Cbd Oil For Cats?

lmdisalle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has anyone had any experience with giving cats CBD oil? My 2 year old Siamese is on prozac for anxiety now (its only when guests come over- so I HATE giving it to her every day). We are working on behavior adjustments in the meantime. I want her off the prozac ASAP :(

I would like a more natural option that would help.

Thank you!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
The problem right now with CBD oil is that at least the oil being sold in non marijuana legal states is unregulated and there is incidental evidence that labeling on the product isn’t always correct. I don’t know whether too much oil would have a negative effect on my cat but I don’t know whether I would risk it.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you live in the US in a state where marijuana is not legal you have to be careful. Look for full spectrum and grown in a state with agricultural regulations for hemp (Kentucky is the one I here most). You also want it processed in the US. A lot of them will gloss over those details and claim the hemp CBD oil is the same as marijuana CBD oil. One way to know? If you can buy it online, it's hemp.

I am not saying hemp CBD oil cannot be beneficial but unless you are careful it can be risky. Assuming you find a full spectrum, USA grown and processed product the results you get with hemp may not be the same as marijuana based. Some of the research I've read says that the absence of THC may impact some of the effectiveness and that it's the combination of THC and CBD that is most beneficial especially for anxiety based issues (sorry, I can't remember where I came across that I did a massive research spree at one point). Of course the hemp CBD oil funded research says it is just as effective. Since the research is so preliminary in humans and animals it is one of those try with caution items.

Buy safe. Buy full spectrum. Pay attention to where it is grown. Pay attention to where it is processed. I'd say to start with half doses, once a day and then increase to twice a day. Then increase to two doses a day. You would want to dose it regularly to see a true impact because it is one that has to build up.

I use it for my boys arthritis and it took a good month to see a behavior change in him. Physically he moved a little better in a week or two, much better at that month. But I noticed him more relaxed and less anxious about a month in. I am not giving it to him for anxiety and didn't really consider him anxious before but there is a definite calmness to him that wasn't there before. I am in California and marijuana is legal here so he gets a 20:1 CBD:THC oil called VetCBD that is manufactured to the same standards as human marijuana CBD oil. I have to go to a dispensary, show ID and purchase it in person.

Disclaimer: All the above is my personal opinion based on my own research and experience. I am not a medical professional in any sense and do not encourage or support doing anything that is illegal where you live. If you use CBD oil follow local laws and consult a vet when possible.

Last edited:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about Feliway? That’s something you can get legally in any state without worrying about its preparation.

Another problem with pet store CBD vs dispensary CBD is that many pet store CBD formulations use coconut oil or MCT (basically a refined version of coconut oil.). These are fats that run right through a cat. So while you may ease its anxiety, you’ll give it a good case of the runs.

Because there are questions about purity, regulation, and formulation, I would consider pet store CBD (hemp CBD) a last resort. Maybe try Feliway spray or diffuser or the various calming chewables made by respected and established pet supply brands.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What does she do with guests that she needs to be on Prozac? Does she present a threat to your guests? Or herself? If that’s not it, then can she be given a room or an enclosure that can be her safe space that guests are instructed not to disturb? Unless she presents a threat to herself or your guests, I have a hard time accepting a cat being medicated to not be a cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lmdisalle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What does she do with guests that she needs to be on Prozac? Does she present a threat to your guests? Or herself? If that’s not it, then can she be given a room or an enclosure that can be her safe space that guests are instructed not to disturb? Unless she presents a threat to herself or your guests, I have a hard time accepting a cat being medicated to not be a cat.
She will swat at and charge at my guests. I really don't like giving her the prozac :( I am all for natural remedies. We live in a smaller townhouse and I could lock her in my bedroom, but then I need to put a litter box in there temporarily.

I have never had a cat like this before. We are worried that if we dont correct her behavior before we have children, she will act this way towards them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lmdisalle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What about Feliway? That’s something you can get legally in any state without worrying about its preparation.

