Cat's suture opened

meowyi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all,

I was googling what to do if a cat pulled their stitches out and came across this forum. My cat went in for surgery yesterday afternoon to remove an infected skin tag at the base of his tail. I noticed this evening that one of the stitches (out of three) were gone. He does have a cone but I had removed it so he could eat. Is there anything I should/could do in the meantime before I contact my vet tomorrow?

Thank you :)

IMG_1666.jpg

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, I think there isn't much you can do but having him wear the cone when you can't control or check on him. It's OK to remove it when he's eating and you're there with him, but I advise you to put the cone on when you can't control him.
The gone stitch is gone, the vet won't replace it. Just take care of the incision and make sure it doesn't get infected or drains fluids.
From the photo everything seems fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meowyi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I think there isn't much you can do but having him wear the cone when you can't control or check on him. It's OK to remove it when he's eating and you're there with him, but I advise you to put the cone on when you can't control him.
The gone stitch is gone, the vet won't replace it. Just take care of the incision and make sure it doesn't get infected or drains fluids.
From the photo everything seems fine.
Thank you!!! I've wrapped the area up and I'll keep an eye out for infection/fluids.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meowyi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'd dare to say that wrapping the incision might even be counterproductive, the incision needs to take air to heal properly. It is much better to put the come to your kitty and let the suture "breathe".
Thank you. I just removed it and thankfully the incision looks fine so far!

BE751DB7-7BF1-4F91-986C-731411E8C0DF.jpeg

6639933C-8F74-4923-9BE1-CF8386ED6EA4.jpeg