CBD products for pets may not contain any CBD

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Article here:

The current lack of guidelines and quality control for CBD products may mean harmful toxins in the product too.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is why I only buy products from dispensary or with lab testing to verify the potency.

Sonatine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Agreed. I always go with the USDA approved brands, since their products are required to be tested for purity and potency. It's not perfect, but better than nothing.

Therein lies the problem with CBD products. Not only is there not yet robust research supporting its use and efficacy, regulation hasn't caught up yet. Not to say that all CBD products are bad, of course; they may very well have some medical validity and I look forward to reading the clinical trials that prove (or disprove) their efficacy. I'm just not sure I wanna try them on my pets before then.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm just not sure I wanna try them on my pets before then.
I am right there with you. I do only because my boys arthritis was impacting him too much and he has very poor reactions to prescription options. CBD seemed like the best viable option and it has helped. I though am very much aware that it could end up shortening his lifespan but it was a quantity versus quality decision.

Sonatine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kieka Kieka : That's the decision each of us has to make for our pets, and I'm glad that it's helping him. In terms of conditions that CBD seems like it could help, arthritis is one I hear a lot about. If the tried and true options fail (and sometimes even those come with side effects and contraindications), then you have to try something else.