Another problem with pet store CBD vs dispensary CBD is that many pet store CBD formulations use coconut oil or MCT (basically a refined version of coconut oil.). These are fats that run right through a cat. So while you may ease its anxiety, you’ll give it a good case of the runs.

Because there are questions about purity, regulation, and formulation, I would consider pet store CBD (hemp CBD) a last resort. Maybe try Feliway spray or diffuser or the various calming chewables made by respected and established pet supply brands.
We use a feliway diffuser in our bedroom. (she used to get anxious and pee on our bed) It has worked WONDERS for that. It does nothing for her social anxiety :(
We even tried multiple diffusers around the home.
Calming chewables do nothing for her :(

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As @Mamanyt1953 has commented, it seems the calming products are really great or a complete dud.
What if you tried her chamomile recipe, and also music?
try 1-3 teaspoonfuls of chilled chamomile tea, up to 3 times a day. Administer via syringe, placing the tip between the cheek and gum, and injecting SLOWLY, allowing time to swallow. Use the commercial tea bags from the coffee/tea aisle of your local grocery store to insure that you are getting German chamomile, which is safe for cats. English, which often grows in gardens, is not.
I like the chamomile because it is gently calming without being actually sedating. No wobbly, drunk kitties staggering around.

Regarding music, try low volume classical harp music, George Handel compositions, or the app Relax My Cat.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She will swat at and charge at my guests. I really don't like giving her the prozac :( I am all for natural remedies. We live in a smaller townhouse and I could lock her in my bedroom, but then I need to put a litter box in there temporarily.

I have never had a cat like this before. We are worried that if we dont correct her behavior before we have children, she will act this way towards them.
I had a friend who had an energetic and aggressive cat even without company. She got him a large enclosure like for rabbits or chinchillas that had space enough for a litter box, some water on a different level and a couple of levels to perch. The door was left open when there wasn’t guests or when he got calm enough to be let out.

It let him acclimate to other people being in his home while giving him a safe space so he didn’t get quite so territorial.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As the caretaker of a sensitive Siamese - I can relate.

Do you play with her a fair bit? She might need extra play time before guests arrive? Get her nice and mellow.

Are there other cats roaming nearby, by the windows stressing her, or wandering close by?

Furballsmom Furballsmom and I have spoken about the CBD oil for Charlie. I'll be talking to the vet about that our next visit, as like you, I don't like the idea of medicated a cat if it's avoidable. I will post about it after the 22nd when he goes to see them.

The music she's suggested also helps Charlie on days he's having a hard time. You can try that too.

Edit to add: If you decide to take your baby off the prozac, do be sure to do that with the help of the vet.

Last edited:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Took me a bit but I found the thread again! YAY!

Little update: I spoke to the vet about CBD oil. In Canada they are not allowed to talk about dosage, as it's not approved yet for animals. She had to give me that disclaimer, with a note that she has several patients using it with great results for things like Kieka Kieka mentioned, Arthritis, cancer etc.

There is great research being done that is showing very promising results in animals on CBD oil.

She has not seen any research yet regarding inflammation in the GI tract, which is one of the things I was looking at for Charlie. Logic for me says that since arthritis is a type of inflammation - that CBD oil could have positive results for inflammation in the body overall.

For calming, I would be curious to see how it works as well - Charlie is having such a tough time with the new unexpected additions to his world.

The vet appeared very positive about using it. I was really glad about that.

Kieka Kieka from what I understood about your post we should look for one that is marijuana based, not hemp based, or did I misunderstand?

It's now legal in Canada, but, TBH I'm not 100% sure what too look for. I'm taking your post as a guide but if there is any other info you can provide for us new kids to it - would love the info.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I personally prefer Marijuana based to Hemp based. Disclaimer, this is of course based on my own personal research and that it is legal in my area. If you do marijuana based be very cautious to get no more than a 20:1 ratio and preferably an animal marketed version that has a safe carrier oil and no added components. If marijuana CBD oil isn't available in your area, hemp is worth trying and could help. I strongly encourage starting at half manufacturer dosage if not lower. I am by no means saying hemp can't have benefit but it's not my preference. If marijuana based CBD is not legal in your area, of course give hemp a try just make sure you know it's grown in the USA and full spectrum.

