Cats suddenly getting fussy over their food choices

JimmyL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all

Hope everyone is well - I have not been on the site for a long time.

Our cats have suddenly got fussy over the food they eat. We have now changed to another brand and they still won't eat. The bigger, younger cat is very grumpy about it - and when he gets hungry in this way, he attacks our smaller blind cat. The cats have never particularly got on, but the attacks are quite vicious when hunger is involved.

It does seem like a battle of wills! When we go out for the day and leave whatever food gets put down, it does seem to get eaten!

I guess perseverance is the answer; but are there any tips from anybody who has experienced anything similar (?)

Thanks

James

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, welcome back!

When we go out for the day and leave whatever food gets put down, it does seem to get eaten!
I guess perseverance is the answer
Perseverance isn't necessarily the best approach here. Do you have a way to set up a camera so you can see what's happening and who is eating while you're gone? Are you weighing the cats to make sure both cats are getting enough?

I'm guessing the manufacturer of the first food changed the recipe (this sort of thing was happening even before the current situation everywhere of supply chain issues), and the second food isn't particularly acceptable at least by the younger cat, especially since I assume you didn't have much chance to do a slow transition to it.

I would definitely keep trying different brands--there are a lot on the market now including a canned product that's partly made with mouse.

Also, separate the two cats during feeding time until this gets squared away. It's much too stressful for your blind baby to be subjected to these unexpected attacks, and stress is really hard on a cat.

See about providing Cat Music for the blind cat - there's RelaxMyCat .com, MusicForCats .com, and spotify and other sources have harp music that's been written especially for cats :)

Last edited:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few thoughts to add to Furballsmom Furballsmom 's suggestions.

It sounds to me, too, like the cats need to be separated at meal time. Our two cats are littermates but they still have weird spats, some of which involve food.

If the weather has suddenly gotten hotter where you are, the heat might be affecting your cats' appetites.

Constipation can also affect appetite. One of our cats has had mild constipation on and off for years: she gets cranky and eat less. Vet's Best anti-hairball tablets have now been keeping her pretty regular for about a year, a relief for all concerned!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all

Hope everyone is well - I have not been on the site for a long time.

Our cats have suddenly got fussy over the food they eat. We have now changed to another brand and they still won't eat. The bigger, younger cat is very grumpy about it - and when he gets hungry in this way, he attacks our smaller blind cat. The cats have never particularly got on, but the attacks are quite vicious when hunger is involved.

It does seem like a battle of wills! When we go out for the day and leave whatever food gets put down, it does seem to get eaten!

I guess perseverance is the answer; but are there any tips from anybody who has experienced anything similar (?)

Thanks

James
I also have to separate. My cats. Peaches can be grumpy and attack if anyone tries to take her food so she eats in my bathroom. Coco on the counter and Maggie in my living room