. Budesonide steroid is supposed to be safer for IBD as it does not affect other organs as much as predisone. Lowering the steroid is supposed to also help reduce the pancreatitis. Will see.
Her internal Med vet put her on a different anti vomiting Med which I think works well for her relaxing her muscles enough as she used to throw up after muscle contraction for her bowel movement. It is Zofran. It works better for her than Cerenia as there is no constant foaming at the mouth. Her poops are less strained.
She is still on clavomox antibiotic and she is taking 1/4 tablet lowest dose Pepsid ac antiacid twice a day.
She is also taking amlodipine for hypertension and stage two kidney failure which helped pull her out of kidney failure.
To pill her I put the half pill into a bit of wet food, sit her in my lap facing away from me, with my left hand from below I crank her mouth open and with my right hand I shove the pill in food into the back of her mouth. It is easy to pull small pills or compounded smallest capsules in her this way. Sometimes they slide out as she munches to swallow the food(pill) so you have to put it back in but I give her two tiny capsules (compounded meds) and three tiny pills this way. She doesn't mind because it is in food.
Am wondering about b12 shots. Her vet gave her one at her last visit at 250 mcg of 1000mcg per ml. That is equal to the dose I take for my pernicious anemia. I thought it was too high a dose but kitties take that. All b12 has some little amount of aluminum in it from the manufacturing process and labels have warnings of not taking too much for infants because of the aluminum. Aluminum can contribute to kidney failure. I am trying to research the dose for kitties but so far no info.
Prayers for all our struggling kitties. Hope some of this info helps some of you as my vet is a former professor at UC Davis and usually has pretty good judgement and info.

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Re : Zofran antivomiting med instead of cerenia, // budesonide instead of prednisone steroid for IBD // lowering steroid dose for pancreatitis //, amlodipine blood pressure meds for helping with kidney failure // and how I pill with food for my kitty: // and questions about b12 shots:
Well my baby (kitty) is doing better then worse again. Hopefully better again soon.
Her vet now lowered her budesonide to once a day (she was on a little higher of this steroid as it was twice a day). She is slowly adjusting. Budesonide steroid is supposed to be safer for IBD as it does not affect other organs as much as predisone. Lowering the steroid is supposed to also help reduce the pancreatitis. Will see.
Her internal Med vet put her on a different anti vomiting Med which I think works well for her relaxing her muscles enough as she used to throw up after muscle contraction for her bowel movement. It is Zofran. It works better for her than Cerenia as there is no constant foaming at the mouth. Her poops are less strained.
She is still on clavomox antibiotic and she is taking 1/4 tablet lowest dose Pepsid ac antiacid twice a day.
She is also taking amlodipine for hypertension and stage two kidney failure which helped pull her out of kidney failure.
To pill her I put the half pill into a bit of wet food, sit her in my lap facing away from me, with my left hand from below I crank her mouth open and with my right hand I shove the pill in food into the back of her mouth. It is easy to pull small pills or compounded smallest capsules in her this way. Sometimes they slide out as she munches to swallow the food(pill) so you have to put it back in but I give her two tiny capsules (compounded meds) and three tiny pills this way. She doesn't mind because it is in food.
Am wondering about b12 shots. Her vet gave her one at her last visit at 250 mcg of 1000mcg per ml. That is equal to the dose I take for my pernicious anemia. I thought it was too high a dose but kitties take that. All b12 has some little amount of aluminum in it from the manufacturing process and labels have warnings of not taking too much for infants because of the aluminum. Aluminum can contribute to kidney failure. I am trying to research the dose for kitties but so far no info.
Prayers for all our struggling kitties. Hope some of this info helps some of you as my vet is a former professor at UC Davis and usually has pretty good judgement and info.
Hi! Very old thread but I just wanted to let you know the cyanocobalamin at the vet "animal use only" bs contains no aluminum in the ingredients where our "human form" aka 5000 times over priced contains aluminum. I may or may not use my kitties b12 on myself when I run out of mine I also have PA

Source: I work for a vet clinic and have read almost every bottle ingredient for meds and curious about the b12 vets stock and no aluminum D:

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi! Very old thread but I just wanted to let you know the cyanocobalamin at the vet "animal use only" bs contains no aluminum in the ingredients where our "human form" aka 5000 times over priced contains aluminum. I may or may not use my kitties b12 on myself when I run out of mine I also have PA

Source: I work for a vet clinic and have read almost every bottle ingredient for meds and curious about the b12 vets stock and no aluminum D:

