Cat’s spay incision

fancyferal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So Daphne got spayed on Tuesday, which you’d never know by how energetic she was when she got home.
I’m posting a picture of her incision because I feel like it looks a little funny and don’t know if it’s healing properly. Despite my best efforts she has continued to jump and run and play at every opportunity, and even the sedative the vet prescribed will only keep her down for an hour or two.
While she reacted really badly to the cone and the onesie we tried out on her, she hasn’t really licked the incision except lightly as part of her grooming routine so we’ve just kept a close eye on her and redirected if needed. She also hasn’t seemed to be in visible pain, although she’s very vocal (but that might be because she’s mad we won’t play very vigorously with her).
Does the incision look normal to you for this stage in the healing process? Is there anything else I can do to keep her calm? Confining her isn’t an option as she’s small enough to get under our doors and clever enough to move or rip apart anything we put under the door to block her. Also included a normal pic to reassure you she may be a little gremlin but she’s also very cute.

Attachments

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It looks fine to me, I cant see any redness, weeping or swelling and its not open. Just keep an eye on it. She is hard work for you at the moment but worth it, such a pretty cat.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Does the incision look normal to you for this stage in the healing process? Is there anything else I can do to keep her calm? Confining her isn’t an option as she’s small enough to get under our doors and clever enough to move or rip apart anything we put under the door to block her. Also included a normal pic to reassure you she may be a little gremlin but she’s also very cute.
How old is Daphne?
She is gorgeous, btw. And yes, very, very, cute. :loveeyes:
Cannot see the gremlin in her,...but I will take your word on it. :lol:

The incision does not look bad.
Just a little odd,...in that it looks like the Vet either used surgical glue to close the 'skin layer'...or else Daphne already pulled out some stitches.??
When you first came home on Tuesday,...do you remember seeing any absorbable stitches/sutures?
Or was the spay site just closed with surgical glue?

What might have happened is that a scab formed...and fell off...so what you are now seeing is the spay site...a little more wet or pinkish.
Just keep an eye out...for any larger openings, white or yellow discharge, hot skin temperature at the site.

If she is young, I don't think you have to do anything to keep her calm.
Young cats heal quite quickly...and there are usually three layers of sutures...the abdominal wall layer, the sub q layer, and final skin layer...which some Vets just close with glue.

Keep taking photos, and just compare them day to day.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It really doesn't look bad. No redness, swelling, or oozing pus. But I'm glad I don't take my clothes to him for tailoring...I've seen neater work. That said, it seems to be healing just fine, and no one will mind a wonky scar when the fur grows in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fancyferal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How old is Daphne?
She is gorgeous, btw. And yes, very, very, cute. :loveeyes:
Cannot see the gremlin in her,...but I will take your word on it. :lol:

The incision does not look bad.
Just a little odd,...in that it looks like the Vet either used surgical glue to close the 'skin layer'...or else Daphne already pulled out some stitches.??
When you first came home on Tuesday,...do you remember seeing any absorbable stitches/sutures?
Or was the spay site just closed with surgical glue?

What might have happened is that a scab formed...and fell off...so what you are now seeing is the spay site...a little more wet or pinkish.
Just keep an eye out...for any larger openings, white or yellow discharge, hot skin temperature at the site.

If she is young, I don't think you have to do anything to keep her calm.
Young cats heal quite quickly...and there are usually three layers of sutures...the abdominal wall layer, the sub q layer, and final skin layer...which some Vets just close with glue.

Keep taking photos, and just compare them day to day.
We’re not sure because she was a feral but somewhere around 6-9 months. She’s just tiny (barely 5 pounds!). And believe me, she’s a stinker!
I’m kicking myself for not taking daily pictures to get an idea of how it’s healing, because I don’t really remember what it looked like on the first day. I didn’t see any visible stitches but the incision is so small anyway I might have missed them.
Today I actually did end up taking her to the emergency vet because of some yellow discharge and a bit of blood but they said it looked fine. I did get them to help me put a collar on, which she HATES but I want to leave it on for a few days for my own peace of mind. I’m still going to my regular vet first thing Monday to make sure but I guess I’m just overreacting. 😅

