Cats Squabbling After Months of Being Civil

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We adopted our third cat, Ruby, back on July 21st after which we went through a slow introduction to introduce her to our two resident cats Carrot (male) and Angua (female). There was a bit of normal hissing at first but they soon became friends and started playing with each other. There was just one incident where my husband was playing a video where there was an angry cat and this made Ruby poof up and Carrot did the same. They then attacked each other, but no one got hurt and we separated them right away.

Since then they have been doing well together sleeping together, grooming each other, and playing. Carrot and Ruby rough house often, wrestling and chasing each other. That was all good up until about two weeks ago. For some reason, they've started poofing up at each other randomly, then they begin screaming and attacking each other. Last weekend they did this early in the morning, waking everyone in the house. It looked like they'd been wrestling, went into the poofing mode and then Carrot got his teeth caught in Ruby's collar. Her collar is a break away one so it was laying on the ground. After this incident, they couldn't be in the same room for a few hours. If we let them see each other they would start raising up their hair again. After a couple of hours they were totally buddies again and even shared a window perch and slept together. 

This kind of behavior has continued, with them randomly turning to attack each other. No one ever gets hurt, but there is a lot of yowling and both cats make themselves look huge. Angua is sometimes a trigger for these situations. She doesn't play with Ruby much, and sometimes will hiss if Ruby wants to play and she doesn't want to. This especially seems to set Carrot off, making him go after Ruby. If Angua hisses even at our dog, he will glare at Ruby and start some kind of confrontation. Other times, they seem to arbitrarily lock eyes setting off some kind of a reaction that has both of them getting all puffed up. 

We've just been separating them whenever they do this. They are fine and are good friends most of the day, but often at night or in the morning they get nasty with each other. Has anyone else dealt with something like this before? What can be done to get them to stop acting this way?

Cataria

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sounds like redirected aggression! Something is triggering them to be irritated or fearful, and they are taking it out on the nearest target. Perfect example, the sound of Angua's hissing upset Carrot so he felt he had to retaliate at something, so he went after Ruby. Ruby doesn't know why this is happening, so she starts to get distrustful of Carrot and starts challenging him for dominance. The eyes locking, for example -- if they both stare at each other and neither looks away, that is a challenge and it will turn into a dominance fight.

The more it happens, the more they start getting distrustful of each other and the worst the reactions and their relationships.

Some suggestions I have seen for dealing with redirected aggression:
  • Find the trigger of the original aggression, and remove it. In this case, if it is just Angua hissing when she wants to be left alone or hissing at the dog, doesn't seem like an option.
  • Pheromones like Feliway.
  • Separating the cats, like you have been doing, to give them a chance to cool off and not cause more fights with each other that will hurt their relationship. During the separation periods, you can purposely bring them together for treats or other things they all like so they associate positive experiences with each other again.
  • If you notice Carrot and Ruby staring at each other, interrupt them before it turns into a fight. This would be a good time to pet them both, to exchange their scents to remind them who the other cat is and that they do actually like each other, or to give treats so they might learn to not immediately associate every aggressive body language as a bad thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the advice. We have been using some Feliway- but I'm not sure the location is ideal and the refill is beginning to run low.  

Part of the problem may be that Ruby has a crazy amount of energy and needs to be played with more, but for some reason her playing seems to make Carrot nervous and on edge. 

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will be picking up Feliway tomorrow. Earlier they had two incidents both when they were getting ready to eat. One was first thing when Carrot jumped up next to the Ruby and scared her causing her to upset the water dish. The next one was at the meal after that, Carrot glared at her while they were eating and they both dove at each other for no reason. They've had their third meal and there was nothing wrong then. I just don't know how to stop them from acting like this. We've been being positive with them all day petting them when they are around each other. Hopefully more of this will make the difference. 

Cataria

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Interesting! I wonder -- have you seen those calming collars? I've used the Sentry brand on a feral before, and it seemed to help. I'm curious if putting a calming collar on Carrot help him be less reactive to situations that make him nervous and fearful. Sounds like he is also misinterpreting Ruby's playing as aggression, in some cases. How old is Ruby, by the way?

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Carrot is 4 years old and Ruby and Angua are both a year old. Ruby had a litter of babies before being taken to the shelter- so I get the idea that she is used to rough and tumble kitten play. Carrot was raised by humans and had no mom- so he has been known to misread cat signals. 

We use calming collars at the shelter- but I worry about using them in this case since they have been known to not break away properly and with the cats all wrestling a lot I'm afraid someone would get strangled. 

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday they were at each other constantly- today it is back to just playing, wrestling, and sleeping up in carrot's favorite spot. I don't know what their deal is. And the new feliway diffuser can't be working that quickly.