Cats toe is swollen

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not something I am familiar with. I will say that it doesn't look like a "screaming emergency," or not now. I would watch it for 24-48 hours. If it gets worse, or does not change, call and make an appointment to get it seen.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No he’s an indoor kitty. Are spider bites dangerous to cats?
I would suspect some spider bites as well as some wasps or bees could be dangerous for cats. We never had any lingering problems when our cats were stung, but they did have some pain and the affected area had swelling (lips, toes). It went away in a few days.
Trouble signs might be dark urine, trouble breathing or lethargy.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
some spider bites can be lethal...think (in the US) brown recluse and black widow. Think how badly we react, and how much small cats are. However, if it were one of those, it would look MUCH worse today, and you would be seeing other problems as well, some neurological, and all very obvious.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Magneto007

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just wanted to update in case anyone else has this problem in the future. Turns out he had a tiny splinter he was chewing at. Thank you to everyone who responded! :)

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thrilled to hear it was so simple! Did he get it out? You? The vet? I'm so happy it is gone. You might have eventually had an abscess on your hands!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Magneto007

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thrilled to hear it was so simple! Did he get it out? You? The vet? I'm so happy it is gone. You might have eventually had an abscess on your hands!
It was a mix of home remedies and a little bit of patience lol. Since his toe was very swollen the splinter managed to get itself deeper into the skin. Whenever I saw him sleeping I would heat up some water add a bit of salt and dip a cotton ball to place on the swollen area. The swelling eventually went down and once again I waited to catch him sleeping. With a pair of tweezers and a steady hand I managed to get the sucker out!