Cats Suddenly Fighting

Goli

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

I have two cats, one a black male I've had for about 3 years, the other a gray female I've had for about 2 years. When I first got the gray female I put her in a separate room and introduced them slowly (Though not without a few small scraps at first) and ever since then they've been good friends (Sleeping together, playing together etc). The black male is a good bit bigger than the gray female, but the gray female is quite fierce and not one to back down.

Then, this passed Saturday, my girlfriend let the black male out into the fenced backyard, where the gray female was already hanging out. My girlfriend thinks she may have slightly shut the door on the black cats tail, although their appears to be no swelling or pain on its tail. Regardless of that, the two cats suddenly got into a huge scrap, but we are able to separate them quickly. About a minute later I reintroduced them (Stupidly) and the gray female went after the black male and chased him under a bed where they got into an even bigger scrap, with the black male getting punched in the eye and the gray female getting a cut on her shoulder. I took the black cat to the vet (Mistakenly thinking he had been the one to get cut) but the vet didn't find any cuts and even did a stain of his eye to make sure. Sure enough when we got home we found a small cut on the gray cat, but no cuts on the black cat.

Anyways (Apologies for the long story) we put the gray cat in a separate room, but it's been a few days and they still aren't getting along. I tried to reintroduce them once but it didn't go well, with the gray cat again charging the black cat. I bought a collapsible gate and put it between the door frame of the room the gray cat is in thinking it would be a safe way for them to re-familiarize themselves, but the black cat avoids the area entirely and will hiss if he sees the gray cat through the gate.

1. How should I go about re-introducing them, and how long should I wait before I try to allow for physical contact between them again AKA letting them co-exist in the same space. I bought some Feliway pheromone dispensers (Probably snake oil but I'm willing to try anything) that should be arriving soon.

2. Am I trying to rush re-introducing them? I figured since they have co-existed peacefully for 2 years now that I'd be able to do it quicker than when I first got the gray female, but is this wishful thinking?

3. I have always had them use a single litter box. Is it time to go to 2 boxes?

4. Any advice or help from someone who has been in a similar situation would be appreciated.

TOO LONG DIDN'T READ: Why are my cats (Who have been friends for two years) suddenly fighting viciously, and what do I do to stop it.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1/2. You are doing it right it may just take awhile, weeks even. I like the gate in the door frame. Feed them on either side of the gate or near if they can't handle being that close. Maybe offer something new or wet food or something they LOVE. I was going to suggest Feliway so thats good you ordered some.

3. The general rule is 1 litterbox per cat plus 1 extra. I would definitely get at least 1 more if not 2 more...

4. I don't have a lot else to add. You are on the right track!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Goli

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, one final note. For a long time I have allowed 2 stray cats to stay underneath my house to keep warm. Two months ago a skunk started going under there, and would spray and it would stink up my entire house. I waited until both stray cats were outside of the house, and blocked off all the entrances as I couldn't stand the skunk smell anymore (It broke my heart blocking access to the cats...). Some animal dug another entrance in another area and I blocked that one off as well.

Then today my neighbor told me that he around 11 in the morning yesterday he saw 10-12 cats circling around the blocked off entrances but couldn't get in. Is it possible their are kittens under there? Does that make sense in terms of the time of year it currently is? I'm nervous that maybe I blocked the mother cats access to their kittens...

But I also ask because is this something that might be ticking off my gray female and causing her aggression?

Thanks!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably the pain of getting the tail caught in the door was blamed on the other cat is what triggered it initially. Cats are bad about properly linking pain or something scary to the source. This is called redirected aggression, and its fairly common. Less common that it totally breaks down an existing cat relationship, but it does happen. After the initial redirected aggression they fought, and now there is lasting bad will. Cats have short memories like that, unfortunately. You need to treat it like a from scratch introduction:

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction

The short memories thing will work for you in the long run, but you may need the full introduction process. If they weren't actually fighting, and were just hissing and posturing you could try to let them work it out, but actual fighting with intent is hard to get past without a reset.