I myself have pernicious anemia and have injected a small amount weekly for 27 years so I surely would like to know the brand name that has no aluminum in it - I found another way to give cats B12 - it is a pill called Cobalaquin and has been tested safe for IBD cats at a Texas A&M. Tutu is on this and I break it in half to give her a small amount daily. One note: my internal Med vet really screwed up increasing her steroid for repeated urinary tract bleeding that she thought was inflammation and I insisted were infections. Tutu started losing weight and going downhill with dilated eyes all day and hyper meowing. I kept insisting on antibiotics. Then she wanted to put her on Leukeran but I just didn’t think she needed it yet as there was no diarrhea or vomiting. I consulted a Cornell oncology vet and a U of Wisconsin oncology vet and both said it wouldn’t hurt to try to lower her steroid again that I wanted to do. She just seemed steroided out to me. Then my vet finally got a positive culture on her Urine and she was on the wrong antibiotic. Several rounds of zenoquin later my internal medicine vet insisted on Leukeran or go elsewhere and elsewhere we went. Once I lowered her Budesonide back to .4 mg a day instead of the .6 she had been put on her blue eyes came back and her weight though lower than normal stabilized and came up a little. She is doing a lot better. One thing that was happening is every time urine was drawn she ended up with a UTI so no more urine draws unless there is a real good reason. She is finally stabile might be on the verge of converting to intestinal lymphoma but her ultrasound from a March to Sept are not showing too much lining increase at the new internal medicine vet so we are putting off Leukeran for now. The lesson is to trust your instinct on your cat, research on line, and try going down the path you believe in -you can always reverse your steps and sometimes a second third or fourth opinion is what will put you on the right path!!!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! Very old thread but I just wanted to let you know the cyanocobalamin at the vet "animal use only" bs contains no aluminum in the ingredients where our "human form" aka 5000 times over priced contains aluminum.
That's strange, and I think it might depend on the market.
Over here the same med (Dobetin 5000) contains 5 mg Cobalamin, Sodium Acetate and Saline Solution.
The pack is 5 vials (2 ml each) at about €8.00.

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I myself have pernicious anemia and have injected a small amount weekly for 27 years so I surely would like to know the brand name that has no aluminum in it - I found another way to give cats B12 - it is a pill called Cobalaquin and has been tested safe for IBD cats at a Texas A&M. Tutu is on this and I break it in half to give her a small amount daily. One note: my internal Med vet really screwed up increasing her steroid for repeated urinary tract bleeding that she thought was inflammation and I insisted were infections. Tutu started losing weight and going downhill with dilated eyes all day and hyper meowing. I kept insisting on antibiotics. Then she wanted to put her on Leukeran but I just didn’t think she needed it yet as there was no diarrhea or vomiting. I consulted a Cornell oncology vet and a U of Wisconsin oncology vet and both said it wouldn’t hurt to try to lower her steroid again that I wanted to do. She just seemed steroided out to me. Then my vet finally got a positive culture on her Urine and she was on the wrong antibiotic. Several rounds of zenoquin later my internal medicine vet insisted on Leukeran or go elsewhere and elsewhere we went. Once I lowered her Budesonide back to .4 mg a day instead of the .6 she had been put on her blue eyes came back and her weight though lower than normal stabilized and came up a little. She is doing a lot better. One thing that was happening is every time urine was drawn she ended up with a UTI so no more urine draws unless there is a real good reason. She is finally stabile might be on the verge of converting to intestinal lymphoma but her ultrasound from a March to Sept are not showing too much lining increase at the new internal medicine vet so we are putting off Leukeran for now. The lesson is to trust your instinct on your cat, research on line, and try going down the path you believe in -you can always reverse your steps and sometimes a second third or fourth opinion is what will put you on the right path!!!
It is just Cobalamin on Valleyvet.com and its vet one brand

I think not all cyano for humans contains it but in america I've only found human cyano that has aluminum in it but the animal one doesnt ..

That is good to know about the pills but since mine already gets 8 pills a day I'd much rather do a quick poke once a week for him. I'm glad kitty is doing better..sounds like they didnt know what they were doing at all.makes me angry

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It is just Cobalamin on Valleyvet.com and its vet one brand

I think not all cyano for humans contains it but in america I've only found human cyano that has aluminum in it but the animal one doesnt ..

That is good to know about the pills but since mine already gets 8 pills a day I'd much rather do a quick poke once a week for him. I'm glad kitty is doing better..sounds like they didnt know what they were doing at all.makes me angry
The cobalaquin is hydrolyzed chicken flavored (not with protein that hurts IBD or triad disease) so they can chew it like a treat. I give one half daily as Tutu’s B12 was stable and she is little. Tutu is a lot more stable. Tutu’s new vet gave me a choice Tylosin antibiotic for her intestines or a probiotic. I put Tutu on Tylosin first for about 10 days. Her stool was no longer hard little rocks but really soft and somewhat bloated. I took her off the antibiotic because I thought it was too strong and doing too much. So next I tried Proviable probiotic. Since Tutu is under 6 lbs I decided to try a half a capsule mixed into her food. Her stools improved soft but not bloated. I can cut back on pumpkin I was using for softening her hard rocks stools. I am convinced that this is really helping. She is more awake in the morning. Bowel movements daily. I think that although she might be on the verge of lymphoma she is stable now and I will wait on the Leukeran. I am mad that much of what recently happened was because of putting Tutu on too high of a dose of Budesonide, a steroid, when she had infections. Going on Leukeran would have allowed her to be off steroids but there is a limit as to how long a cat can be on Leukeran, an anti cancer medication. Cats are supposed to tolerate it well but there are other risks - it breaks DNA and can affect blood levels. So if this new adjustment for Tutu using a lower steroid and a probiotic can give her a little more time before using Leukeran then I am happy.