Cats Suddenly Fighting

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not just play fighting, not just hiss, growl, swat, then walk away fighting, I mean fur and blood fighting.

But it starts off in a.....different way. Fresca is an easily overstimulated Cat and it took her a while to accept Patch and Alana after I brought them home, she would walk up to them and sniff, then puff out her tail, hiss, and growl and either swat them or run away. Lately she's been wanting to play with them and Patch doesn't mind, but whenever Fresca goes up to Alana she will start to hiss and growl and that sets Fresca off. She will then stalk Alana, corner her, and sit there swishing her puffed up tail until Alana either attacks her or runs off, in which case they fight or it continues in the next spot that Alana decides to park herself in.

Neither one cares if the other lays down nearby, they both share my lap on a daily basis and both sleep on or next to me at night. It's just for whatever reason Alana does not want to play with Fresca.

Alana has had drops of blood on her nose once or twice but yesterday Fresca's face looked like this after a particularly loud spat. I'm putting antibiotic ointment on the cut, but I'd much rather prevent things like this from continuing to happen.
Fresca cut.jpg

My Vet says it's probably because all 4 Cats are female, but it doesn't seem like a territorial or dominance issue like it is with Callie (she is 15 and just wants to be left alone) who will smack the crap out of any of them who get too close to her. They will peacefully coexist until Fresca decides she wants to run and play with Alana so I'm doubtful a reintroduction would solve the problem. Fresca will even occasionally bury her nose in Alana's rear end and clean her and even that doesn't bother her. Alana, Fresca, and Patch are all young Cats, Fresca being 4 and the others not even 3 yet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi!
Have you tried any calming treats for Alana?
Calming treats? That's new. I was going to try a feliway diffuser but haven't gotten it yet, I'll probably end up ordering it from amazon since it's cheaper than at my vet and the pet store is usually out of whatever I happen to need at that particular moment.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My thinking was because feliway is expensive and sometimes can actually cause increased aggression, to try a different type of product. Also, be careful of Amazon's third party fake product issue.

You could look into these;
Only Natural Pet has a product called Just Relax Calming spray with essential oil (catnip oil).

There's this one, be sure and scroll all the way down the page;
Bach Flower Remedies - Rescue Remedy Pets Dogs Cats Horses Birds

Music can be useful in helping a cat to relax (not 24 hours a day though, just now and then for a couple hours or so). Musicforcats . com, or there's an app called Relax My Cat.

You could try one of these, only a small selection of a fast-growing section of pet products;
Richard's Organics Pet Calm-this one is drops that you put on the tip of the tongue. Also, Quiet Moments Cat treats, and there is Calming Care, Calm-o-mile, Sentry, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, Pet Remedy (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-ease, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has calming products, Pet Naturals also has one I believe.

Also Thunderease has diffusers as does Sentry, Comfort Zone and feliway as mentioned although diffusers are expensive and not always the answer.

If it's legal where you are, you might want to check with your vet but some people have good results with CBD oil, plus there are vet-prescribed calming products too.
Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course chewy, also there's Petwishpros, animaleo, 1-800-petmeds, Petco and PetSmart, and other pet stores.

There is also a product called a lickimat which could be helpful, as cats can be calmed by the process of licking. The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats

This discussion's post talks about some other products;
Calming Treats For A Very Picky Cat

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Almost forgot that Chewy has stuff like that. I was thinking Amazon because I've got some credit there, but yeah I'm always careful about 3rd party vendors. I avoid them if at all possible, and even then I only use the ones that are fulfilled by Amazon so if something goes wrong at least I can get my money back.

You mentioned legal with CBD, so I'm guessing that's cannabis? It's legal here in Michigan but I don't think I want to go there except as a last resort. I'll do some digging with the other things you mentioned though, thanks for the suggestions.