Cats Weight Gain — How Soon?

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mika has been on prednisolone for almost two weeks now. I have been feeding wet and dry food to her, giving her more of whatever she wants to eat. We’re averaging around 180-200 calories daily. She also gets treats after she takes her medicine. For those of you who have had to put weight on a cat, how long did it take? I’m so confused by the fact Mika isn’t gaining any weight. You would think she would have put on SOMETHING. Is it possible she could just stay this weight (5.5 lbs) for the rest of her life?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Some cats have higher metabolisms than others, but I would like to know if her thyroid levels have been checked for hyperthyroidism. That would certainly make it very hard for her to put on weight.

Do you actually have scales, or are you going by how she looks? That can be very hard to judge.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Some cats have higher metabolisms than others, but I would like to know if her thyroid levels have been checked for hyperthyroidism. That would certainly make it very hard for her to put on weight.

Do you actually have scales, or are you going by how she looks? That can be very hard to judge.
Her thyroid has been checked and all things are good there. She's also been treated for worms (and I haven't seen anything like that in her poop). I'm going off of both? Mika was weighed 2 weeks ago and she hadn't gained weight in the 3 weeks before that. She doesn't look like (or feel like, because I can feel her hip bones and rib cage, with some cushion over it) she has changed at all from that last weighing. I was weighing her on a home scale doing the myself and then myself + her subtraction. I don't trust that though because I don't feel it's as accurate.

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Her thyroid has been checked and all things are good there. She's also been treated for worms (and I haven't seen anything like that in her poop). I'm going off of both? Mika was weighed 2 weeks ago and she hadn't gained weight in the 3 weeks before that. She doesn't look like (or feel like, because I can feel her hip bones and rib cage, with some cushion over it) she has changed at all from that last weighing. I was weighing her on a home scale doing the myself and then myself + her subtraction. I don't trust that though because I don't feel it's as accurate.
I use a Digital Postal scale to weigh my cat. I found it on Amazon for 19.99. I just put a small roasting pan on top of it and set the cat in it.