Cbd Oil For Cats

LionMama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there! Wondering if anyone has used any CBD products for anxiety or discomfort issues with their cats? We have a very good natural pet care producer in the Seattle area that offers it and I'm tempted to give it a try. I posted a couple of days ago about our loud and boisterous new Maine Coon boy and his (very) early morning demolition derbies. We are trying to help him acclimate to our schedule at least a little! If you have heard a MC meow, trill and chirp at top volume you can imagine what it's like at 4am.
He was raised in a cattery since he was kept to breed before his entropion issues. My thinking is it was an all night cat party and he just isn't used to human family hours lol.
Thoughts?

Attachments

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I would be very cautious and do a lot of research before attempting this.

I do recall reading an article by a vet about a pet that got into the owner's stash. The pet became ill and was taken to the vet, but when the vet inquired if the pet had ingested anything the owner remained mum. What followed was a series of tests and treatments that did not alleviate the problem. When the owner finally fessed up, the vet was able to treat the pet accordingly. The vet wrote the article specifically to say, "Hey, we're not the cops. We don't care about your private stash. But we do care about treating your sick animal, and we can't do that if we don't have all the information."

So. For what it's worth, it was an article I read several years ago, but the message stuck. If the herbal MJ is not good for cats, I'd be suspicious of CBO.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LionMama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I asked the vet and she said it's pretty common nowadays but the research is still early for all therapeutic uses. In Washington state all of this stuff is legal and sold in regular storefronts (the pet cbd is sold in our nicer pet stores) so at least we know dosing is accurate.
I can imagine in years past it would have been a different story!
I'll keep researching

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IIf the herbal MJ is not good for cats, I'd be suspicious of CBO.
Uhh no, that is not even a proper comparison. You should research the difference between THC and CBD. There is no "high" in CBD oil which is why it is used more for its medicinal purposes.... That is why CBD is used in pets and children even.

meto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there! Wondering if anyone has used any CBD products for anxiety or discomfort issues with their cats? We have a very good natural pet care producer in the Seattle area that offers it and I'm tempted to give it a try. I posted a couple of days ago about our loud and boisterous new Maine Coon boy and his (very) early morning demolition derbies. We are trying to help him acclimate to our schedule at least a little! If you have heard a MC meow, trill and chirp at top volume you can imagine what it's like at 4am.
He was raised in a cattery since he was kept to breed before his entropion issues. My thinking is it was an all night cat party and he just isn't used to human family hours lol.
Thoughts?
Personally I've tried CBD oil on myself and it did absolutely nothing, and I've never heard of it working for anyone beyond placebo. Not to say it can't have a different effect on a different organism, but the same sort of new age quackery seems to back up use on pets and use on humans. I'd say look for a different solution, because 1. risk of a negative effect 2. very slim chances of a positive effect 3. its an avoidable expense

meto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thoughts?
As for an alternative solution, acclimating him to your schedule might be possible just through daytime exercise (lots of play to get him tired).

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Because it doesn't work for you doesn't mean it doesn't work wonders for others. Have you seen the videos of the man with Parkinsons? Kids and pets with seizures? For the record, I don't smoke weed and never did more then try it once or twice in my life, it also did nothing for me. I have friends who use it to control their dogs seizures, and a friend with cerebral palsy who uses it to control, otherwise uncontrol-able bodily movements. Herbs have been used for medicinal purposes for centuries, what makes hemp/cannabis/marajuana new age "quackery"?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LionMama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know, it's such an individual body chemistry thing when it comes to therapies... tough to know until you try it.
The differences between THC, CBD and the many blends and ratios of each used for varied purposes is a big subject.
For this purpose it would be only to disrupt his clock a bit and try to encourage a little more relaxation during those wee hours.
He gets a lot of physical play time and activity but I'm sure we could engage him even more in the evening.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
We tried some pet CBD oil on our cats on the Fourth of July. We purposely gave them a low dose and watched their behavior. Hard to say after one time, but after about 30 min or so their dilated eyes from the fireworks shrank a little, and their bodies seemed less tense. The seemed to relax and have less anxiety.

Of course then some jerks lit some off in front of the house and bedlam! So obviously not a magic bullet but we did notice more calm, and no side effects. It’s worth a shot. A lot of Pet CBD comes from hemp and not necessarily marijuana, and there is usually no THC (which is what gives people the “high”) so the cats are not going to be high.

For the record, CBD in humans is also a great inflammation reducer. I used some after I got a spider bite on my pinky and the swelling wouldn’t go down for two days. Took a CBD pill and 45 min later my pinky was drastically reduced. I hear for cats, it would be good for IBD and other I flammation diseases.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Uhh no, that is not even a proper comparison. You should research the difference between THC and CBD. There is no "high" in CBD oil which is why it is used more for its medicinal purposes.... That is why CBD is used in pets and children even.
Actually, I do understand that there is no "high" with CBD for humans. I just don't know how it affects pets. I honestly was not aware that there even was a product made for pets. I'm cautious because there have been herbal remedies for humans that have been prepared for pets that were not necessarily good for them (garlic supplements come to mind).

The differences between THC, CBD and the many blends and ratios of each used for varied purposes is a big subject.
This is indeed why I say do a lot of research.
I have an Aunt that is taking RSO, which is a type of CBO specially processed to treat cancer. It seems to be working for her, but she is taking a very high dose, and it does affect her cognition and emotions.