fancyferal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It really doesn't look bad. No redness, swelling, or oozing pus. But I'm glad I don't take my clothes to him for tailoring...I've seen neater work. That said, it seems to be healing just fine, and no one will mind a wonky scar when the fur grows in.
The emergency vet today actually commented that it’s one of the smallest incisions she’s ever seen. She did scrape it today on something and a little blood came out but they said it shouldn’t be a cause for concern, and that the incision is so small it probably wouldn’t even be a big deal if it did open up a little. So I’m just keeping an eye on it for now.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
We’re not sure because she was a feral but somewhere around 6-9 months. She’s just tiny (barely 5 pounds!). And believe me, she’s a stinker!
I’m kicking myself for not taking daily pictures to get an idea of how it’s healing, because I don’t really remember what it looked like on the first day. I didn’t see any visible stitches but the incision is so small anyway I might have missed them.
Today I actually did end up taking her to the emergency vet because of some yellow discharge and a bit of blood but they said it looked fine. I did get them to help me put a collar on, which she HATES but I want to leave it on for a few days for my own peace of mind. I’m still going to my regular vet first thing Monday to make sure but I guess I’m just overreacting. 😅
Sounds great that the ER Vet said everything looks fine. :thumbsup:
Maybe you could just...email or text some updated photos...to your regular Vet...since the ER vet okayed it. :idea:

I guess I am a little too overly cautious too, then. :paperbag:
It's just that the way it had bunched up,...and then the darker areas to the left and right of the incision site, looked odd to me.
(but yeah, I'm no vet or vet tech...but I would have done the same, as you, ..if I saw any yellow discharge, too.)

If I ask you for some more updated photos of your pretty gremlin Daphne...you might hesitate now...thinking cautious cat nap is not the one to ask...for any solid advice. She's too critical of incision sites.:doh:
Actually sometimes photos are all a matter of perspective and view...so I really am glad that you got your little one checked.:)

Really though, feel free to show any more photos, of any side of Daphne. :camera:
I would love to see more photos of this five pound ball of energy. :blush:
It's hard to remember that our cats were once this small, and tiny, too.

fancyferal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe you could just...email or text some updated photos...to your regular Vet...since the ER vet okayed it. :idea:

It's just that the way it had bunched up,...and then the darker areas to the left and right of the incision site, looked odd to me.
(but yeah, I'm no vet or vet tech...but I would have done the same, as you, ..if I saw any yellow discharge, too.)

If I ask you for some more updated photos of your pretty gremlin Daphne...you might hesitate now...thinking cautious cat nap is not the one to ask...for any solid advice. She's too critical of incision sites.:doh:
Actually sometimes photos are all a matter of perspective and view...so I really am glad that you got your little one checked.:)

Really though, feel free to show any more photos, of any side of Daphne. :camera:
I’m so sorry I’m just now seeing this but totally happy to share cat pics! We’ve had her for about a month and a half and she’s still a giant stinker but so cute and loving that I can’t even be mad when I wake up to her attacking my feet or knocking all the bottles off the sink.

fancyferal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

6B5465B7-8E7F-49AC-A769-4D817E951CC6.jpeg
37DEBAC2-476B-4F71-BCA5-6F3BBF37E658.jpeg
2CF8791D-36E5-4D4D-B031-A0FC608B6F46.jpeg

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m so sorry I’m just now seeing this but totally happy to share cat pics! We’ve had her for about a month and a half and she’s still a giant stinker but so cute and loving that I can’t even be mad when I wake up to her attacking my feet or knocking all the bottles off the sink.
*smile*...no worries. Thank you for the photos. It totally made my day. :)

Daphne's markings look stunning.:loveeyes:
It's as though someone took a paintbrush, and painted on 'brush strokes' on her legs, face, eyes, ears, and tail.

I cannot believe that she actually looks to be a bit larger in size,..to your chihuahua...or maybe that's just the camera angle.
Hoping that Daphne is treating her chihuahua sister, a bit better than she is treating you...lol...meaning allowing her dog friend to sleep, and not hiding all the dog toys, either. :crossfingers:

Knocking all your bottles off the sink...is kind of what cats do.
I think it comes under the terms of 'cats keeping the house tidy for their humans'...or some 'cat logical way of sorting the bottles'...idk. lol. :crackup::hide: :lol: :wink:
"no expensive perfume bottles allowed" out in plain sight,...is another 'cat rule', too. I believe. :eek2::jawdrop: :dunno::agree:

That last photo is quite interesting, in that Daphne very much blends in with the fluffiness of the blanket.
Looks like she is pretending to be a blanket in that photo, or just taking a break from working on her ipad. :blush: :cloud9:

Some of these photos definitely deserve to be in other sections of this Site, either here:
Fur Pictures and Videos Only!
or with her dog friend, here:
Other Pets & Animals

And of course more members would see them here: New Cats on the Block

Thank you again, they are extremely cute.:) :cloud9:
And if you have some time, and want to understand why Daphne knocks everything down, or wakes you up...then it might just be explained here: :wink:...or not.
post funny picture and memes here
See post #6470 and post #6474