Cat's Tail Drooping

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just noticed today that my cat's, tail appears to be drooping, I think it was this morning too, but I didn't really register it. I arrived back a couple of days ago, from a holiday, and think she was fine then (I remember her sitting thrashing it and it upright and all hair on end last night, after she was alarmed) and videos from cat sitter on 23rd May and photo from 29 show it clearly looking OK.

She seems well in herself, eating, interested, no sign of pain, but not responding much when I touch the tip and maybe some swelling/bump at the point where it starts to droop. She does appear to be able to move tip and tuck tail round her when sitting down.

There have been no incidents with doors or standing of her tail. She is indoor only cat and 2 years old. She does leap when playing and rushes around with her son Leo, so could have hurt herself while I was out or asleep.

I'm trying to contact my vet, but if necessary will contact out of hours vet, is not my regular vet (it is after 9pm Friday in uk). I'd appreciate any thoughts or advice, as quite worried.
Many thanks

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It does sound like she might have injured it somehow. I don't know if it is an emergency or not - only you can make that decision. I would guess a vet would want to x-ray her tail to see if they can find anything broken/sprained.

Until you do get to a vet, periodically check on her tail and see if the swelling is diminishing or getting worse. Also, certainly consider it an emergency if she starts to show signs of being in pain, or reduces her eating/drinking, or if it becomes painful to the touch where you feel the swelling/bump.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have no experience with this but are you able to examine the tail to see if you get any reaction from her. Gently feel for bumps etc. It could be that she has knocked it against a door, wall or furniture. It could be a small fracture or even an abcess. One of my cats had an abcess from a neighbours cat bite and he couldn't hold his tail up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your replies, I will keep a very close eye on her and call out of hours vet if still same in the morning or worse. Ideally I prefer to speak to our regular vet, as she is so experienced and the out of hours vet has caused some unnecessary stress to me and the cats before.

Biscuit doesn't appear in pain when I touch her tail at the point where it hangs down. She did flick the tip just now when interested in something and moved it when looking other way and I very gently touched the tip.

I can't see any obvious abscess, and she is behaving normally otherwise. Jumping on things, running up stairs talking to me and now in her radiator cat bed.

Her one year old son Leo (she arrived with me pregnant) is unlikely to have attacked her, he adores her and knows she is top cat. And he has matured enough to know pouncing on her tail is not wise.

Thanks again for the suggestions and replies.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That all sounds promising. Lets hope a vets visit is not necessary. Why do our cats always have illnesses on the weekends!!
As Feebysowner said, please keep us posted.

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had a cat with a tail fracture/break. You should take him to a vet. The danger is nerve damage and/or loss of blood supply beyond the point of the break. Not meaning to scare you. My understanding is that usually they heal on their own with no further complications and my cats tail healed up pretty quickly. But best course of action is to have a vet assess the injury and make sure there is no significant nerve damage or impedance of blood flow to the rest of the tail.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Gohan hurt his back last year and his tail dropped completely. He was in obvious pain.

Over time it healed and continues to have his tail become stronger, although there seems to be some
Lasting droopiness so far.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is not a normal position for a tail to be in. As long as she can move it and allows you to touch it, she should recover in time, but if you see no improvement by Monday, take her in to be sure. Just make really sure she can move the tip.

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks all. I sent a video clip to our regular vet and spoke to her this morning. She thinks bruising or abcess could do this. I doubt abscess as no obvious injury and she is very well in herself otherwise (and her son is extremely unlikely to have hurt her).
Vet said xrays of tail often don't show much, and as not much space in tail a bit of swelling can lead to these symptoms.
Also I think there is a little improvement since yesterday. So we agreed I keep close eye on her, and call the vet if concerned, there is more swelling or she appears unwell.

I will let you know what happens - thanks again for the replies.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Its really good that you sent the video and that your vet would look at it and get back to you, many vets wouldn't. You can relax a little now and hopefully her tail will be back to normal in a day or so.

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, excellent that your vet was willing to take the time and look at the video. Pretty sure my current vet would not have and would have made me bring him in. If the cat doesn't appear to be in pain, that's surely a good sign. It's been a long time but I remember my cat being in quite a bit of discomfort, especially when his tail was touched. But again, he recovered quickly.

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes she is a wonderful vet and very experienced - we are very lucky having her. Biscuit arrived in my life pregnant, and one kitten had leg problems - so this vet and thecatsite was a huge support during all that. She has a small practice, so uses another vets practice for out of hours, but will always try to get back to you. A local pet sitter recommended her to me.

Biscuit's tail appears to be improving slightly - she briefly held it slightly closer to upright and more movement in the tip.

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Biscuit's tail continues to improve. She holds it more upright for long periods and wags the tip more. She even put her butt in my face - not something that I normally appreciate! She still has a kink in her tail and I sent pictures from yesterday to the vet We have an appointment tomorrow, but I think she made fair progress today, so considering cancelling it - I'll have a good look in the morning.

A couple of pictures from yesterday and today.

DSC_0199.JPG

_20190603_220304.JPG

_20190603_220351.JPG

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm really puzzled to as to what could have happened. On the day I noticed it I searched for any evidence of disturbance, but could see anything. I put up an extended window ledge bed for them a few weeks ago and there is a small gap where a tail perhaps could have got caught. I've blocked it up now just in case. She does leap around especially playing with 'da bird' toy, so I'll try to be more careful with that - as vet said symptoms may not have shown immediately, so perhaps she fell awkwardly.

Pleased to say she continues to improve gradually, with tail able to stay up straight more and more swishing back and forth movements. I think perhaps a tail 'sprain'

She is very well otherwise, although a bit more grumpy with her one year old kitten. She hisses and bashes him a bit more often, but he doesn't seem to mind at all, just looks a bit bemused. She did give he a good face wash as normal a couple of evenings ago, so hopefully they will continue to get on OK. He is normally very good with her, respecting she is top cat and sitting with his back to her and rolling over etc.. Guess she may have been feeling odd with tail not right or giving him mixed tail signals!

Tail today
DSC_0225.JPG

Her son Leo
DSC_0221.JPG

DSC_0219.JPG

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I think she owned me with those eyes from the moment I met her! When playing they get so dilated and wild looking!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your kitchen and bath cabinets are like many they are set with a spring to close when almost shut. The distance being about what a cat would need to get in and later out of the cabinet. It seems unlikely that the cabinet slammed hard enough to kink her tail, but if she and 'baby' were playing chase and she was almost in and he threw his weight against it... Maybe .