A lot of Pet CBD comes from hemp and not necessarily marijuana, and there is usually no THC (which is what gives people the “high”) so the cats are not going to be high.
A lot comes from hemp, does not mean all comes from hemp. I'd be sure to double check the source on the product.
My caution also stems from the question I have about how a cat's system processes the CBD; ie, its effects on pancreas, kidney, and liver. We do know that the feline system is much more delicate than humans and even dogs. For instance, their tolerance for NSAIDS is much lower... Have there been any studies on that aspect? I honestly don't know.

Last edited:

meto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Because it doesn't work for you doesn't mean it doesn't work wonders for others. Have you seen the videos of the man with Parkinsons? Kids and pets with seizures? For the record, I don't smoke weed and never did more then try it once or twice in my life, it also did nothing for me. I have friends who use it to control their dogs seizures, and a friend with cerebral palsy who uses it to control, otherwise uncontrol-able bodily movements. Herbs have been used for medicinal purposes for centuries, what makes hemp/cannabis/marajuana new age "quackery"?
(not entirely related to the main topic just addressing this personal response, sorry)

Yeah I was biased since i've never seen CBD alone work for anyone or their pets and it's super expensive here and I've had new age friends push it really hard. Also I've been injured by "natural" (natural is poorly defined but they were called natural and so ill use that term) medicines and so has my family, and I've heard that some people have injured their pets using them. This is all anecdotal so suggesting that it's enough evidence to draw conclusions is my bad. But to be fair I wasn't talking about smoking weed at all. I've seen it change peoples lives and I totally support medical and recreational marijuana. New age quackery was a loosely thrown around (ill explained) comment of mine to refer to the mindset or belief set that supports the potentially harmful regression away from modern medicine in favor of its precursors including herbs, homeopathy, spiritual healing and the likes, sometimes not only for themselves but also for their dependents such as family and pets. Hope that cleared things up, again sorry for going off topic, just wanted to calmly handle some misunderstandings and admit my mistakes.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
(not entirely related to the main topic just addressing this personal response, sorry)

Yeah I was biased since i've never seen CBD alone work for anyone or their pets and it's super expensive here and I've had new age friends push it really hard. Also I've been injured by "natural" (natural is poorly defined but they were called natural and so ill use that term) medicines and so has my family, and I've heard that some people have injured their pets using them. This is all anecdotal so suggesting that it's enough evidence to draw conclusions is my bad. But to be fair I wasn't talking about smoking weed at all. I've seen it change peoples lives and I totally support medical and recreational marijuana. New age quackery was a loosely thrown around (ill explained) comment of mine to refer to the mindset or belief set that supports the potentially harmful regression away from modern medicine in favor of its precursors including herbs, homeopathy, spiritual healing and the likes, sometimes not only for themselves but also for their dependents such as family and pets. Hope that cleared things up, again sorry for going off topic, just wanted to calmly handle some misunderstandings and admit my mistakes.
No problem, and I apologize if I misunderstood you or sounded at all snarky in my comment. Sometimes I reread what I wrote and worry it came off wrong. I know you weren't talking about smoking it either I just have had people accuse me of being some big pothead for defending the use of medicinal marijuana which is why I brought it up :)

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
My caution also stems from the question I have about how a cat's system processes the CBD; ie, its effects on pancreas, kidney, and liver.
I agree that there should be studies on this, unfortunately most of what people know is either anecdotal or extrapolated from humans. As far as humans consuming a oil-based tincture like in the OP’s original question, in humans that is not processed in the liver at all - it’s processed in the small intestine. I don’t know if it is the same for cats, or if there is any implications for the health of the intestines. The dubious legal nature of these products makes it hard to look into.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm all for trying CBD, I just haven't yet. You can use a botanical called Bach's Rescue Remedy Pet, and our vet has even referred us to try Zylkene on Amazon.
Correction. -I- have tried CBD, but not my cats.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know I am late to the party on this one, but I've been looking into CBD Oil for Link. He had x-rays recently and he is developing arthritis in his previously broken leg. I am not surprised by the diagnosis and certainly expected it but not for a few years. Although he has held it oddly since the break and is more hesitant to jump then he was before (he's always been a bad jumper and climber).

I have an appointment later this month for his annual check up and I am going to bring it up with the vet. I am mostly interested in the anti-inflammatory properties and slowing the progression of the arthritis. Lessening his symptoms would be great too but it's early in the game for him, he's only 4.5 years old and the injury is almost 2 years old, so slowing it to keep him mobile longer would be the best short term goal. I'll try to remember to report back what my vet says.

I am in California so there are dispensary's and it would be easy enough for me to get. I checked and there is one selling a VET CBD oil branded drop about 15 minutes from my work. I would be cautious about an online provider that ships anywhere just because the oil is still controlled, as far as I am aware. I saw a treat version as an option but I'd be worried about if it is real CBD if they can sell and ship it. The one I've looked into is only sold through dispensary's. The research I've done seems positive but human studies are still in their infancy so cat related studies are even more general. They tend to be quoting that it works for mice and rats with the basic biological mechanics that it affects being similar in all mammals. I haven't found any negative results for actual CBD oil

ExoticCatnip149

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thoughts?

I just started giving my cats some cbd oil made specifically for pets by a company called Dr. Hemp Dog. I will say that I have seen improvements with the beginning dosages. I am now on day 3. Tried it because of some agression/fear issues within the fur tribe. Would like to see how they'd do on a higher dosage when trying to reintroduce them. The best thing about this is, it's non toxic. Just produces a very relaxed state. Not the only thing I'm using by the way, but I figure it couldn't hurt. The company is also very helpful and very consumer friendly. They will answer all questions and will even follow up with you. It's worth the try!

Best of luck with yours...