Cat's Voice Suddenly Changed

GeoDjay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello, I hope all is well.
My six-year-old cat's voice suddenly became different. She now meows with a very high pitched squeaky voice. At first, I thought that perhaps it was a one time thing, but she's using this voice exclusively. I called the vet, and he told me to keep an eye on her to see if she's acting like she might be sick, but I told him that she seems perfectly fine; she's eating, drinking, and moving normally. The vet told me that it might be nothing to worry about. She's also spayed so the issue can't be because she's in heat.
Has anyone here had a similar experience, and what was the reason behind the voice change?
Thank you!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont know what it would be. But if it is a big change i would suggest a vet visit. Cats will occasionally swallow something that may be stuck. Or she could have inflammation, a growth, i dont know. I just know that with any big noticeable change in my guys i would want the vet to actually check them out.
Hopefully it is nothing, but i would want to be sure. Do keep us updated! :crossfingers:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GeoDjay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will visit the vet since I’m so worried about her...

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I may know this one. Does your cat sound hoarse? Mine did, so I internet researched it. Turns out that this can commonly happen from a random illness or allergies, and its considered appropriate to wait one week to see if it resolves before going to the vet if the voice is the only symptom. I waited one week, called in the am as it wasn't resolved. In the pm, it was better and the next day it was gone. My cat gets a variety of strange symptoms from allergies every summer, but laryngitis has never recurred so a temporary minor illness may have been the more likely cause. That said, just like in people, allergies can manifest in a variety of weird ways in cats.

I'm all for checking things out, but here I think its safe to listen to your vet, especially if it hasn't been over a week and this is the only symptom. Its allergy season and you don't want to waste money on nothing -- money you won't have when something more troubling rolls around.

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hopefully it's nothing, but since you're worried, a vet visit will at least ease your mind. Let us know what you find out.

GeoDjay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the replies!
So far, she’s still acting normally without any clear signs of illness. I will keep an eye on her, and pay the vet a visit if my worrying doesn’t subside.

GeoDjay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does your cat sound hoarse?
It was clear high pitched when I started this thread, but I realized it became a little hoarse today.

Ghoulofnagoya

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Levi had a grumbly meow when young but he got high pitched meow now. I was assuming he changed it as he got to know me and knew I talk to him in a high tone. Thought he was copying. Maybe same for your kitty?

GeoDjay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat is six and the only change in voice that occurred is during the transition from kittenhood to adulthood. I’ve never heard her meow high pitched like this before.

Allisa4757

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi GeoDjay, I did have this issue with my cat late in his illness. My cat had a localized slow growing tumor around the rt. side of his jaw. I had it removed twice, but after the second time the tumor changed into many small tumors. Towards the end of his life his meow changed, and by the time I put him to sleep, he was no longer able to meow.
I don't mean to scare you, but it could be an early tumor or growth around the vocal cords.
I pray not and probably it is not that...but an X-ray may be a good idea?

Allisa4757

GeoDjay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi GeoDjay, I did have this issue with my cat late in his illness. My cat had a localized slow growing tumor around the rt. side of his jaw. I had it removed twice, but after the second time the tumor changed into many small tumors. Towards the end of his life his meow changed, and by the time I put him to sleep, he was no longer able to meow.
I don't mean to scare you, but it could be an early tumor or growth around the vocal cords.
I pray not and probably it is not that...but an X-ray may be a good idea?

Allisa4757
Thanks for sharing. I now understand that it could be something very serious, and I should visit the vet as soon as possible.
I don’t know if this means anything, but she lets me feel around her throat area, and so she doesn’t seem to be in pain or discomfort.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm definitely a bit biased though because of how this went down with my cat -- I didn't reveal the full facts in my post above. On the day we hit one week from when my cat first got hoarse, I made the appointment. My cat's voice was somewhat better by the afternoon, but not entirely, and I figured keep the appointment. The vet's practice cat was roaming loose, and my gentle cat went nuts. The idiot vet put a towel on her to restrain her, barely examined her, certainly didn't look in the throat, and seemed to rely on my "it seems to be betting better" statement to send us on the way without even a full exam, charged me for a visit, and the next day my cat was entirely better. To this day I'm annoyed that I paid the bill without exploding at him.

