CDC advises against using EzriCare eye drops as it investigates dozens of infections and one death in 12 states

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I saw an interview with a man who was blinded by the infection caused by these. I forget now what he did for a living but I remember that it was something that he could no longer do. There are required accommodations for disabilities but those can only go so far.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fortunately I don't need artificial tears, but thank you for posting this. You may have just saved the vision or the life of one (or many) of our friends on TCS.

Margret

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
When I had my eye exam in January my doctor suggested I start some artificial tears because the eye that had the cataract replacement always felt dry. She also had me start in some eye vitamins that will hopefully stave off the macular degeneration that runs in the family. Fortunately I started those, which have made a big different in how my eyes feel, and never got around to buying the artificial tears.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Fortunately, I have only needed artificial tears once and that was many years ago when I had Bell's Palsy. One of my eyes wouldn't close completely for a while, I was using artificial tears, an eye patch and taping an eye closed every night. This is scary stuff.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
More about what happened and the company's response. It's not much of one, okay, it's a bad response.

Eyedrops maker couldn't ensure factory was sterile, FDA says | AP News

Note the possible hard line response of the FDA below

The report has the agency’s preliminary findings and is likely to be followed by a formal report and a warning letter to the company. An FDA spokesman said the inspection indicates that the company’s products “may be in violation of FDA’s requirements.”