Cats & Valerian Root

maherwoman

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Anyone know of the effect of Valerian Root on cats?

It's a bit of a long story, but needless to say a caplet full of Valarian Root got lost in the house, and just turned up being played with by Hobbes. I rescued the poor caplet and tossed it, but I guess the scent (and maybe traces of it) are now in the carpet on which it was laying, and Sunny has just gotten absolutely OBSESSED with that patch of carpet. She's licking it, clawing it, biting it, etc.

So, I ask, because both of my kitties have now ingested a bit of this, is it going to harm them? It just happened within the hour, and nothing by way of an adverse reaction has been spotted with them yet, but I just want to be sure.

Anyone know?

Thanks for your replies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maherwoman

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Another note...if anyone knows of a website that has maybe a listing of things that are poisonous to cats, could you please pm it to me? Thanks!!

elizwithcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats love it, but its' a stimulant for cats, not calming agent it is in people.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by maherwoman

Anyone know of the effect of Valerian Root on cats?

It's a bit of a long story, but needless to say a caplet full of Valarian Root got lost in the house, and just turned up being played with by Hobbes. I rescued the poor caplet and tossed it, but I guess the scent (and maybe traces of it) are now in the carpet on which it was laying, and Sunny has just gotten absolutely OBSESSED with that patch of carpet. She's licking it, clawing it, biting it, etc.

So, I ask, because both of my kitties have now ingested a bit of this, is it going to harm them? It just happened within the hour, and nothing by way of an adverse reaction has been spotted with them yet, but I just want to be sure.

Anyone know?

Thanks for your replies.
They'll be fine, just stoned
I make up my own blend of catnip and valerian root, it's very popular with my cats!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ps for more information on honeysuckle or valerian, I have a faq about each on my website.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Valerian root is pretty much (safe) "kitty dope". Some cats that don't react to catnip will go into ecstasy when exposed to valerian root.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maherwoman

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's so funny!! I had no idea about how much cats love valarean root!!

Thanks, guys!!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for asking... as I was going to use valerian as a calming agent..lol.. throws that idea out window...

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Thank you for asking... as I was going to use valerian as a calming agent..lol.. throws that idea out window...
hehe its calming for people..but..yeah for kitties lol

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

From what I've read in cat magazines, valerian is a calming agent for cats if ingested, but otherwise, i.e., sniffed, it's a stimulant.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

From what I've read in cat magazines, valerian is a calming agent for cats if ingested, but otherwise, i.e., sniffed, it's a stimulant.
So far...Alix just plays with her new valerian spiced catnip toy like any catnip toy, but she is intensely interested in it. A sample of the blend I made, did cause a friend's kitty to tear a hole in a room door to get to it, but then he simply got silly and stoned as he does with plain catnip.

I guess it may be an very individual response. Of all the valerian toys I've had no feedback from folks indicating it acted as a stimulant (these toys had polyfill and were spritzed with valerian root oil - diluted oil).

artyjill

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was also going to get it as a calming  agent to and l Nealy ordered it yesterday but got busy and forgot so thank you, Will be also throwing it out the window. to,

Jilly

anne3007

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not harmful whatsoever. I myself make valerian cushions for cats for sale, and I also make them for my own cats of course. :) I regularly give my cats just some valerian root so they can eat it if they want to. Two of my cats love to eat it, my other cat just starts rolling around the pieces of valerian root on the floor. 

It is a natural herb , and I am sure that it isn't harmful, but I never give them huge amounts though. Just a teaspoon or so is enough to make your cat completely happy and relaxed :)

Anyway, catnip is more of a stimulant for cats. Valerian helps to reduce stress. 
It simply calms the cat down. It not only relieves anxiety, it soothes nervous stomachs. Another difference between valerian and catnip is that not all cats fall for catnip. It's an inherited sensitivity, and if your cat didn't get that gene, he simply won't care about catnip. Almost all cats love valerian. 

So no worries if your kitty ate some of it. :) I give this once a week or sometimes even more. A cat behaviorist I know recommended this (the cushions as well as giving them some pure valerian root). If i had any doubts about it I would never give it to my cats.

Last edited:

mochasmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I realize this is a very old thread, but I just had to respond by saying my cat LOVES valerian root.  He can be across the room from me when I open a new bottle, and he perks right up.  I've never actually given him any, I just let him play with the cap or bottle when it's empty, but I did wonder if it was safe and also if other cats loved it too, or was Mocha the only one, because my other cat, who has gone to heaven now, didn't care one bit about it, but Mocha is just totally obsessed.  It really is a sight to see how he responds to it.  Anyway, thanks for letting me post this here and for the helpful tips and websites.  God bless.