Last edited:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, one final note. For a long time I have allowed 2 stray cats to stay underneath my house to keep warm. Two months ago a skunk started going under there, and would spray and it would stink up my entire house. I waited until both stray cats were outside of the house, and blocked off all the entrances as I couldn't stand the skunk smell anymore (It broke my heart blocking access to the cats...). Some animal dug another entrance in another area and I blocked that one off as well.

Then today my neighbor told me that he around 11 in the morning yesterday he saw 10-12 cats circling around the blocked off entrances but couldn't get in. Is it possible their are kittens under there? Does that make sense in terms of the time of year it currently is? I'm nervous that maybe I blocked the mother cats access to their kittens...

But I also ask because is this something that might be ticking off my gray female and causing her aggression?

Thanks!
It is possible. There are kittens this time of the year, we have already live trapped a few that seem to be about 2 months old this spring. hopefully it hasn't been long and you can check?

Goli

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for the replays.

duckpond duckpond I'm not sure how I would check as their is not an area big enough for me to fit in to get under the house... Feel dreadful about it but not sure what I can do besides unblock the entrances which I've already done.

Goli

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is possible. There are kittens this time of the year, we have already live trapped a few that seem to be about 2 months old this spring. hopefully it hasn't been long and you can check?
I don't know how I could, as their isn't a big enough hole to crawl in to explore the underside of the house... Feel terrible about it though. What's odd is I had only ever seen the two strays, but my neighbor says he saw 10-12 around the area looking for a way in... Breaks my heart

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
10 to 12 cats?? Wow! Maybe you could call in a TNR group to get them trapped and fixed. Or a wildlife person? to get the skunk? I would prefer to get the skunk out personally and take care of the cats but I am a crazy cat lady lolol.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to The Cat Site. :wave2:

About your 2 cats, A ArtNJ posted links to the 2 introduction articles I was going to suggest. And, from threads I've read, Feliway does seem to help in some cases. Hopefully it will for your cats too. :crossfingers:

Here's a couple more TCS article that may be helpful:
The Multi-cat Household
How To Safely Break Up A Cat Fight

About the 10-12 cats circling around your house, there certainly could be kittens under there. More than one litter, actually, if there were that many cats seen.

And, obviously, you have a bigger feral cat situation than you realized. I agree with jen jen that you should see if there is a TNR group in your area who could help you, at least get them spayed/neutered, or you'll have 20-30 (or more) cats by this time next year. :(

Here's are some links to articles on ferals:
Feral Cats - The Invisible Felines
9 Practical Ways For You To Help Feral Cats
10 Facts You Should Know About Feral Cats
Saving Feral Cats

TCS has a forum on sprays & ferals:
Caring for Strays and Ferals

Good luck with both your own 2 kitties, and the ones outside. :heartshape:

Goli

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all your answers. The cats seem to be making a bit of progress but the gray one is still being a bit over aggressive, which causes the black one to be defensive and hiss in response.

Has anyone tried re-introducing or introducing cats by having the more aggressive one in a cat harness and keeping it on a leash? Or could this cause even more problems?

Again, thank you for all the answers

JT'w/3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good question...was wondering about this myself...behaviorist recommended "thundershirt" I can't imagine getting one of those on either of my 15# ers....Lol

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
a small dog Thundershirt perhaps? I had to do that with my XL cat once.

Gink64

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm having the exact same problem. Our boys, Alex and Jamie, both 5, have been inseparable for over three years. The night before last we had a bad wind storm and they had a huge fight. First thing I knew was I heard a HUGE crash then screaming cats. No evidence of anything falling over in the house so we think something, possibly a garbage can, crashed into it and startled the cats. We're keeping them separate and have started 2 Feliway diffusers and have seen some improvement in the past 36 hours. But I'm so heartbroken. They went to the closed door between them and cry so my sister let them both out. All was fine for a few minutes until one went in to the bedroom and the other followed. A few minutes later they started growling so I seperated them again. Now I'm being labeled the bad guy because I'm insisting we go by the book to reintroduce them!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise