Cats

kem27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I was visiting my friend not that long ago and her cat was pregnant I walked past her cat and she started hissing at me and trying to attack, I locked myself in the bathroom and for 30 minutes the cat sat outside scratching the door until my friend came and guided her into bed, ever since then I've been scared of cats I even moved out of my mums house because she refused to get rid of our 2 cats; then the other day I was walking to the shop and a black and white cat with one eye started following me (I'd never seen this cat before) after a few minutes of it following me it stopped a couple of minutes later I turned round and noticed I now had 2 cats following me (the one from before and another fully black cat) and at this point I was getting more and more scared I had one at each side off me, they walked me all the way to the shop doors and waited outside for 10 minutes I had to get my gran to pick me up because of how scared I was and once she got there the cats started walking back towards me, I now keep having bad dreams about cats attacking me, I've tried everything on Google trying to work out why there following me or why my friends cat disliked me and I can't find anything so if anyone know any answers please help

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sure your friend's cat was hissing at you and trying to attack because she was afraid of you. Strangers can be scary things for them so she was trying to warn you away. Her behavior was saying, "don't come near me".

The two street cats were likely looking for food from you. They have probably gotten food in the past from other people and figured if they stuck by you that you would give them something. They may have also sensed that you were afraid of and was therefore not a threat to them.

Last edited:

my6katz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had been in that ind of situation before myself. If you act afraid they will feed off the negative energy that is coming off you. Let the cat come to you. It will let you know when it wants attention. Keep some treats on you, when the cat is nice to you give it a reward an it will build trust between the 2 of you. I am now the happy parent of 6 cats.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi K kem27 :wave3: Welcome to TCS!

I'm so sorry you had such a scary experience with your friend's cat :( As susanm9006 susanm9006 says, she was very likely scared of you. Pregnant cats can be especially protective and defensive of their kittens, and it can change their behaviour too - especially around strangers.

I know it's scary, but cats you see in the street are not going to attack you - it's very rare indeed for a cat to attack a human unprovoked...so rare, that I've never heard of it myself (and I've been around cats all my life, including taming a couple of feral cats). Any cat you see coming towards you is most likely just going in that direction, and will walk straight on by without even acknowledging you, or maybe just wants to be friendly :catrub: or thinks you might have some food :yummy: All you need to do is take some deep breaths and keep right on walking. Cats aren't even likely to chase after you (as some dogs might, whether in play or in defence of territory). You honestly don't have any reason to be worried, hun :hugs: