Cemetery Stray

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When we left her, she was crying at the door for us.
A lot of new mamas like to have the security of people around. Maybe not messing with them all the time, but just being in their presence seems to help make them feel more secure. So, you might want to see if you can spend more time near her. And, make sure she is going back to the kittens frequently.

I am sure you know to make sure none of them, including mama, can get too close to that heater - just feel compelled to mention it (sorry).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

StrayMama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How are things going?
I’m honestly not sure at the moment.

One died within the first 12 hours. We tried to save it, but it didn’t work. It wouldn’t eat and was cold. Mama abandoned it.

Since then, I’ve been weighing the kittens every morning. Twice, they’ve had small 2-4g gains. The rest of the time gains have been 8g or more. My husband weighed them yesterday and today. The weights he told me for yesterday we’re good. But today’s were all over the place - tiny gains or huge losses. I weigh the same time everyday (+/- 30 minutes). Today, he didn’t weigh at the same time that I usually do. And he didn’t seem sure of the scale function - but yesterday’s numbers were good.

Mama moved the kittens this morning to a small tunnel/box. It’s actually the one she gave birth in. She’s just laying outside of the box now. I don’t know how the kittens will get to her unless they crawl over the side.

She also left one behind. Earlier in the day yesterday, I saw on video that she was very, very rough with that one. Flipping with it. Wrapping her front paws around it while raking it with her back claws. But she was fine with it the remainder of the day. That was the first time I’ve seen her like that with any of them. I don’t know if she’s trying to get rid of it or what.

I’m afraid I’ll come home to dead or near dead kittens. 😩

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So sorry about the baby that didn't make it. But, from what I know, it is not terribly uncommon. It is also not uncommon for mama to leave the kittens for a bit of a 'break' Odds are if they begin to cry, she will go back to feed them. If she doesn't you may have to make plans to intervene. Someone should be around nearly 24/7 to keep an eye on things.

And, if you can, be the one to weigh them next time, just so you can double check where they are actually at.

I will have to defer to other members with much more experience than I have to see what they think of her roughness with the one kitten and if that is something any of them have seen before. I hope you hear from some of them very soon!! If not, keep posting to get everyone's attention!!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FeebysOwner FeebysOwner I've never heard of that before. That is prey behavior. But StrayMama StrayMama as traumatic as this is, know that many mammals and other animals will abandon babies they know will not survive. The instinct is to survival and to doing all they can to ensure that the strong ones survive. With multiple births, it often comes down to what we find very difficult to handle, but it is absolutely not about cruelty. It is about the survival of the gene pool and the species. Humans do/have done likewise.
I am so sorry for your loss. *Fly free, whole, healthy, and forever Loved, tiny angel kitten. Rest now in Perfect Love. It was not your destiny to be here. You are in a far, far better place.*
IMG_2657.JPG

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I know this is upsetting and I don't have much to add as I have never been in this situation exactly where there was questionable maternal behavior toward kittens. This is part of nature though as was pointed out. You can post in the Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care forum for specific advice about this if you think it would help.

Malina1996

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I remembered a very recent event that was similar to the mama being rough with one of the kittens (Mother cat too rough? | TheCatSite ). I just asked how things were going with the mama and the kitten - if they respond, maybe that will help shed some light on the matter for you?
I replied in my own thread but just a couple things we tried. We tried to adjust temp to make mom happy but keep kittens warm enough. We are also feeding her wet kitten food every 2-3 hours. I know it may not be possible depending on schedules, but my husband is taking the “night shift” and is doing night feedings for mom and giving the kittens new/fresh heat sources. We thought If we put the food down she’d come out and eat but sometimes I have to bring the food in the playpen to her. I do wonder if because we weren’t doing that if she got frustrated or too hungry.

We were ready and prepared to remove the kitten from the mother and bottle feed her if necessary but in our case so far it hasn’t been needed.

Thank you for taking them in and I hope they all grow up to be big and healthy. ❤

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

StrayMama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Didn’t mean to post yet.

The kittens that she was rough with were the kittens that tend to wander. Watching the couple other times, it would be while she was trying to clean them and they were crawling too far away. She’s a pretty good mama. 🙂