Cat’s water

raiinexii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Recently, my mother got stainless steel bowls that I asked for since I’ve heard they’re much better for the cats and easier to clean than plastic bowls (the ones I have right now).
(I use these bowls for their water and dry food)
When she brought them, I noticed a sticker on the inside middle of the bowl, I got a bit anxious since I know the glue can be annoying to clean off.
Anyway, I started to clean, and it took a while, but eventually there was no (visible) glue left, but I was still anxious so I cleaned it two more times with soap and hot water.
Now, I don’t see any glue at all, and it looks fine, but I’m still anxious, what if there’s some glue left? Even if it’s a small amount, can it hurt them?
I know water can remove glue, so if theres a tiny amount, can it affect the taste or hurt them? I want them to have water that tastes fine, and also doesn’t harm them.
If theres even a tiny possibility of them being hurt, please do tell me. I’d rather not risk it.
I also clean their water bowls everyday (I also change the water at least 3 times a day, since so much hair gets in) So is there less risk of them being hurt?
Writing this out, it feels ridiculous, but I’m so anxious and I want them to have access to clean drinking water everyday, so please do tell.
Thank you

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you're good to go. You've done everything possible to remove all traces of the glue. None of my cats had any difficulties with the adhesives on their cat bowls. I'm certain your cats won't either.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spray some WD-40 on them and that will help dissolve the adhesive and the stickers should peel right off.
You can use the edge of a plastic spoon or something similar if you still need to scrape away any residue.
It's okay if you have to use multiple applications.

Wash them by hand, using Dawn dish soap and hot water. Rinse well. Dry. Done! :)

If you want a little bit of extra assurance, run them through a cycle in the dishwasher before using them.

Just for information: WD-40 is FDA approved for use in and around food processing facilities or food processing equipment, just so long as it doesn't come into direct contact with any food. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

raiinexii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think you're good to go. You've done everything possible to remove all traces of the glue. None of my cats had any difficulties with the adhesives on their cat bowls. I'm certain your cats won't either.
Thank you so much, I feel less anxious and I’m glad to know that it’s safe for them

raiinexii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Spray some WD-40 on them and that will help dissolve the adhesive and the stickers should peel right off.
You can use the edge of a plastic spoon or something similar if you still need to scrape away any residue.

Wash them by hand, using Dawn dish soap and hot water. Rinse well. Dry. Done! :)

If you want a little bit of extra assurance, run them through a cycle in the dishwasher before using them.

Just for information: WD-40 is FDA approved for use in and around food processing facilities or food processing equipment, just so long as it doesn't come into direct contact with any food. :)
I don’t think I’ve ever seen WD-40 anywhere near where I live, but I cleaned the bowl several times and it doesn’t look like there’s any glue left. I also cleaned the bowl again today and it seems fine, should I still buy WD-40? Or a new bowl? Because someone else replied to the thread and said it was okay and that they had no problems, so I got a bit confused when I saw this
But, thank you anyway! I’m glad to know that if there are products that can help incase I do need it

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think your fine to use the bowls. I've never had any problems a lot of bowls have stickers on them, and washing is all that's needed. Sounds like you've been extra careful. If there's any glue left on you'd feel it when washing the bowls.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of the stickers are held on with a glue that could benefit from some kind of a solvent, like mineral spirits or WD-40. Those will remove the glue right away, but if you scrub well, the glue still comes off with a detergent and hot water. In my case, it just depends how big the sticker is and if I have to go out to the garage to get a solvent (in this weather, I'd be inclined to stay inside and scrub a little longer).

I think perhaps at least one of my cats' dishes still has the remains of the sticker on the bottom!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Anyway, I started to clean, and it took a while, but eventually there was no (visible) glue left, but I was still anxious so I cleaned it two more times with soap and hot water.
Now, I don’t see any glue at all, and it looks fine, but I’m still anxious, what if there’s some glue left? Even if it’s a small amount, can it hurt them?
I know water can remove glue, so if theres a tiny amount, can it affect the taste or hurt them? I want them to have water that tastes fine, and also doesn’t harm them.
Safest way to remove stickers without leaving behind any residual glue is to use a heat gun. If you don't have a heat gun, soak it in water for a substantial amount of time and peel of the sticker and then use olive oil or any edible cooking oil and soak it for a little while more and use a cloth and clean it. The oil will remove all residual stickiness and this works well with fruits with sap that is stuck on the knife or any utensils .

Never use WD-40 or any cleaning chemicals for utensils for eating. WD-40 is good for any other thing except anything that comes in contact with our health or the cat's health.

