Cats unable to mate

WissoG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone, i have a problem that i wish someone can help me with. i own 2 cats, male and female, whenever the female gets in heat and they try to mate, the male can't seem to do the deed. She allows him to mount her, and he grabs her by the neck but is never able to " stick it in " as I've seen, he always starts at the tail and goes up missing the " hole " completely. They'd do this all day for weeks and still nothing ever happene. This has happened for 2 cycles already and now is the third. I tried getting him another cat in heat ( because the female i have is older ). Yet, the other female i got comes over and bends to me but whenever he comes close to her she runs away from him. Soooo, How can i teach him how to mate?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Do you have a mentor for your breed? The breeder of your cats might be able to help.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Super Cat
Purraise
What purpose are you attempting to breed your animals for? TCS is a pro-spay-and-neuter forum. There are many random-bred cats looking for homes in shelters the world over, and it’s currently kitten season, on top of it. You’d be best off getting your animals neutered. Healthiest thing for them, as well.

Kat0121

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Maurey Maurey is correct. Please consider spaying/neutering your cats. Breeding is not something to go into lightly. There are many things that can go wrong and it can be costly if something does. Most breeders do not make much, if any money at all from kittens because the expenses can be very high. Vet bills, extra food for the queen, etc. That's if nothing goes wrong. The kindest thing you can do for them is to have them fixed.

Last edited:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
don't forget, if things go wrong, a C-section, which if needed isn't a debatable option, will cost between one and four grand. At least find out how much your vet will charge for one.