Cats Won't Eat Raw Food Anymore...

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
It's been about a year since they've been getting raw. There have been a few times where they've been picky and other times when they've eaten their food like there's no tomorrow. But lately, they just won't eat their raw meat anymore. I've thrown out so much of it already and I'm debating on whether or not I should buy another box. It spoils very easily since it's organic. What I couldn't food to the dog, I had to throw into the garbage. I don't understand this. Am I doing something wrong?

Dry food is obviously not an option. I cringe everytime I see it or give it to an animal. Canned food (the good kind) is also more expensive than the raw (technically speaking). Felix is prone to uninary issues so raw has always been best for him.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did the problem start with a new batch/order of food? I always worry that one ingredient, whether it's the hearts, gizzards, muscle, organs, bone or eggs won't be "fresh enough" for the cats and they'll refuse the whole batch. Or I worry that I won't rinse the cutting board or food storage containers thoroughly, and the food will have a slight scent of Dawn dishwashing liquid and put the cats off the food. You get my drift...

I know you have someone else make the food. You might check if she changed recipes or if any other customer's complained. Is there another source for you to purchase raw mixes?

You're not keeping the food thawed in the fridge too long, I assume, since you've been feeding raw successfully for a long time. Freezer burn?

Have you been able to rotate through several protein varieties, or have you been feeding the same mix for a long time? Sometimes cats just get bored with the same flavors consistently.

That's all I can think of.

Fortunately, you have a dog. :tongue: You may need to repackage what you have into "dog sized" containers and start over with a fresh batch of cat food. I think my dog would drink Dawn dishwashing liquid as long as there was some raw meat floating in it. :rolleyes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't been about to talk to the owner of the bistro because she's been absent for quite some time. The food is never in the fridge for more than 2 days. My puppy usually eats it if they don't. It also doesn't stay in the freezer any longer than 1.5 months since I go through more food now because of the dog. I gave Smokey a chicken leg and she ate off all the meat and chewed on the cartilage a bit before I took it away. Felix won't touch meat like that. Smokey will eat almost any protein I give her. Literally anything. I went to my local butcher today because they usually have whole rabbits but unfortunately there wasn't any today. I would have really loved at least one because I want to try different proteins. I've only been rotating between chicken and turkey. I honestly think the cats are just bored of the texture and taste of the food. I have chicken legs thawing as we speak. I'll go back to the store tomorrow and see if I can find some beef or lamb.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so happy! Got 1 box of organic lamb and 1 box of organic beef for the kitties and the pup! So I'm going to rotate between both for them. They also had duck and pork for a good price but I'll try that later. It's also a great brand. It's mostly muscle meat but still includes a little organ and bone.