My reasoning:
  1. The medical research we hear about usually uses marijuana based. Humans use the marijuana based for the serious medical issues. Why would I use the hemp if I have access to the one that the medical research is centered around?
  2. Hemp CBD is classified as a supplement. Marijuana CBD is classified as a controlled substance and/or medication or recreational drug. While I am aware that is because of the THC it impacts production and quality standards. Marijuana based products must label exactly how much CBD and THC it contains which means more precise and consistent doseage. While hemp also does, I am not as comfortable with the accuracy given reports I've seen on the supplement industry in general and hemp CBD specifically.
  3. Hemp is a fiber and used in manufacturing. Extracting CBD is a side business that is benefiting the companies manufacturing CBD. Growing standards are not always aimed at quality of oil but on volume. Marijuana is a carefully cultivated crop that is geared toward quality product to keep customers. Plus it is a new industry and those in it realize making mistakes now could send it back into illegal status. Different mindsets in growing basically will impact quality of product.
  4. While at our basic understanding CBD is CBD there isn't a lot of research. The chemical difference between the other components of the two plants could impact effectivness in ways we don't understand. I'd rather stick with the one humans have said get good results for humans who have serious medical issues. One study I read theorized that the THC and CBD interplay was part of the reason it could help anxiety and mood. So using the one without THC might not have psychological benefit. I know the experiences I've read from others seems to support that. Marijuana based being more beneficial all around while hemp based seems to have positive results with physical but not psychological.
  5. Marijuana based appears to be more effective. Hemp CBD experiences seem to be very mixed while marijuana ones seem to be fairly positive. While that may be reflective of the variable quality of hemp it could also reflect a reduced effectiveness of hemp.
As to what to look for, since products of marijuana based vary by region (as they can't cross state or country lines due to varying legal status) I would go into a local dispensary and talk to them. Be open about looking for a pet safe version with a pet safe carrier oil. Talk to three different dispensary if possible to see where their recommendations overlap. I got lucky because there is a California one made by a veterinarian who quit his practice to develop a pet safe product using olive oil. I'd look for a 20:1 CBD:THC (as the strongest option if you have a 25:1 or lower that might be good too). I'd look for olive or salmon oil as the carrier but coconut or hemp might work depending on your cats system. I'd look for one with quality and potency testing. I'd start at a fifth recommended dosage and slowly increase every two weeks until you see the results you want.

Last edited:

ChaoticEva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm a little late to the party, but would still like to give my experience with CBD oil.

I started using CBD oil for Banjo, my 3 legged cat. He was having some behavioral issues caused by anxiety and he was also having some pain issues, so thought I'd give it a try.

It worked very well for his anxiety, though I have not been super consistent with it, so I can't tell you much about how well it helps for pain. It really helped to make him calm and relax, as well as less interested in running (and terrorizing) after my other cats.

I am also using it on my 17 year old, stage 4 kidney failure cat. He goes through these very long and intense meowing sessions where he seems like he is in pain. I tried the CBD oil for the first time today and wow. He is so much more calm and doesn't seem uncomfortable. Now, I don't expect to be giving this to him everyday, as I'm not sure how safe it is on his kidneys, but I do believe I'll be implementing this product more and more.

The CBD oil I am using is Full Spectrum Activated Hemp Extract from an american company (made in Colorado). Dosage is : 1 drop per body weight (.5mg of CBD per drop) 300mg per bottle (I think I am writing the dosage correctly). I also want to add that this company gives you the testing/potency report on their website.

I did however talk to my vet about this. She did warn me that there wasn't a huge amount of research on CBD and animals, but to give it a try. Together we monitor the effects closely and so far, she's quite pleased with what it has to offer.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For what it’s worth, CBD being a fat is processed by the liver. Should have little impact on the kidneys. But I’m no expert on pharmacology or cat physiology.