Cats will not get along

Squeeks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
2 years ago, my husband and I moved in with my mother. I brought two cats with me- Chip (male) and Willow (female). My mom has 3 cats- Bonnie and Bugsy (female) and Clyde (male). We transitioned them slowly and Chip gets along with everyone. Willow on the other hand, is afraid of everyone. She hisses and runs from Bugsy and Bonnie whenever they come near her. She slinks through the house like she is watching for attackers. And then there is Clyde. He and Willow are enemies. They hiss and spit and growl and slap at each other whenever they are in the same room. Clyde sprays all over the house constantly. My poor Willow never seems to relax and is so unhappy. We have Feliway plug ins, three water sources in 3 separate rooms, including a fountain, two tall cat trees, 6 litter boxes in seperate rooms, tons of different comfy places they can sleep, and they each have their own food bowl scattered around our largest room. Oh and all of the cats are spayed and neutered. What can we do to make Willow relax and help her and Clyde get along?

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh wow, that’s pretty complicated! Sounds like you are doing many of the right things.

Have you tried playing with just those two in the same room? When we got our third cat “play therapy” helped some. Of course our chaser didn’t like to play much so it made that difficult. But playing with them together and then a treat after might help.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It looks like you did everything right. As a last resort, you might try medicating Clyde and Willow on a temporary basis. Many cats go on Prozac for issues like this, and after a few months can slowly be weaned off of it, as the new habits of "getting along" have been established.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
2 years ago, my husband and I moved in with my mother. I brought two cats with me- Chip (male) and Willow (female). My mom has 3 cats- Bonnie and Bugsy (female) and Clyde (male). We transitioned them slowly and Chip gets along with everyone. Willow on the other hand, is afraid of everyone. She hisses and runs from Bugsy and Bonnie whenever they come near her. She slinks through the house like she is watching for attackers. And then there is Clyde. He and Willow are enemies. They hiss and spit and growl and slap at each other whenever they are in the same room. Clyde sprays all over the house constantly. My poor Willow never seems to relax and is so unhappy. We have Feliway plug ins, three water sources in 3 separate rooms, including a fountain, two tall cat trees, 6 litter boxes in seperate rooms, tons of different comfy places they can sleep, and they each have their own food bowl scattered around our largest room. Oh and all of the cats are spayed and neutered. What can we do to make Willow relax and help her and Clyde get along?
Hello and welcome to TCS, S Squeeks and family! Other posters' suggestions are great. Our newest family member, neutered mature male Elvis, joined our family 3 years ago after having been the solo cat in a family with a dog which he got along well with. He did spend some time with another cat, whom he got along well with, some time ago. He joined our multi-cat family and there are now three -- two lady cats aged 16 and 15, and Elvis, age 12. The 15-year-old was born feral and is only bonded to me -- and she is very scared of Elvis, who chases her. Fortunately, our home is large enough for her to have her own large room with everything she could want or need in it; I don't like the fact that she chooses to stay in one room, but it is her choice and every time I bring her out into another room, she bolts back to her comfort zone.
Sometimes, as with human relationships, cats just don't ever like each other. Sometimes it will change as time goes along. All the best to your family!