Cattery Name Ideas

Belle16

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I am in the process of trying to come up with my cattery name but I am at a roadblock. I will be breeding Bengals. I originally wanted something to do with my heritage which is Irish and the state I live in which is AZ. What I had come up with was to long- it can only be up to 12 characters long. I am looking for ideas :)

cookiedough03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there, this might not be helpful if you want something irish haha, but I'm gonna jump in and say, it might be easier naming your cats according to their character or quirks.

On her first day our cat was quite stressed and refused to eat wet food/ fish treats but went nuts over fresh coconut meat so we called her Coco.

might be nice to observe how your bengals behave and then name them after some protagonists from irish folklore stories with similar behavior/characteristics.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
C cookiedough03 she's asking about names for her cattery, not individual cats. The cattery name is included in every cat's name when you register them. If you buy a cat from another cattery the cat's name would be Cattery1 (individual name) of Cattery2. If the cat is one you bred and are keeping the name would start with your cattery but not have of another cattery.

cookiedough03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
C cookiedough03 she's asking about names for her cattery, not individual cats. The cattery name is included in every cat's name when you register them. If you buy a cat from another cattery the cat's name would be Cattery1 (individual name) of Cattery2. If the cat is one you bred and are keeping the name would start with your cattery but not have of another cattery.
Thank you for clarifying this!:thumbsup::salam: didn't even know this was a thing:stars: apologies for the very unhelpful reply:sweat:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not sure I can incorporate an Irish name with Arizona but I have used Irish names for both our dog and many of our cats. Pusheen is an Irish form of endearment for a cat. :clover: Maybe this is a name you would want to put on your list. Good luck! Please let us know the cattery name when you make a decision.

ETA: Perhaps you could use the state flower of AZ as in Pusheen of Saguaro.

Last edited:

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I would check carefully before using Pusheen. It may be trademarked. Even if it's not, it could be confusing because the name is so well known as a toy cat.

B Belle16 what part of Arizona are you in? Is there a local feature that you could incorporate in the name? Grand Canyon might not be the best, but maybe something with Picacho Peak or Montezuma's Castle (just using Picacho or Montezuma).

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It can be difficult to come up with a cattery name. I don't have specific suggestions for you, but I do have some general tips.
  • The shorter the better!!! There is a limit on the total length of an individual cat's registered name, including both the prefix (breeder's cattery) and suffix (owner's cattery). Short cattery names leave more room for a variety of individual cat names in the future.
  • It's ideal if you can find a cattery name that is available in both CFA and TICA, so that you don't end up with two different cattery names if you decide to register in both associations in the future (I know people who ended up with two different cattery names for that reason, and it's confusing)
  • Check the requirements for both CFA and TICA, as they are slightly different (for example, CFA allows spaces, TICA doesn't).
Here are links to where you can check existing cattery names in CFA and TICA.

CFA: Cattery Name Index – The Cat Fanciers' Association, Inc
TICA: Catteries

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Belle16

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would check carefully before using Pusheen. It may be trademarked. Even if it's not, it could be confusing because the name is so well known as a toy cat.

B Belle16 what part of Arizona are you in? Is there a local feature that you could incorporate in the name? Grand Canyon might not be the best, but maybe something with Picacho Peak or Montezuma's Castle (just using Picacho or Montezuma).
I am in the East Valley about 20 minutes SE of Mesa. I was thinking of maybe using the Phoenix bird but I’m not sure how I should incorporate it with my heritage.

Belle16

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It can be difficult to come up with a cattery name. I don't have specific suggestions for you, but I do have some general tips.
  • The shorter the better!!! There is a limit on the total length of an individual cat's registered name, including both the prefix (breeder's cattery) and suffix (owner's cattery). Short cattery names leave more room for a variety of individual cat names in the future.
  • It's ideal if you can find a cattery name that is available in both CFA and TICA, so that you don't end up with two different cattery names if you decide to register in both associations in the future (I know people who ended up with two different cattery names for that reason, and it's confusing)
  • Check the requirements for both CFA and TICA, as they are slightly different (for example, CFA allows spaces, TICA doesn't).
Here are links to where you can check existing cattery names in CFA and TICA.

CFA: Cattery Name Index – The Cat Fanciers' Association, Inc
TICA: Catteries
yeah I’ve checked out both sites and I’ve looked at what people have chosen. This definitely isn’t easy! This name is going to represent me and my cats and I want it to mean something ya know? 😊

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why are short names better?

If the breeder and owner catteries both have 12 character cattery names (for example), then with the 35 character limit on total registered name length, there are only 6 characters remaining for the individual name of the cat... because you also need to accommodate 3 spaces and the word "of" in the cat's name.

LONGCATTERY1 XXXXXX OF LONGCATTERY2 = 35 characters

While on the other hand, if breeder and owner catteries have 6 character cattery names (for example), you would have 18 characters remaining for the cat's name, so you can be much more creative and fanciful!

SHORT1 XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX OF SHORT2 = 35 characters

When you buy cats from other breeders, they often already have registered names... if you have a long cattery name, you may not be able to add your name as a suffix. A short cattery name will fit on the end of most cats' names.

Last edited:

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How about Pangur Ban (or maybe just Pangur) based on that Irish poem by a monk about his cat?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about Pangur Ban (or maybe just Pangur) based on that Irish poem by a monk about his cat?
It's a nice idea (and I love the song from Secret of Kells) but PANGUR and PANGUR BAN are both taken.

Belle16

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have my cattery name! My daughter who is an amazing artist is drawing the logo for me! I am so excited!! Just gotta register it!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So happy for you! After it is safely registered, I hope you come back and tell us what it is :)

The Goodbye Bird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, I have noticed that the petals of a shamrock kind of look like cat's heads. I don't have any ideas for names that don't sound corny but a four-leafed catver seems like it would be a good logo.