Cell phones!

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine is a Samsung Galaxy (also called Mesmerize) that I got FREE in November. I have U.S. Cellular, which I love (never had a dropped call in 4 years and they are always so nice and helpful), so Belief plan (new phone in about a year, no contract, etc.), free incoming calls, unlimited texting, more data and minutes for calls (outgoing) than I can use.

I love the phone, though it took some getting used to. I had a Motorola razor (red!) for the 4 years before that and I loved it, too. It was so small, and fit in a pocket. It was just cute.

This new phone is much bigger, but I got a red case for it and it is so much easier for texting which I'm doing more and more. And I like that I can read all my e-mail on it, as well as tcs.

Robin

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by bastetservant

This new phone is much bigger, but I got a red case for it and it is so much easier for texting which I'm doing more and more. And I like that I can read all my e-mail on it, as well as tcs.

Robin
The Droid is bigger than what I'm used to, too. And I was used to a clamshell phone, so this was a big change for me. I'd love to be able to find a red case for the Droid, but the store seems to be pretty limited in their designs. I'll have to get online to see what I can find.

You know, I always said that I didn't see the need to text. But it's so much fun! DH and I text now all the time during his breaks when he's at work. It's just fun to hear from him.

One morning right before Christmas, I had taken him to breakfast. He was messing around under the table and I asked him what he was doing. Here he was texting me to thank me for breakfast!
Another time, we were with my sister and my BIL, taking a break from cleaning my aunt's apt. My sister and I were complaining about our jobs. I got a text (from him and he was right across the room from me on the couch) that said, "Quit complaining". And he texted my sister with the same comment. He's a hoot.

For somebody who really didn't care if he got a Droid or not, he's certainly having fun with it.

And I love being able to snuggle in bed under the blankets at night and be able to surf the web and post to TCS without having to sit in a cold room....we keep our house fairly cool during the winter.

I'm finding that the battery isn't too bad either.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Winchester

The Droid is bigger than what I'm used to, too. And I was used to a clamshell phone, so this was a big change for me. I'd love to be able to find a red case for the Droid, but the store seems to be pretty limited in their designs. I'll have to get online to see what I can find.
The Droids actually aren't as big as the Galaxy S phones. The only way you could get one of those in your pocket is if you bought back the 80s hammer pants or something.

While my phone a little smaller than the Droids and a tight fit in my pocket, I could manage to fit a Droid.

Check out the seidio extended life batteries for the more popular phones. The prices aren't too bad and the slim ones will still fit without changing the battery cover out.

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can and do put my Sansung Galaxy/Mesmerize in my back pocket. Just not my front pocket like I could the razor.

I got my red case at a kiosk at a local mall. $15 which is lot for 2 pieces of molded plastic. But it helps protect the phone if dropped and the color and finish is exactly what I wanted.

I am typing this post on my phone. I'm not as fast as on a keyboard on a computer, but it works. I make a lot more mistakes, too.

Where I work, tcs and all personal email accounts are blocked among other things. So the smartphone keeps me connected.

Robin

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Winchester

You know, I always said that I didn't see the need to text. But it's so much fun! DH and I text now all the time during his breaks when he's at work. It's just fun to hear from him.

One morning right before Christmas, I had taken him to breakfast. He was messing around under the table and I asked him what he was doing. Here he was texting me to thank me for breakfast!
Another time, we were with my sister and my BIL, taking a break from cleaning my aunt's apt. My sister and I were complaining about our jobs. I got a text (from him and he was right across the room from me on the couch) that said, "Quit complaining". And he texted my sister with the same comment. He's a hoot.

For somebody who really didn't care if he got a Droid or not, he's certainly having fun with it.

And I love being able to snuggle in bed under the blankets at night and be able to surf the web and post to TCS without having to sit in a cold room....we keep our house fairly cool during the winter.

I'm finding that the battery isn't too bad either.
So glad Gary and I arent the only ones to do this! We text each other fairly often when we are around others. Usually something goofy or something we wont say outloud around others. but lately its been a lot of joking and goofing off
. We were at his parents house and his dad and grandma were going on and on about the bible and rather touchy subjects to me and I got a text from him that he typed out my favorite Christmas song and sent it to me to make me smile

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

Blackberry Curve & I hate it
I'm with Verizon & I can't wait until I find a phone I like so I can get a new one
I'm irritated with Verizon right now - my TL at work sent me an email with a link from "droid-life" about this:
Just over an hour ago, some depressing news hit the interwebs concerning Verizonâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s new upgrade policy that will go into affect on January 16th and weâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve now received even deeper details. This isnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t going to make anyone any happier, but as always, we want you to know as much as possible so that you can make the best decision come upgrade time on your current contract.

