Caught a previously spayed cat

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There are a handful of stray cats that I feed on my porch for the past few weeks. I know for sure at least a few of them are homeless. I can see some sleeping in the bushes from my window. I heard them during the summer screeching and probably mating so I decided to do TNR. I bought traps.

I caught one last night and brought it to the spay/neuter clinic this morning. When I picked up the cat, it turns out she was already spayed before and had a microchip!! I feel like I wasted so much effort and money ($63!!) on a cat that was already fixed. The microchip wasn’t registered to anybody, they said. But they still gave the vaccines, deworm, and flea meds like I asked. And the cat did have anesthesia since they only discovered the prior spay after shaving her belly.

Is there something I can do to prevent this in the future? I know I could buy a chip scanner but they’re expensive and I think you have to get really close to scan the cat? I’ll be scared of getting scratched by opening the trap, etc.
Have you appealed to the clinic to give you a partial credit since the cat was already spayed/neutered ? Maybe if you explained your situation, they'd apply a credit toward your next kitty. I think it's a reasonable request since all they did was sedate and shave.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The viable options always start by getting the information out to people, especially when they are young. Most young people, especially children, are even aware of the feral cats- how many- what lead to this problem- what they go through- what we can do to help-
But what information could be given to them, what can someone do to help, if not TNR?
as I mentioned we would all have to get involved before we would see real progress.
Real progress has already been made. The more we can get involved, the better, of course. But again, how can someone get involved without TNR?
Why wouldn't it be possible for city cats to enter the Barn Program?
First, how many barn cats do you think farmers want? They usually already have more than they even want. First we'd need to start a pretty aggressive barn cat TNR program before they'd even have room for them.

Second, feral cats are feral. It's hard enough to get them to a local TNR program and immediately release them. Transporting them many hours away (and they'd need to be kept somewhere before transport), then confining them for a month so they don't immediately leave to find home, may not be possible.
When I lived in Boston most grocery and convent stores had cats roaming through them.
Most shop cats have to be at least semi-tame. I doubt most shop keepers would take in true ferals.
Maybe if you explained your situation, they'd apply a credit toward your next kitty.
Hey, there's a good idea. I bet they'd give at least a partial credit.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
People can do a lot to help besides engaging in TNR..

These are some options::

I
. Instill in children to never ever take their cat off somewhere to dump- tell them about the consequences as well as some agencies that can help. Yes, they should be getting that from their parents, but we all know that is not always the case.

2. Talk about laws that need to be changed, such as stricter and more enforceable fines. You never know, you could be talking to the next politician, the next judge, or the next activist. By all means talk about TNR- the good and the bad- and give them success stories.

I am getting involved without TNR- for all the cats that I have trapped and neutered, I have always found them homes. It might take awhile and it might take a lot of work, but it is worth it.

Barn Cat Program

Since I grew up in the country let me happily answer that- a large farm can take up to 100 cats easily- a small farm takes in around 20. The Barn Cat Program (and it is an existing program) is already part of TNR. And as I spoke of earlier, businesses are already showing an interest in the barn cat program.

Taming

Yes, feral cats are indeed wild, but I have seen some of the worst outlaws be tamed. I agree, you will have find a place, places, or people, that can keep them awhile until they are transported. That is where my vet comes in for me, either that, or my own house. I never said any of this was easy, if it was easy we would all being doing it.

Once again, feral cats can be tamed to the point of not going ballistic when they see a human. Its called scent association and it works quite well.

Wild animals can be tamed. I have tamed many feral cats and dogs (who are far more dangerous) and parrots. Ever dealt with a Macaw who was seriously under-socialized or had been severely abused and hated all things human?

TNR

You seem to be under the impression that I am a hater of all things TNR- including the people who use that method. That couldn't be further from the truth. I am just pointing out that TNR has some really serious drawbacks, plus I don't want others to think that it is the 'be all and end all' when it comes to options.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps instead of saying you dislike TNR, you might try saying that you prefer to find homes instead of releasing whenever possible. Saying you're against TNR gives the impression that you're against neutering ferals.
I am getting involved without TNR- for all the cats that I have trapped and neutered, I have always found them homes.
That's great, but let me just point out that in the time taming and re-homing takes, the unspayed cats left outside are having more and more kittens.
The Barn Cat Program (and it is an existing program)
In some places. Not here. The local vets are doing their best, but it's entirely charity on their part---most farmers can't/won't spend $120 spaying a cat who might get eaten by a coyote tomorrow.
Since I grew up in the country let me happily answer that- a large farm can take up to 100 cats
100 cats will eat about 25 pounds of cheap dry food a day, not to mention basic medical care (vaccinations, de-worming) and maintenance, plus the extra cleaning, etc. If you know anyone who can and will afford that, who is willing to take more cats, you're better at this than I am!

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I am against TNR and have stated my reasons. The people who use it are great because it shows a person who is compassionate and wants to help cats- the method itself, however, is way too flawed for my taste. As I have said the nail in the coffin when it comes to that method, was me meeting Jeff.

Yes, it does take time and that is why you need to get the cat trapped and neutered as fast as possible. What am I leaving out?- the release part.

It took me a long time to find this vet. Before I found him I would call shelters for different people who were working with feral cats. Yes, it was an all day on the phone experience.

Its not a question of being better- I have done my homework on the topic- plus living in the country allows for me to talk to more farmers. I assure you that farmers take their barn cats very seriously and are willing to spend the money on them.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
plus living in the country allows for me to talk to more farmers. I assure you that farmers take their barn cats very seriously and are willing to spend the money on them.
I live in the country too, and have met very very few farmers who treat cats with anything but contempt. They are more often treated as vermin, never vaccinated or de-wormed, barely fed, and exterminated when their numbers get too high. Perhaps this is due to being in different parts of the country.
the method itself, however, is way too flawed for my taste.
Other than finding homes for the cats after they're spayed/neutered (which may not always be an option), what method is less flawed, in your opinion? What should we do with all the kittens born in our backyards while we're trying to find homes for the cats we've already trapped?
As I have said the nail in the coffin when it comes to that method, was me meeting Jeff.
I'm not aware of her full story. But would it have been better if she had not been TNRed, and was popping out dozens of kittens and getting vaccinatable diseases?

