Caught Cat Eating Marmite

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I caught my cat licking up Marmite that had spilled in the kitchen. I know it's very salty and that can't be particularly good for him, but does anybody know if there's anything else in Marmite that would be injurious to a cat?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I had to look Marmite up!! Here is an article on what is in Marmite.

Why Should We Eat Marmite as a Low-Calorie Addition to Our Diets?

I could not find any information on the internet about it being harmful to cats.

But, I am hoping very soon other members on this site will offer more knowledgeable information than I have been able to do for you.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Marmite is a yeast extract spread flvored with various spices. The exact spices seems to be a trade secret, at least according to Google. If it contains garlic onion powders, that would be a concern. I would keep a very close eye on the cat for the next few days and be prepared to take the cat to the vet if necessary.

Some cats like the taste of yeast. I think you can feed a little nutritional yeast as a treat.

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The label of marmite does say that it contains dehydrated onions. My guess is that it probably isn't enough to hurt your cat, but definitely make sure that s/he can't get into it again.

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
TLDR: don't give your cat Marmite, but a tiny bit probably won't do any real harm this once.

Marmite (which I enjoy on rare occasions to the utter horror of my wife) is basically salt and brewers yeast with a few other elements. It probably won't hurt your cat in small quantities as a one off. Garlic and onions are bad for cats, but, as I recall, it takes large doses over time to do serious damage.

if Marmite killed cats, we'd probably know about it, because thousands of cats in the UK probably end up having a tiny bit of it each year due to its popularity there.

Von59

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I caught my cat licking up Marmite that had spilled in the kitchen. I know it's very salty and that can't be particularly good for him, but does anybody know if there's anything else in Marmite that would be injurious to a cat?
😻Don’t worry your cat will be fine as my cat lived to be 21 years old after often sharing my marmite on toast for breakfast 😻 and it does contain Vitamin B12 is crucial to the health of your cat's immune system, nervous system, and digestive tract. It's essential for healthy cognitive function. In addition, B12assists in your cat's digestion and it didn’t harm my cat but she only had a nibble once a week

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Saw that this thread picked up again. After two years, I think the cat's doing fine. Don't rightly remember which one ate it this long after the incident, anyway.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thank Von59 Von59 for responding with personal experience, even if the thread is older. I'm sure there are many people out there who have this and will now know! That is what we need on this site and what makes it so valuable, responders like Von59! Keep it up!

Von59

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I thank Von59 Von59 for responding with personal experience, even if the thread is older. I'm sure there are many people out there who have this and will now know! That is what we need on this site and what makes it so valuable, responders like Von59! Keep it up!
Awwwww thank you 😊 take care 😊