5 things to know:

1. All customers who activate / upgrade on a qualifying plan prior to January 16th, 2011 are enrolled in NE2 (New Every 2) and eligible to use the NE2 discount for up to six months from the date they become eligible.

2. Any customer who uses an NE2 credit or Annual Upgrade after January 16, 2011 will no longer be eligible for either program. On March 6, 2011, VZW systems will be updated to reflect this.

3. All customers who exercise the NE2 or Annual Upgrade option on or after January 16th will receive a letter notifying them that it was their last NE2 or Annual Upgrade.

4. Business customers continue to receive either the two-year corporate matrix tiered device pricing or two-year retail device pricing per contract.

5. Customers will now be eligible for promotional pricing after 20 months on a 2-year contract and 10 months on a 1-year contract.

We are also hearing that the $100 credit that was included in the current NE2 deal will no longer be provided. It looks like promotional pricing is all you will get when eligible for an upgrade. We should also point out that more and more phones are offered for free these days, but still.
I bet that HTC phone I want is going to be pricey when it hits the stores (officially comes out at the convention tomorrow) and now I'll have an even harder time convincing the hubby to get it for me
. While I love my BlackBerry Tour (yay trackball!), it's been freezing excessively while using BBM, and it takes FOREVER to reboot if you have to remove the battery to unfreeze it
This is my 2nd one, the other one had a glitch and was sent back.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^Is there a way to do a reset? Though there's less fragmenting with the file systems used in smartphones it can eventually happen and with SSD/cards the more they're wrote to, erased, and wrote to again the quicker the life on them shortens - and with it you can get some file corruption.

Originally Posted by bastetservant

I can and do put my Sansung Galaxy/Mesmerize in my back pocket. Just not my front pocket like I could the razor.
I have problems fitting my wallet in my back pocket on some of my jeans, and on a few of those it falls out when I'm using the bathroom. (I always do a quick floor check in public restrooms, and frequent pocket checks the rest of the time).
BUT I like to wear tight low rise boot cut jeans.

I make quite a few posts from my phone, too. So if anyone sees typos in my posts or words left out entirely. I'm sorry, it's the result of just missing it on a small screen.

I really want a belt clip (since I always have to wear a belt) that loops through the belt, is top open, and has a velcro fastener as I would definitely hear that coming open. I haven't noticed anything like that, so far, for phones though they exist for cameras. Anyone know of any?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

^Is there a way to do a reset? Though there's less fragmenting with the file systems used in smartphones it can eventually happen and with SSD/cards the more they're wrote to, erased, and wrote to again the quicker the life on them shortens - and with it you can get some file corruption.
My friend's husband is going to try and fix it for me, they both have BlackBerry Curves. Some kind of reset and "cleanse" of the phone.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I really want a belt clip (since I always have to wear a belt) that loops through the belt, is top open, and has a velcro fastener as I would definitely hear that coming open. I haven't noticed anything like that, so far, for phones though they exist for cameras. Anyone know of any?
My husband bought one at a mall kiosk for less than $10. He loves it! He has iPhone 4

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tara & Rob

My friend's husband is going to try and fix it for me, they both have BlackBerry Curves. Some kind of reset and "cleanse" of the phone.
I hope that fixes it for you.

rone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have an iphone 4. Our phone service has always been AT&T. We've been with them for over 10 years.

I don't know what plan we have (honestly) since we've had Cingular since our first cell phone. A couple of months ago I was in an AT&T store checking out the new plans hoping to cut our phone bills down a bit. The rep pulled our account up, has a puzzle look on his face, calls another rep over then he was whispering and pointing at the monitor, which I assumed is our account. Turned out that because our account was so old, he's never seen one until that day. The rep explained that because of the old account, we still get Cingular rate which he helped compared with AT&T side-by-side, was way cheaper

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can find a variety of cases and peripherals online much cheaper than the AT&T or Apple store.

rone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dusty's Mom- Cingular was bought by AT&T so our rate was grandfathered in
. Cingular was definitely cheaper than AT&T. I told hubby that now I know, I'd never switched to another carrier!

cmedeiros17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My husband and I have LG EnvTouch (it is an OK phone....had problems with it constantly shutting down.....luckily that was within the warranty so they replaced it on literally the last day of my warranty!!!) phones through Verizon. I'm waiting for verizon to hopefully get the Iphone. I want one so bad!

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a UTStarcom ShuttleVMUTX2, Virgin Mobile prepaid (18 cents a minute). I don't use it much, and only for talk and occasionally texting, so it suits me fine.

I had a look at a co-workers iPhone yesterday. If I could afford it, I might be tempted