CEDAR for flea control?

hurtingheart

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It looks like my indoor only girls have some fleas. They don't like being brushed, and I don't want poisons on or in them, so most flea treatments are out. Even the natural treatments have harmful oils. It's maddening. So has anyone had success with cedar oil? I came across a product called Cedarside and I'm really leaning towards giving it a try. Any thoughts?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cedar products contain things that can be harmful. It will depend on more specific information. It’s best to check it out through your vet before using any new product. I do understand a hesitation to use chemicals. Have you tried a flea comb? They help. Dip the flea comb in a glas of soapy water ( dawn dish liquid works) to get the fleas out of the comb. They will be removed and drown in the dish liquid. A bath is another option. I can’t bathe some of my cats but others allow it.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
TCS has an article with homemade flea treatments: Homemade Flea Remedies For Cats – TheCatSite Articles

For bad infestations, you will need to use a flea treatment product along with washing blankets, etc the cats sleep on in hot water, use a flea comb to remove adult fleas, vacuum frequently, etc. Flea eggs are pretty much impervious to most things and stick to everything so you'll need to keep up with cleaning, treatments, etc for at least a couple of weeks until the eggs hatch and the juveniles turn into adults.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've read some things that say cedar is bad for cats. BUT, I have some kennel spray (for fleas and bugs to be used in Kennels) that says it's safe for cats, dogs, and eco friendly. Based on the ingredients and the smell....This spray is CEDAR.
And if cedar hurt cats, I think I'd know it by now...LOL