Cats with weight problems

whimsyboll

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I need some help with my two cats, that have two different kinds of weight problems. Both cats are spayed/neutered, and have been for years. My boyfriend and I are also getting them more exercise and play at home.

I have a male cat, Petty, who is 18.2 lbs last vet visit. He seriously needs to lose weight, but he's more of a dog like and social cat. He is relentless when he's hungry or thinks his food is too low. We've tried a couple of times scheduled feedings, but he wouldn't eat the whole bowl (maybe a half cup of food). So when we put the bowl up, he was whining and sullen all day until his next bowl that night, which he threw up from eating too fast. If the bowls are left out all day he will eat from both bowls.

The female cat, Tesla, is currently 8.8 lbs last vet visit. She had been 9.8 lbs for most of four years, and suddenly had lost weight. She doesn't act any differently than normal and the vet hasn't found anything ill with her. She also won't go right to the food bowl when it's put down, which means she won't really get to eat until night time if we put the food bowls out at scheduled times. She's also not a whiny or noisy cat, so you can't really tell if it bothers her like it does Petty. She also has had a consistent tapeworm problem that I can't get ahead of. They're both strictly inside cats, and while Petty has all the flea dirt and live fleas, you never see any of that on her. When they turn into tapeworms you won't see them from Petty, but you can easily find them on her.

I need suggestions for the weight issues before I waste money on automated feeders for them both, and my schedule forces me out of the house for work by 7am at the latest. We're still not sure what my boyfriend's semester is going to look like yet, whether it will be at home or in person. Any help would be appreciated, thank you!!

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
Spooky is a fat cat too did you try wet food it will help a lot dry food is not good just a suggestion I could use some too i over feed her

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Just to start off with, tapeworms are not 'contagious' between cats. So, while Tesla may have them, it doesn't mean Petty will get them from her. Also, my cat has been battling fleas off and on for nearly a year and - knock on wood - has not had tapeworms. And, generally speaking, tapeworms are found in the feces of a cat, not so much "on" them. So, are you sure they are tapeworms, and not something else?

I know you have a lot of questions, but I think you need to let us know how Tesla is being/has been treated for the tapeworms. She can lose weight from having them as they rob her from nutrition. And, fleas are not only just a problem for outdoor cats (Feeby is indoor only), so how are you treating those? Knowing the answers to these questions might help members offer some helpful information. Any other information you can think to tell us about them could help as well!!

It might help to know their ages too. Could be beneficial in recommendations for Petty's overweight issue.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whimsyboll

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Just to start off with, tapeworms are not 'contagious' between cats. So, while Tesla may have them, it doesn't mean Petty will get them from her. Also, my cat has been battling fleas off and on for nearly a year and - knock on wood - has not had tapeworms. And, generally speaking, tapeworms are found in the feces of a cat, not so much "on" them. So, are you sure they are tapeworms, and not something else?

I know you have a lot of questions, but I think you need to let us know how Tesla is being/has been treated for the tapeworms. She can lose weight from having them as they rob her from nutrition. And, fleas are not only just a problem for outdoor cats (Feeby is indoor only), so how are you treating those? Knowing the answers to these questions might help members offer some helpful information. Any other information you can think to tell us about them could help as well!!

It might help to know their ages too. Could be beneficial in recommendations for Petty's overweight issue.
I honestly assumed they were contagious since they come from fleas. I am putting their flea/heartworm medication on pre-order so I can receive it every month on time which will hopefully help as well.

When Tesla went to the vet last, they had given her a dewormer and I believe they specifically said tapeworms. For whatever reason, they tend to be very visible from her anus- sorry TMI. Everything I have found seems to point to tapeworms- sometimes there's segments stuck in her fur there, and some times the worm is literally wiggling out of her.

I really like our vet, they've always gone above and beyond, but they have a REALLY difficult time with Tesla. She gets stickered with "caution" and "warning" labels the minute she goes in. So I'm not sure what all they are able to do with her when she visits, which is why she goes annually while Petty can go 2x a year.

I have never flea bombed the apartment, but the furniture spray I've tried before didn't seem to really help. :/ Both cats are 5 years old, and were born the same month so they're basically the exact same age. Honestly they were the same size/weight for a good while too. Then Petty just kind of took off. Honestly I think part of it was the move, neither cat took it well, but we've been here for 3 years now so that can't still be the problem.

(Tuxedo is Petty, tortie is Tesla)

Thank you for any insight!!

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Have you tried any calming products for her? There's everything from Only Natural Pet's spray called just Relax, et al, to gabapentin, to even CBD oil if it's legal-ish in your area.

Your boy needs specifically calorie-monitored frequent small meals throughout the day, and your little girl possibly needs to see a different vet who can help with a calming product that gets her to the point that they can give a thorough checkup.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Switching to wet food only can greatly help weight loss. Dry food is way too high in calories and fat content unfortunately, its just very carb heavy. So the wet food will help with the weight loss the most but you might need to add a bit of food topper on top for your kitty to eat it. You just have to adjust accordingly and probably switch slowly to all wet over time.You will probably have to feed him 3-4 times a day, if you can do 4 that would be ideal but might not be possible unless you are home at least for lunch to. So morning, lunch (if possible), after work, and before bed. My first cat was obese to and complained all the time if she was hungry, we just ended up feeding 4 times and just ignoring her. She for sure let us know a half hour or so before the next meal that she was to be fed soon lol.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
OK, when was Tesla last at the Vet? Just wondering when she received that de-wormer? Do you have your receipt to see if it WAS tapeworms? It makes perfect sense that that's what it is, especially since she's losing weight. Until you get rid of the fleas in your home, she may continue to have issues, so I would suggest working on de-fleaing the area, and treating her for the worms as often as recommended. You can always CALL your Vet on that, and maybe even drop off a fecal sample for testing, as applicable, without having to take her in.

Here is a thread about de-fleaing your home: The nuisance of fleas..

As far as Petty needing to lose weight, he needs to consume fewer calories, bottom line, just line us humans. And it is true that with wet food, preferable one that is full of meat and not fillers like wheat gluten, rice, vegies, etc. he will fill feel more full, since cat's are obligate carnivores and don't need that other stuff. In order to monitor his intake, they really need to be in scheduled feedings. I went through this with my pudgy boy, and I had FOUR cats at the time, all of them being free fed, so believe me, I understand the pain you are feeling right about now :alright: . But we did it. We transitioned then all to scheduled meals AND to wet food and now they don't know with kibble is!

Anyway, here are a couple more items for your reading pleasure:

Transitioning Free-fed Kibble Kitties To Timed Meals – TheCatSite Articles

Transitioning Your Cat From Kibble To A New Type Of Food – TheCatSite Articles

Oh, one more thing. I'm down to two cats now, but I still have to monitor my (formerly) pudgy guy to make sure he doesn't eat my skinny guy's food. To do that, I feed them in separate rooms. I feed the skinny guy in whatever room I'm in so i can keep an eye on his bowl in case he walks away and doesn't finish. (he usually comes back)

HPeters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Fleas and tapeworms are two very different types of parasites but both need to be dealt with with medication from a vet and a thourough cleaning of the house for fleas. I would still recommend individual feeders that unlock via a tag or microchip on a particular pet. this will keep each cat on their specific diets to get back to a healthy weight