Cats seem to like Vicks Vaporub!

subee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I put some of this on me and one of my cats is following me around as if I was a big bag of catnip. Smelling and licking and rubbing. I have not let her come any closer to the stuff than smelling my hands and clothes. I know catnip is a member of the mint family. Is this the reason Baby Sugar thinks I am a big catnip toy now? Can this harm her?

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No vet that I know is a big advocate of this stuff around cats. I use it when I have kittens to smear on things they like to bite, because the stuff is so strong that they will stay away from it. I would not let your cat to near it though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

subee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am keeping her away from it. But when I first put it on she jumped me and was rubbing and purring. I was pretty sure that she should not get it on her but she wanted it so bad. I had washed my hands but you know how potent that stuff is and she was rubbing and smelling. It really made me wonder as the other three cats showed no interest.
Thanks for the info. I will keep checking!

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 2 cats that love it. I know it is probably not the best thing in the world for them, but the several times they have managed to lick some off of me, it hasn't hurt them. They love the smell. I rubbed some on my chest a few nights ago, and woke up with both of them sleeping on top of me. Fred gets seasonal allergies, and I will let him briefly sniff the jar if he seems really stuffed up. He seems more comfortable afterward.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

subee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so glad someone else knows what I mean about the passion that Baby showed in trying to get close to the smell. I am also glad to hear that there are no bad reactions to it.

Cats Krause 2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just so happened to google that same question! My answer came from a pg where a Vet answers questions & He said, "That small of an mount won't hurt her if she licks a little.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
One of mine really loves the smell of Vicks too. However, the taste is way stronger than the smell!

Be careful not to let your cat lick the rub. It won't cause them any harm, but it tastes dreadful and will make the cat drool and paw at her mouth.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine doesn't like the smell of Vicks Vaporrub but they do like the smell of my biofreeze or Degree deoderant.

HouseTigerMama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a cat that went nuts for muscle rub!! I wonder what ingredients are common to both?