Cats sniff each others butts then attack each other?

PhysicalSadness

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know it's quite weird, but my cats smell each others butts then start fighting, I'm very concerned and I want to know why they do this, they never exactly liked each other, but I just want to know why they attack each other after sniffing each other?

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Fighting or playing? Sniffing butts is how animals greet each other.

Do the hiss and growl at each other or draw blood?

If they are just kind of rough housing and ankle biting they are playing.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One cat getting close to the other for any purpose can sometimes trigger play. Like if one licks the other, sometimes that could lead to a play fighting session. My young one used to do "lick, lick, bite" -- like a tootsie rolll thing, he couldn't just do grooming. Of if one glomps onto the other as a convenient pillow/for affection, that could lead to play fighting too.

Catwoman1985

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know it's quite weird, but my cats smell each others butts then start fighting, I'm very concerned and I want to know why they do this, they never exactly liked each other, but I just want to know why they attack each other after sniffing each other?
It’s not a weird question I’m sorry but I had to laugh because my older cat will sniff my kitten butt and then her mouth stays open with a wtf face and it cracks me up every time because she will try to hold him down to clean his booty but cats have scent glands there it’s probably play fighting you would know if it’s a fight growling and fur flying but a cat will hiss to let the other cat know they are done they had enough does not necessarily mean it’s a aggressive hiss

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PhysicalSadness

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Fighting or playing? Sniffing butts is how animals greet each other.

Do the hiss and growl at each other or draw blood?

If they are just kind of rough housing and ankle biting they are playing.
they scratch each other, really hard, and hiss, my older cat has always been territorial though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PhysicalSadness

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One cat getting close to the other for any purpose can sometimes trigger play. Like if one licks the other, sometimes that could lead to a play fighting session. My young one used to do "lick, lick, bite" -- like a tootsie rolll thing, he couldn't just do grooming. Of if one glomps onto the other as a convenient pillow/for affection, that could lead to play fighting too.
I don't think they're playing though, they hiss and scratch each other.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the sniff is a greeting, followed by “and yeah, I still hate you”. Just letting each other know where they stand. If no one is getting seriously hurt, then this is just what their relationship will be.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as I know, cats don't usually recognise another cat as friend or foe by sight, which is why there is sudden fighting between two cats, who have always been friendly towards each other, after one comes back from the vet or returns after escaping and smells different from normal.
Smell is more important than sight and butt-smelling is a way of determing whether the other cat is friend or foe. If friend - then they may "kiss" (mouth to mouth) or ignore each other, but if foe, then hissing and growling - "get off my back!"

P PhysicalSadness Your cats seem to be a bit unsure about "friend or foe" so they have to smell each other's butt. At least there is still a chance that the emnity will cease - if it was so inherent in their relationship they wouldn't bother sniffing - just attack!

nix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I rarely signup for forums, but since I got here from a the first result of the query I searched and you sighted the exact circumstance of my kitties I had to reply.

I have one skittish cat and one lover cat. Almost everytime they are near the skittish cat will try to smell the lover cats butt, most of the time they will end up sniffying each other slightly before they both sit near each other and lick each other no more then 3 times before the skittish cat hisses and smack/paws the lover kitty. He seems dumbfounded everytime and sort of backs off. It's almost clockwork which makes it a bit funny at times but leaves me feeling bad for the lover kitty who clearly wishes to be friends. This happens every day multiple times a day and never escalates beyond a his and a smack.

Usually I would have read all of these replies and just noted that it was common behavior. However I'm interested mostly because I have been able to connect with this black cat for the first time since its original owner died. It was his cat for a decade. I was a caregiver and I was rarely able to come near the skittish cat, only touching her a few times (no shortage of attempts). The lover kitty has been open and loving towards me for several years. Now after 8 months of his passing away and me inheriting both of these cats, I have made great headway with both of them... but most surprising is the drastic difference in the skittish cat. Now the skittish cat who I was never able to touch has basically befriended me and will snuggle. She is goofy but she'll jump up and rest on my lap and loves a good intense brushing and fairly vigorous petting. It really blew my mind how much she's opened up. However she still does this sniff sniff slap! We live in a very small house together

Is it possible for me to aid the skittish kitty to be more comfortable with her friendly roomate? He seems like he wants to be her friend but it always ends the same... sniff sniff and a lick or two then SLAP Hiss walk away. I wouldn't have asked if I hadn't seen such a transformation in her and it gives me some hope there might be a trick or two I could deploy to help her mellow out on the sniff trigger. I've never seen them fight.

Any ideas?