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in the country too, and have met very very few farmers who treat cats with anything but contempt. They are more often treated as vermin, never vaccinated or de-wormed, barely fed, and exterminated when their numbers get too high. Perhaps this is due to being in different parts of the country.

Other than finding homes for the cats after they're spayed/neutered (which may not always be an option), what method is less flawed, in your opinion? What should we do with all the kittens born in our backyards while we're trying to find homes for the cats we've already trapped?

I'm not aware of her full story. But would it have been better if she had not been TNRed, and was popping out dozens of kittens and getting vaccinatable diseases?

I honestly don't know why any farmer would treat any cats with contempt, for without cats rodents would quickly take over, spreading diseases, and contaminating animal feed. Keep in mind that for mice and rats, your barn and farm are quite literally an all you can eat buffet. Poison is an option, albeit a risky one because it can harm or even kill animals for which it was not intended. Most of the farmers I know are an enlighten bunch with degrees in business and agricultural science. I don't disbute the point that you raised in that there may be farmers, just like other people, who treat cats as throwaways. But to do so is pretty darn reckless on their part.

Method

What method is less flawed in my opinion? Enforcing harsher penalties for those who dump cats. The owners of the parking lot where I go every night to feed four feral cats is going to be installing cameras up front, just for the purpose of catching the people who drop off their cats. Embarrassing somebody while hitting them hard in the wallet can go a long way. However, I do realize that they can just dump them somewhere else, which is why, just like with TNR, it needs to be a serious and ongoing community effort. And as I mentioned before, education is always going to be my favorite way.

Jeff

Jeff was an old gal when I met her and she had just about had it with hustling for food while dodging traffic and aggressive dogs. She was thin, raggedy, and would sit a good twenty feet away from me, always with a distant look in her eyes. Yeah, she couldn't have kittens, she also couldn't get warm in the winter, cool in the summer, or get herself to a vet either. Her mere existence depended on people putting food out for their outside cat. Although petrified of people she eventually warmed up to me after five months of hard work on my part. She began to come alive with the attention I showered on her and for the first time in her life she knew what love was.

Please think about that the next time you do TNR. For the cat that you trapped, neutered, and released, just might have been Jeff.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please think about that the next time you do TNR. For the cat that you trapped, neutered, and released, just might have been Jeff.
For every cat NOT trapped, neutered, and released is a cat who dies from having her 10th litter (and all the kittens suffered horribly) or getting panleuk. It's far better to TNR than to do nothing. TNR is the only thing that kept your Jeff alive long enough to find you. Rehoming may be the gold standard, but is not always possible.

(I'll also point out that things don't exactly work out for elderly barn cats either. Rehoming to a barn cat home isn't any better than living in a well-run city colony.)

Last edited:

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
For every cat NOT trapped, neutered, and released is a cat who dies from having her 10th litter (and all the kittens suffered horribly) or getting panleuk. It's far better to TNR than to do nothing. TNR is the only thing that kept your Jeff alive long enough to find you. Rehoming may be the gold standard, but is not always possible.

(I'll also point out that things don't exactly work out for elderly barn cats either. Rehoming to a barn cat home isn't any better than living in a well-run city colony.)

I realize that cats die from having kittens and I have not ruled out TNR but as I mentioned above it does have consequences- tragic ones. Just because it is one of the only methods out there to control the feral cat population does not make it a good one. We can do better.

Yes, it is better than not doing anything and I applaud those who use it to help kitties. But you also must realize that the method is flawed and can result in cats being dumped back into dismal situations, while some cats, like Jeff, get lost in the shuffle.

And how did TNR, help Jeff?

Yes, she might have died when giving birth, just like she might have died by being run over by a car, mauled by a dog, roughed up by a coyote, or poisoned by a human- all of which she faced because she was left to fend on her own. Not to mention she suffered from the cold, heat, and loneliness. Yeah, what a great life she was left with.

Things don't always work our for eldely cats- period- as with anything else that grows old.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And how did TNR, help Jeff?
She lived long enough for you to find her. She almost certainly wouldn't have if she had not been spayed and vaccinated.
We can do better.
Can we? Sometimes it's not possible.

And your main alternative, to place cats on farms, is no better than leaving them at their regular colony. Farm cats get killed by cars, dogs, coyotes, poison, cold, heat, and humans just as often as city cats do.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
She lived long enough for you to find her. She almost certainly wouldn't have if she had not been spayed and vaccinated.

Can we? Sometimes it's not possible.

And your main alternative, to place cats on farms, is no better than leaving them at their regular colony. Farm cats get killed by cars, dogs, coyotes, poison, cold, heat, and humans just as often as

Sometimes it is more than just existing,. Jeff thrived because she met somebody who loved her, not because of TNR. Cats like Jeff, come and go without anyone knowing that they were even here. To many people, even some who do TNR, she is just another cat.

Doesn't mean we can't try to find another way. We were the ones who were dead set on domesticating cats, and after 4000 plus years they depend on us.

Its not perfect but it is better than just releasing them because at least in a barn they will have shelter from the elements and as I have said most farmers do take care of their barn cats. -Do accidents still happen?- yes. I had a friend whose favorite cat was run over by a tractor, but the chances of accidents happening are still slim compared to a cat who is left out to fend for itself.

Last edited: