Cattery “feral” behavior

asegress

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I thought about posting this in the feral section because this is the only way to describe this cat. I ended up getting a 3-4 year old munchkin cat from a breeder. I have limited info about her except she would not have kittens. I suspect she has had limited human interaction in her life.

I have only had her at this point 24 hours but she refuses to come out of the cat bed, eat, drink or use the litterbox. Poor thing spits, hisses and is drooling like a feral in a trap. I get it takes time and right now she is overwhelmed.

I already have an appointment scheduled with the vet this coming week to have her checked over. The cat seems healthy but is underweight probably due to stress.

Has anyone dealt with a cat from a cattery before? This is a first for me. I am trying to figure out if she will end up coming out of her shell or if I am going to have a feral that is going to run and hide the rest of her life.

Right now I am just working on bribing her with treats and trying to touch her with a cat toy (she does bite).

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and congrats on being a new cat "parent". It's not uncommon for a cat to hide when first brought to their new home, so as it's only been 24 hours, don't despair too much yet.

Did you meet her before adopting her? If so, what was she like then?

Here's some TCS articles that might have some tips for you.

How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home – Cat Articles
How To Get A Cat To Come Out Of Hiding? | TheCatSite
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat | TheCatSite
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats | TheCatSite

Hopefully she was never abused, but there might be some tips in this article:
How To Help An Abused Cat Recover | TheCatSite

Good luck. I things improve with her soon. :hearthrob:

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, it's nice to meet you. My aunt bred Persians and for a breed known for gentleness, they were wild! They were treated very well, but my aunt was sick and they weren't properly socialized. (My uncle cared for them, and he had a full-time job on his own.) I suppose they did fine in their new homes, because she got very few cats back and none for that reason as far as I know.

IMHO, she will warm up to you in time. The only experience I have with a cat from a cattery is when my aunt gifted me a kitten when I was a child. However, I have a lot of experience with strays. I thought the two I have now would never even allow someone near them (the adult male had to be sedated in the cage at his first vet visit because he was ready to attack, bless his heart). Now they are the sweetest creatures. They don't take to strangers, but my husband and I have no problems.

I think you are doing great. And goodness knows, cats will take a bribe...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

asegress

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello and congrats on being a new cat "parent". It's not uncommon for a cat to hide when first brought to their new home, so as it's only been 24 hours, don't despair too much yet.

Did you meet her before adopting her? If so, what was she like then?

Here's some TCS articles that might have some tips for you.

How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home – Cat Articles
How To Get A Cat To Come Out Of Hiding? | TheCatSite
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat | TheCatSite
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats | TheCatSite

Hopefully she was never abused, but there might be some tips in this article:
How To Help An Abused Cat Recover | TheCatSite

Good luck. I things improve with her soon. :hearthrob:
Thanks, I will read the articles. I did not met her first. I have taken in quite a few cats over the years and she is the most stressed out one I have seen except for feral ones that had been caught in a live trap. We are going to take it slow, I want her to trust me before I let her run around the house. My biggest fear is she would get outside and she would be doomed with her short little legs.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the cat bed in a secluded place? An enclosed room would be best for her, with very limited exposure to you until she is a little less fearful. The most important thing at this point is that she eats something. Set out wet food and also try some pure chicken meat baby food or tuna water but then leave the room so she will hopefully eat and use the litterbox. If you enter the room you can talk to her softly but don’t make eye contact or go near her. Once she is eating and drinking you can start spending more time with her.

asegress

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, it's nice to meet you. My aunt bred Persians and for a breed known for gentleness, they were wild! They were treated very well, but my aunt was sick and they weren't properly socialized. (My uncle cared for them, and he had a full-time job on his own.) I suppose they did fine in their new homes, because she got very few cats back and none for that reason as far as I know.

IMHO, she will warm up to you in time. The only experience I have with a cat from a cattery is when my aunt gifted me a kitten when I was a child. However, I have a lot of experience with strays. I thought the two I have now would never even allow someone near them (the adult male had to be sedated in the cage at his first vet visit because he was ready to attack, bless his heart). Now they are the sweetest creatures. They don't take to strangers, but my husband and I have no problems.

I think you are doing great. And goodness knows, cats will take a bribe...
I think this one was treated good but not socialized. Of course she might just be a more timid cat. She is not afraid of my other cats and will acknowledge them. I think it is the new people that is stressing her.

asegress

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is the cat bed in a secluded place? An enclosed room would be best for her, with very limited exposure to you until she is a little less fearful. The most important thing at this point is that she eats something. Set out wet food and also try some pure chicken meat baby food or tuna water but then leave the room so she will hopefully eat and use the litterbox. If you enter the room you can talk to her softly but don’t make eye contact or go near her. Once she is eating and drinking you can start spending more time with her.
She is in a cage in the middle of everything and last night that seemed like the best option. I did put wet food out for her. I am going to get her into a more enclosed kennel (the ones for large dogs) and get her into a quieter room. Pretty sure she is on sensory overload.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
She is in a cage in the middle of everything and last night that seemed like the best option. I did put wet food out for her. I am going to get her into a more enclosed kennel (the ones for large dogs) and get her into a quieter room. Pretty sure she is on sensory overload.
If it’s a kennel throw a blanket over at least half of it so she can feel like she is hiding.

asegress

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not sure if you will see this since it is about 9 months later but she turned out fine. It took weeks but she is a loving cat with loads of personality. She is bonded to me and sleeps with me every night, tolerates my other half because he feeds her soft food when she screams at him and hates our 6 year old daughter because she stares at her to make her mad 😂. I got her fixed not long after we got her. I was told she would come in heat but would not get pregnant. Poor cat was in that situation for years.

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww... look at that precious face. Such a cutie pie. So glad everything worked out. Thanks for the update. :hearthrob:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for the update! I often wonder how things turn out. We experienced cat people know it takes a LONG time for cats to get used to new situations, but it is hard for anyone in the beginning, and sometimes seems impossible to think a cat will EVER be friendly. But 99% of the time they turn into lovey little beings, I'm happy for you! PS tell your daughter it is not polite to stare, your cat will keep her distance if she continues. I know it's probably in fun, but why chance a cat that doesn't like you when a loving cat is oh so much more rewarding? You earn a cat's love, and when you have it, it is a treasure!

asegress

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for the update! I often wonder how things turn out. We experienced cat people know it takes a LONG time for cats to get used to new situations, but it is hard for anyone in the beginning, and sometimes seems impossible to think a cat will EVER be friendly. But 99% of the time they turn into lovey little beings, I'm happy for you! PS tell your daughter it is not polite to stare, your cat will keep her distance if she continues. I know it's probably in fun, but why chance a cat that doesn't like you when a loving cat is oh so much more rewarding? You earn a cat's love, and when you have it, it is a treasure!
It is not polite at all and when she gets upset that Lilliput does not like her I tell her it is because she stares at her and some days all it takes is a side glance to make her mad.