Cbd For Seizures In Special Needs Cats?

TheCatMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i’ve been doing research on CBD for cats, but my cat Ted E. Bear is not a normal cat persay. He’s both blind and deaf, with epilepsy and neurological damage from being put under anesthesia for neutering. He’s about 9-10, i’m not sure as i got him at the shelter i volunteer at (he was not abandoned, or dumped, he was surrendered for very valid reasons to a no kill shelter). He’s currently on Phenobarbital for his epilepsy, taking 16.2mg a day total, 8.1 in the morning, 8.1 at night. he also doesnt behave like a regular cat, he seems to hallucinate (he swivels his head around the room, appearing to be looking at things, but obviously cannot see the room), he sleeps A LOT but he loves to snuggle up with me and snooze and he purrs and will reach out a paw when the pets stop. He doesnt walk correctly, he tends to go in circles and he seems to use his tail like how blind people use canes, and he bumps into things often. He does not use a litter box but we’ve accepted that and use pee pads, sometimes he goes on them. He’s also taking a fish oil liquid supplement to help his joints and such, and he could use to lose a couple pounds. My main issue with the Phenobarbital is that it is known to have hypnotic tendencies, and the shelter had him on a higher dose but noticed he was even more out of it and drowsy. I worry he’s going to develop health problems from his sedentary lifestyle, and i’ve heard CBD has many benefits for physical health as well, and unlike phenobarbital, doesnt require regular blood tests to make sure it’s not causing liver(or kidney, i forget) damage. I honestly just want to give him the best quality of life possible, and any input on this subject, or any tips on how to switch from Phenobarbital to CBD would be greatly appreciated. I’ll attach some photos of my boy as well

Attachments

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I do not have experience with Phenobarbital in cats but have a lot of experience with the med in dogs. I realize it's not exactly the same but thought I could share info. and lend my support. When our dog was diagnosed and put on Phenobarb he acted like a zombie. I immediately told the vet and requested that he be put on the lowest possible dose. It made a big difference! BTW, it can affect the liver not the kidneys. Another option to treat epilepsy is Potassium Bromide but it's my understanding it takes longer to build up in the animal's system. Unfortunately I do not have any experience with CBD for epilepsy. You are Ted E. Bear's angel guardian. :angel: He is precious and lucky to have you in his life. I wish him the very best and hope you'll keep us posted. :alright:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I do not have any experience with using phenobarbital, nor do I have any experience using CBD oil, but I've heard of certain forms of CBD working wonders in children who have seizures. IMHO, it's worth a try. There are people here who've actually used Cannapet, which may actually be the real deal vs just CBD. I know others who HAVE used the real deal for their cats with cancer and said it made a huge difference in their appetites, that sort of thing, but that's not what you are dealing with here.

BTW, you ARE a Guardian Angel. Ted E. Bear is extremely lucky to have you :catrub::worship:.