CBD for cancer?

BluOnyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I mentioned in a few threads I have a cat with bladder cancer. He is on medication meant to ease the pain and help with his appetite. It may or may not shrink the tumor. Where it is, it can't be removed and other treatment options such as chemo are too risky, they could spread the cancer around. He is bleeding more and more now and I had to buy him a stud diaper to help contain it. It is all over the house. That should be here in a week.

I was looking into supplementing his medication with CBD but I have no experience with it. It seems like a lot of holistic vets recommend it for cancer.

Has anyone here used this for their cat who has/had cancer and saw benefits from it? I found some specifically for cats (and dogs) that is designed to target more severe illnesses such as cancer.

I just want him to feel better.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What other medications is he taking? CBD, on its own, is very safe. However, it is detoxified in the liver by the same enzymes that detoxify a number of other drugs. That means it can potentially interact with his other prescriptions, possibly to dangerous levels. I would discuss CBD use with your vet. However, most vets still aren't discussing CBD because it is still a legal grey area. If it's derived from hemp with less than 0.3% THC, it's federally legal under the 2014 and 2018 Farm Bills. But the only FDA-approved CBD is an epilepsy drug for humans. Nothing has been approved for animals. Additionally, I have heard the amount of CBD required for cancer is quite a bit. Possibly more than your cat would be willing to take.

You might check your cat's medications against this page:
Cannabis Interactions - Drugs.com Interactions Checker

Cannabis here, is referring to the drug with THC. However, THC and CBD are chemically similar, detoxified by the same enzymes, and thus likely to have similar drug interactions. If you and/or your vet feel you're probably in the clear to give CBD a try, start slow. Give about half the recommended dose and give it at least two weeks before slowly increasing the dose. It has a cumulative effect meaning you have to give it for awhile and regularly before it reaches maximum effectiveness. Ask your vet if there are any signs of an adverse reaction that you should be watching for.

For something safer, I have seen a number of positive reviews for ES Clear from NHV. I would try this with the spirit of, "Might help. Probably won't hurt."
ES Clear™ for Cats

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

BluOnyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What other medications is he taking? CBD, on its own, is very safe. However, it is detoxified in the liver by the same enzymes that detoxify a number of other drugs. That means it can potentially interact with his other prescriptions, possibly to dangerous levels. I would discuss CBD use with your vet. However, most vets still aren't discussing CBD because it is still a legal grey area. If it's derived from hemp with less than 0.3% THC, it's federally legal under the 2014 and 2018 Farm Bills. But the only FDA-approved CBD is an epilepsy drug for humans. Nothing has been approved for animals. Additionally, I have heard the amount of CBD required for cancer is quite a bit. Possibly more than your cat would be willing to take.

You might check your cat's medications against this page:
Cannabis Interactions - Drugs.com Interactions Checker

Cannabis here, is referring to the drug with THC. However, THC and CBD are chemically similar, detoxified by the same enzymes, and thus likely to have similar drug interactions. If you and/or your vet feel you're probably in the clear to give CBD a try, start slow. Give about half the recommended dose and give it at least two weeks before slowly increasing the dose. It has a cumulative effect meaning you have to give it for awhile and regularly before it reaches maximum effectiveness. Ask your vet if there are any signs of an adverse reaction that you should be watching for.

For something safer, I have seen a number of positive reviews for ES Clear from NHV. I would try this with the spirit of, "Might help. Probably won't hurt."
ES Clear™ for Cats
Yeah, I will be asking the vet first. I was looking at Canna-pet's capsules. They seem to have very good reviews. They are not cheap though, $100 a bottle.

Soon as I can get in touch with his vet, I will ask about it. He is starting to pee blood clots now :(

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry he's going through this.

I would try the NHV ES Clear. A lot of positive reviews! No interactions to worry about. It looks like they have great support and a money-back guarantee. The trouble with CBD, besides its potential for interactions, is that it just hasn't proven itself out yet. There's too many questions about dosage and efficacy.

BluOnyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry he's going through this.

I would try the NHV ES Clear. A lot of positive reviews! No interactions to worry about. It looks like they have great support and a money-back guarantee. The trouble with CBD, besides its potential for interactions, is that it just hasn't proven itself out yet. There's too many questions about dosage and efficacy.
Do you know anyone who has used this for cat and saw good results?

BluOnyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I read the reviews and just went ahead and ordered it for him.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you know anyone who has used this for cat and saw good results?
I ran out of time with Krista to try it. 😿🌈

But the reviews are promising. The support looks good if they are commenting on reviews. And there is a money back guarantee. I think you'll have an easier time getting support for ES Clear than CBD.

BluOnyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I ran out of time with Krista to try it. 😿🌈

But the reviews are promising. The support looks good if they are commenting on reviews. And there is a money back guarantee. I think you'll have an easier time getting support for ES Clear than CBD.
I hope it shows up quickly. He seems to be feeling better today. I gave him a bath last night. He had blood on him so I know that made him feel better, he hates being dirty. I feel like I am not going to get any help from a vet at this point because surgery and treatment is already off the table. I don't want to just sit back and wait for him to get worse.

I am sorry for your loss.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats have leukemia and I have had them on DMG (to build up their immunity) and LifeGold (for cancers). CBD could be added to control pain, but ask your vet first. I contacted both manufacturers of the two meds I use and they said they could be combined with each other. I get them on Amazon and Walmart, PetMeds and I'm sure many other sites. You could review them and see what they say....

BluOnyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats have leukemia and I have had them on DMG (to build up their immunity) and LifeGold (for cancers). CBD could be added to control pain, but ask your vet first. I contacted both manufacturers of the two meds I use and they said they could be combined with each other. I get them on Amazon and Walmart, PetMeds and I'm sure many other sites. You could review them and see what they say....
I am going to see if this ES Clear helps him first. If not, I will look into other options. Thanks for the info.