Cerenia For Pancreas Inflammation?

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Short(ish) version - my cats' labwork showed problems with his pancreas numbers. The vet wants to put him on Cerenia tablets. After googling, I see that the tablets are only recommended for dogs. Also, Cerenia's main use is for nausea, which my cat doesn't have. According to the vet, the Cerenia will reduce inflammation in the pancreas and treat the pain associated with it. I haven't been able to find anything on the web saying this though. Anyone used Cerenia for this purpose?

Long version - my diabetic cat was having some wildly fluctuating BG numbers for a couple of days. This is weird because he has been pretty well regulated the past 6 months. Suddenly he had a decreased appetite (not showing any signs of nausea though) and wobbly back legs. I immediately took him to the vet and they ordered urinalysis and bloodwork. They sent us home with a bag of sub-q fluids.
They called with the results today while I was at work so it was brief and rather vague and I didn't really have time to ask questions. She said his liver and kidneys looked great as did most of his bloodwork except sodium levels low, blood sugar high @420 (he hadn't had his insulin that morning) and she said his pancreas numbers were off, so she wants to treat with cerenia. I don't know if his numbers being off means he actually has pancreatitis? If so, from what I have read, pain and an anti-inflammatory are usually given. Cerenia would only be for nausea. We are also to continue with the sub-q fluids. Just wondering about the Cerenia. It makes me a bit nervous and this is a new vet for us. By the way, Keith's appetite seems back to normal today!
Keith
20190527_151939.jpg

Any experience, suggestions, ideas appreciated!:)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I have nothing from experience to offer. I do know wobbly back legs (as I am sure you already know) are related to diabetic issues that are not being controlled. But, in your case, it could be some other complication. I have no idea, as you have already indicated, what Cerenia is going to do for your cat related to anything going on with her right now. My totally lay person opinion...

I just wanted to acknowledge your post, to 'bump' it up on the list and hopefully more members will see it and offer their input.

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As far as I know Cerenia only helps with nausea. It is used off label for cats but it is widely used so I don't think that is an issue. The anti-inflammatory given would be a steroid which is a problem with diabetes. I would think something for pain would be in order.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your vet is correct. Cerenia has a unique anti-inflammatory action that targets the pancreas and is helpful with pancreatitis. It is also an anti-emetic which prevents vomiting. I am not sure if it is actually anti-nausea. But since it shuts down the signal to vomit, it might be thought that it would also have anti-nausea properties. It’s usually paired with an appetite stimulant because Cerenia can suppress appetite in some cats. Likely the vet gave him a Cerenia shot while he was at the office and that can account for the restoration of his appetite. The anti-inflammatory drug, prednislone, that would be used for pancreatitis is not recommended for diabetic cats. A great many medicines are only approved for dogs because it’s easier to study dogs. Cerenia is allowed for off-label use with cats as long as your vet is scaling the dose correctly for cat size and physiology.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, use the Cerenia. Off label use for cats. It is fine, used very commonly all the time. Reduces inflammation and will help the Pancreas heal. I realize I am basically repeating what daftcat75 daftcat75 said but, also you cannot use steroids like Presnisolone in diabetic cats, so thank goodness for Cerenia's existence lol. I had a diabetic cat, I weaned her off the insulin with help of proper diet and time, and she could never take Steroids even after she went into remission.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for reassuring me.

Likely the vet gave him a Cerenia shot while he was at the office and that can account for the restoration of his appetite. .
Nope. No shot. I think he was slightly constipated so I gave him some miralax and the vet sent us home with sub-q fluids. He had a big poop that night and I think that's what gave him his appetite back.
I'm starting to wonder if he is going into remission of the diabetes and the high numbers are being caused by his wonky pancreas? We had to skip his insulin last night because his pre-shot numbers were very low. He had eaten a lot yesterday too. Im going to drop down his next insulin dose and monitor him. I would much rather it run a little high than drop too low!