Cats significantly fatter after vacation

Sunnyryuji

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all. Sorry if this isn't the correct board, feel free to move or delete.

I just returned home from a 6 day trip. During the time I was gone my cats were looked after by a pet sitter through a professional pet sitting service. This sitter has looked after my cats twice before and has done a pretty good job.

However this time upon returning, both cats seem to be at least 3 pounds heavier! I checked their food and the correct amount is missing so I don't think she overfed, but it seems quite a bit of treats are missing. I wonder could they really have gotten so much fatter from just treats?? I am definitely going to cut the treats for a few weeks but I am just shocked.

Has anyone else had this problem with a pet sitter? Also, any tips for helping to cut the weight? Currently I feed them each one small can of wet tiki cat food in the morning and night.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Could they be bloated from the extra salt in the treats? I left for a week after adopting a stray and my boyfriend overfed the kibble. He was sick and the kitty howled to go outside a lot. After a week she was barrelshaped. It’s too little time to gain much weight so we assumed she was bloated. :dunno:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If anything, mine usually don't eat as much when we're gone, although I must admit it's been a LONG time since we've taken a vacation :frown:.

I'd just cut back on their treats, as you suggested, and that should do the trick. I seriously doubt that they actually gained three pounds in six days, especially since you checked and their food seems to be as it should be. Is that even possible to gain that much that quickly?

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you think your cats gained weight due to extra treats, if you cut out extra treats they should return to their previous weight. Maybe it was extra treats plus less activity when you weren't home.