Its my understanding that there are indeed many serious things that this could be, but many temporary causes as well, with the temporary causes being MUCH more common, with upper respiratory infection and allergies being quite likely. So if your cat seems otherwise fine, objectively it may make sense to wait a few more days if your cat gets stressed by visiting the vet, the money is a hardship or anything of that sort, but I do understand if your worrying too much to do that.

Last edited:

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Although it could be something serious, looking at your cats you have persians? My first thought would be allergies, especially if it's summer where you live, with the shorter nasal passages they will get stuffed up faster. Also with persians they can have runny eyes anyway (not sure if your cats have that issue) so you may over look it as a symptom.

It could also be your cat's way of getting attention if you have been ignoring her. One of my cats, who has claimed my husband has her human (he is not thrilled, she is pretty demanding) will change her meow from time to time if her normal one stops getting a response. It only lasts a couple days, and only when my husband comes home (so it's the only meow he hears from her), since he is the one she is trying to get attention from. This has been going on for at least a couple years now so I don't think anything is wrong with her.

GeoDjay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm definitely a bit biased though because of how this went down with my cat -- I didn't reveal the full facts in my post above. On the day we hit one week from when my cat first got hoarse, I made the appointment. My cat's voice was somewhat better by the afternoon, but not entirely, and I figured keep the appointment. The vet's practice cat was roaming loose, and my gentle cat went nuts. The idiot vet put a towel on her to restrain her, barely examined her, certainly didn't look in the throat, and seemed to rely on my "it seems to be betting better" statement to send us on the way without even a full exam, charged me for a visit, and the next day my cat was entirely better. To this day I'm annoyed that I paid the bill without exploding at him.

Its my understanding that there are indeed many serious things that this could be, but many temporary causes as well, with the temporary causes being MUCH more common, with upper respiratory infection and allergies being quite likely. So if your cat seems otherwise fine, objectively it may make sense to wait a few more days if your cat gets stressed by visiting the vet, the money is a hardship or anything of that sort, but I do understand if your worrying too much to do that.
I see where you’re coming from; you do have a point.

GeoDjay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Although it could be something serious, looking at your cats you have persians? My first thought would be allergies, especially if it's summer where you live, with the shorter nasal passages they will get stuffed up faster. Also with persians they can have runny eyes anyway (not sure if your cats have that issue) so you may over look it as a symptom.

It could also be your cat's way of getting attention if you have been ignoring her. One of my cats, who has claimed my husband has her human (he is not thrilled, she is pretty demanding) will change her meow from time to time if her normal one stops getting a response. It only lasts a couple days, and only when my husband comes home (so it's the only meow he hears from her), since he is the one she is trying to get attention from. This has been going on for at least a couple years now so I don't think anything is wrong with her.
I do have Persians, and I’m coming to think it could be allergies during the summer (it’s been too hot these days) although there isn’t anything different with her eyes (they’re usually not really runny, and they aren’t now).
As for the attention part, the first time I heard her new voice was when she used it to get attention. However, the other variants of her voice, including those unrelated to wanting attention or asking for food, changed as well so I’m thinking it might be physiological.

liz35

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This has happened a couple of times with my cat and it has always returned to normal in a day or two. The meow changes to a more high pitched softer meow. Maybe she wore out her vocal cords, or has a little allergy. Always good to get her checked out though.

GeoDjay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: After 48 hours, the meow is still different from her regular one, but it’s not as high pitched as it was when the voice change happened. There are still no apparent sickness signs. I think at this point the most reasonable thing to do is to wait to see what happens as RtNJ said and pay the vet a visit if something concerning arises.

SDerailed

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Siamese' s voice changed to be high pitched and hoarse when she first got an URI. There were no other symptoms except for a couple of sneezes. She even let me feel around her throat.
Usually when a cat looses or has a hoarse voice they look at two major culprits; a respitory infection and hyperthyroidism. She is a bit young for hyperthyroidism and If she hasn't lost weight Id just watch for some signs of a URI. Will she let you put your head on her to check her breathing? Do you hear any signs for stuffiness?