Cats semi-fighting/suggestions?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
I noticed that since putting her in the cat room on the tree with Charlie, she hasn't had much issues with him or Milo. She stood with him for a few this morning while I tried the feather again. She didn't play, but she did watch him play a bit. She hissed at Gracie when Gracie came over, then eventually took off to her chair again - but she didn't hiss/yowl and Gracie was more interested in the feather than Mia.

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
Update:

Put the diffuser in. I'm a lil cautious about leaving it in over night or when we're not home... so i've been taking it out when we go to bed. I can't say for sure if it's helping but there is less hissing and running after Mia, so maybe? I don't know how much of that is contributed to me playing with them daily.

I played with them in the kitchen today. Mia stayed on her chair, but she DID play and she didn't lean over to hiss at them when they came near. I used the toy to re-direct ehr whenever I saw her warily looking at them and that seemed to work.

The calming spray I bought also came in but... I'm a lil sus of it. It came looking pretty beat up, like it was worn. No safety seal. It almost looked like it had been used and re-filled. We asked for a refund and I'm probably gonna just throw this one out because I'm not sure I feel comfortable using it... I wouldn't be so worried if there was a safety seal on it. It also had some moisture in the packaging so..

1675783365218.png

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
Update:
I got the diffuser but it gets so hot I don't feel comfortable leaving it in 24/7 so I take it out when I leave the house (which isn't often) or go to sleep. i sucked it up and started using the spray too. Neither seem to be helping, I don't think. Mia's still ornery with them and they still bother her, though Gracie is the worst.
It's getting to be a problem mainly because of her litter box use.

The other day I thought progress was being made, because she sat on the counter with Milo and Charlie both and sniffed them without hissing. But then today she meowed several times and I wasn't thinking and she peed when I didn't pick her up and carry her to her litter box.

She doesn't always need to be carried? I have to assume she's going at some point because I don't see/smell pee anywhere in the house and only notice it right when she does it but most of the time I pick her up and carry her back there when she meows at me.
we're going to take her to the vet tomorrow. I don't understand why she's acting like this. It doesn't make sense.

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
Let us know what they say :vibes: :hugs:
We haven't gotten to take her due to bad weather =(
She pooped outside of the box again. It's like she has an aversion to going into the back

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
Update:
We've been using the diffuser a lot and giving her cat calming treats that she seems to love. She's been more social within the kitchen, and less hissy over all, however we're still having issues with me needing to take her to the back for her to go to the bathroom. It's as if she holds it until she can't anymore.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's like she has an aversion to going into the back
It's as if she holds it until she can't anymore.
I apologize, I haven't looked back through your thread so you might have already addressed this, but these two thoughts have me wondering if there's something to this. Is there a different litterbox arrangement you could set up?

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
I apologize, I haven't looked back through your thread so you might have already addressed this, but these two thoughts have me wondering if there's something to this. Is there a different litterbox arrangement you could set up?
So the thing with our house is we live in Louisiana so no basement. It's a mobile home (double wide) so while it's big, it's mainly long. The reason we set up the cat room (back in august, this has been an issue since december) is because it's really the only free space we had. All our rooms are open, so if we put a cat box in the main entrance, you'll smell it in the living room/kitchen. We're thinking of trying that, however, since she WON'T go back to the cat room. I don't understand why though, when she had no issue before.

She freaks out when the other cats mess with her and runs, which only makes them mess with her more. If she would just SMACK them back, I know they'd leave her alone. She's the only one who runs and freaks, and thus the only one who gets targeted.

They never attack her. They just mess with her.

I still haven't gotten to take her in because I'm sick x.x Been down with the flu for a week.

The only other option I can think of is once my room gets repaired, I set up a box and dish and stuff in there for her, and just let her live in my bedroom. As it is she NEVER leaves the chair in the kitchen anyway. At least in my room she'd have some freedom to move around.

I can't rehome her, because I know her x.x she doesn't bond easy or well at ALL.

When we adopted her, she had been separated from her littermates because she'd had a stomach bug or something. So she never got to be raised with Jasper/her other siblings. She was kept by a foster in a cage with a bunch of other animals in the room, so I think that's probably where the start.

The other issue is def Gracie seems to target her A LOT. I'm not entirely sure how to stop it. They used to cuddle together when Gracie was small. I honestly don't get what happened to change. I don't think they ever had a fight, because we're always home and would have heard it.

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
Distancing Gracie doesn't seem to help. I've tried just about everything to distract/move her and she just does it all over again as soon as the chance arises.

This time, however, I watched Gracie, Milo, Jasper AND Charlie literally chase Mia back whenever she tried to come out to use the litter box. I had to carry her into the cat room.

There are SEVEN litter boxes in there, I can't imagine they are being territorial. It's as if they are purposely blocking her in the kitchen, and I don't know how to stop it.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think that if you can, keep trying to find a way to help Mia or keep doing what you have been until your room is done and she can go in there :vibes::heartshape:

I apologize if you said, but do you have a way to place litterboxes elsewhere? Or even one by her kitchen chair?

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
I think that if you can, keep trying to find a way to help Mia or keep doing what you have been until your room is done and she can go in there :vibes::heartshape:

I apologize if you said, but do you have a way to place litterboxes elsewhere? Or even one by her kitchen chair?
We're gonna try a vet visit tomorrow.

And yeah, I'm gonna see if there is a way we can rig one up that the dogs can't get into. One of the issues is one of our dogs has to stay in the kitchen, because prior to us finding her, she was poorly trained and has accidents on the carpet

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - I just responded to a new thread where a somewhat similar situation is occurring although there, they're not sure if it might be redirected aggression.

In any case, what happened at the vet? Were you able to set up another litterbox? Something I suggested for the other OP was this method, maybe it would help in your situation?

Either with vanilla or raw coconut (which still has fragrance) ;

From valanhb valanhb
You put a dab of vanilla extract under the chins, at the base of their neck (by the spine) and at the base of the tail (again, on the spine not the underside of the tail!) of all of the cats to make them smell the same. Cats recognize each other by scent, so if that kitty smells the same as "me", the he must be a friend. Kitty logic at it's finest.

This trick works when introducing cats into the household as well, or during a reintroduction after a redirected aggression event.

Also, it's possible that Cat Music might also help.