cats ready to be alone together? (newly introduced)

dorianscats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We took in a stray about 5 weeks ago, got him neutered, vaccinated, tested for FIV/FeLV, etc. Once we knew he was healthy, we began to try to do a very slow, careful introduction to our resident cat, following the advice in several cat behavior books, trading scents between the cats, etc.

For the last week or so, we allow the cats to be together when we're keeping an eye on them (and giving lots of treats for calm behavior in each other's presence), but we're leaving for a 4 day camping trip soon. Our cat sitter is fully competent to feed, but not enough of a cat lover (and too busy) to sit and supervise cats who are getting to know each other. So the question is, do we allow both cats to have the run of the house together while we're gone? Or do we lock the new cat back in the (decent-sized) bathroom where he lived for several weeks, and where we still put him when we're out of the house and at night, and continue the getting-to-know-each-other process when we're back?

When the two cats are together, most of the time there's no drama at all. However, the resident cat is definitely still NOT happy about the new one's presence. They spend a lot of time having stare-down contests, just sitting and glaring at each other (5 year old female resident, 1 year old male new cat). She hisses at him a couple times a day, mostly when he gets too close to her, and she chases him occasionally (I always interrupt and separate them when chasing begins, so I don't know how long it would go on or if the aggression would escalate). That's about as bad as it gets.

The resident cat has never growled at or attempted to scratch or bite the new cat, and she has never puffed up her fur to "make herself big" in his presence. But one set of cat introduction guidelines we have says never to leave cats alone together unsipervised until they are both exhibiting 100% friendly behavior for a full week, and we're definitely not there yet.

Opinions? We'd really like this pair to learn to get along -- we lived for many years with a pair we introduced who despised each other their entire lives.

----
Oh, a bit of additional information:

Because of the layout of our house, we really don't have another room that can be used to lock the new cat in, or good way to divide the house, other than keeping Mr. New in the bathroom.

I'm not comfortable using Feliway right now because I'm pregnant, and I've read that there's some debate about the safety of synthetic pheromones on developing fetuses. Doesn't seem worth taking the chance.

mimi3908

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not easy situation to evaluate. We were in a similar situation about 3 months ago and to this day, our kitties aren't 100% friendly to each other but I've left them alone for a good 12 hours and come back seeing both relaxed in their perches (thank goodness). Early on, our new bigger female would stalk the smaller one constantly and showed aggression to the smaller resident one - but as time went by her aggressive behavior toned down quite a bit. Now, our kitties hang out quite often but they are not best of friends - from time to time they still hiss, growl and slap each other. We were most concern about food bowl sharing and kitty litter sharing. Once we saw that they were willing to eat next to each other and share the litter with no problems for weeks and counting.. we were comfortable that they don't need to be best of friends to co-exist. I'm sure others have kitties that really get along but I'm not sure that will be the case every time. I believe as long as the kitties won't fight over food and will share littler box, then you can probably rest assure that they can be left alone. For a time, I also thought about leaving the dominant kitty in a separate room when I'm not home. Now I leave my cats alone for a good day and come back to see them quite relaxed and mainly sleeping lazying around.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Welcome to the Forums, DoriansCats and Mimi!

Dorian, I presume you had already your journey? How did you did? How did they did?

My impression is, your cats are getting along just fine, and it will be still better with time. By the way, how are you doing at the nights? Nights are often the big "peace maker" in such situations, they getting agree on their own (AFTER good introduction of course, not instead!).

BTW the chasing you talk about MAY be a sort of playing! Chasing games are often the first play together the begin with!!!
A little rough in the beginning - but still - just playing.

In your situation I would recommend to separate them during the journey.
Not because it is really necessary, I believe they are OK, but for your peace of mind and possibility for you to relax during your mini-leave.

Better safe than sorry.

You do have this big bathroom, excellent.
If you hadnt, a big dog cage could be OK. There is nothing as "I want to rescue / separate them, but I dont have any place". If you really want, and really dont have place, not even a bathroom, you can use a big dog cage. It is not optimal, but it is better than nothing. In fact, there ARE forumites who are succesfull rescuers and fosters, and she does use a big dog cage as her cat-space...
As said, not optimal, but can be done.

Mimi, your advice about this rule of thumb: If they can eat together and use the litter together without problems, so they can also live together without real problems - it sounds feasible. I too believe it is so.
Tx for this reminding.

Good luck!