Raul-7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Just because it's approved by the FDA doesn't make it safe. Plenty of compounds that are approved by the FDA are not safe; like Red#40, Yellow Lake#5, parabens, sulfates, etc.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Curious question: would vinegar/cider vinegar work?
I've always just used soap and water. Plus I have long nails to scrape anything remaining off. I just don't know if it would work or not, I do know it's safe for animals.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of the stickers are held on with a glue that could benefit from some kind of a solvent, like mineral spirits or WD-40.
Well..ummm... That's exactly what WD-40 is made from: Mineral spirits and paraffin.

Me and another guy were fooling around in the lab at work, one day, and we ran a sample through a mass spectrometer to see what it was made of.

I stand by what I said, above. WD-40 is okay to use around food processing areas and utensils PROVIDED THAT YOU DON'T GET IT IN THE FOOD. If you use it on food utensils, WASH WELL WITH SOAP AND WATER before using that utensil with food again.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Martha Stewart uses cooking oil to remove stubborn stickers. Apply and let sit for a bit and then scrape off. Those plastic clips / tags on bags of bread work great as little scrapers. A credit card also works.

Rubbing alcohol also works. Just wash the item thoroughly with soap and water afterwards.

splasha1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Personally I would not use wd 40 on any food safe surface. That stuff is more harmful than any sticker glue.

If you're paranoid about the glue, run through the dishwasher or fill with hot water and soap and let soak overnight.
Where did you get that information from, or is it just your opinion ?

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Rubbing alcohol also works. Just wash the item thoroughly with soap and water afterwards.
Tip: After cleaning a surface with alcohol, wipe it with a clean cloth, then let it flash off for about a half hour. That will give the alcohol time to evaporate completely. For the purposes of this discussion, wash the dish with soap and hot water after letting the alcohol flash off.

raiinexii raiinexii , from what you describe, the dishes are safe for your cat to use.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oilve oil is good to dissolve all traces of glue (or any other oil you have), even WD-40 as someone else said.
Water, soap, even alcohol, do not remove all traces of glue from surfaces.

Wash the dishes at least once a day, so you're sure that they are safe and clean.

I would also add that if you changed your cats' dishes from plastic to steel for allergy reasons, please notice that the best material ever for dishes is glass or china.
Steel is an alloy, and it might contain elements that are allergenic to someone.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Steel is an alloy, and it might contain elements that are allergenic to someone.
Yup! :) It usually contains chromium and/or nickel along with some other trace elements but it depends on what the steel is going to be used for and the properties (strength, bendability or resistance to corrosion among other things) that the steel needs to have.

While iron/steel, nickel or chromium by themselves are not very toxic in reasonable amounts, there is a small segment of the population that can be sensitive to chrome or nickel. Extended contact with nickel can cause a skin rash known as "nickel itch."

Have you ever heard of a person who can't wear jewelry made of certain metals because they break out from it?
That's what we're talking about.

If you discover that you are sensitive to nickel, chromium or something else, just stop using those items that contain it and the problem will go away.

There should not be any lasting effects once you remove the substance that's causing your problem.

Nice Loki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pro-tip for removing sticker residue : if you got most of it off, then using the sticky side of the same sticker firmly dab with a "stick-and-pull-off" motion repeatedly at the remaining spots, this will (in most cases) remove all remains.
Alternatively use some Sellotape instead. Just as you would when using a big blob of Blu-tac to pick up smaller blobs of Blu-tac, same principle.

It really does work and leaves no residue. I've done it many times on plastic and metal surfaces successfully.

raiinexii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Tip: After cleaning a surface with alcohol, wipe it with a clean cloth, then let it flash off for about a half hour. That will give the alcohol time to evaporate completely. For the purposes of this discussion, wash the dish with soap and hot water after letting the alcohol flash off.

raiinexii raiinexii , from what you describe, the dishes are safe for your cat to use.
Thank you so much!! It's been quite a while and everything seems fine so far, so I'm really glad!

raiinexii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oilve oil is good to dissolve all traces of glue (or any other oil you have), even WD-40 as someone else said.
Water, soap, even alcohol, do not remove all traces of glue from surfaces.

Wash the dishes at least once a day, so you're sure that they are safe and clean.

I would also add that if you changed your cats' dishes from plastic to steel for allergy reasons, please notice that the best material ever for dishes is glass or china.
I haven't changed it due to allergy reasons, but I should also check with the vet incase. Although nothing has happened, I do think it's better to know beforehand.